• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

5th gear whine Nevada 750

faza

Just got it firing!
just picked up a 2001 Nevada, only 26,000kms and 5th gear sounds like a bag of marbles has been let loose in the gearbox... is this normal? will it blow up?

Whine or marbles?

A whine would probably be fully normal due to the straight-cut gear wheels. Don't really know since I always use ear plugs..:laugh:

If you are the happy owner of a centerstand, or can rig the bike otherwise so you can spin the back wheel freely, try do so, pull the plugs, put it in 5th and spin the wheel while you're listening (You'll probably need a helping hand for this), using a screwdriver as a stethoscope.
I do not really believe in a bad bearing, should be noticeable in any gear, but you should be able to localize from where the sound appears this way.
If the marbles are in the gearbox? I would probably disassemble it looking for something broken.

I'll tell you what peeves me, is spending 20 minutes writing a detailed response, hitting submit and then losing the post and being automatically logged out. :angry:

I can't be bothered writing the whole lot again but here's the basic nuts and guts.

If it is a whine it may be nothing. If its rattly marbles then you probably have real problems.

Is it whining around 4-4500rpm? Have a listen in all gears to see if it whines a bit too. 5th will be the worst.

The small block gearbox needs 1litre of oil but if you put that in it will spit out the breather. You need to modify the breather to have a hose that you raise and attach to the frame as high as possible.

Some boxes whine, some don't. I have one that does and one that doesn't. I use 1 litre of 80W90 with 30% oil stabilizer in the noisy box and it quietens it. MOreys and Lucas make it and maybe others.

Thanks guys... all helpful...especially the gearbox oil tip...as that was another problem (oil dripping from the breather hose) guess there is a lot to learn about this machine.. I will try all this - just been quoted US$1000 to strip the gearbox so if I can avoid that all the better.

I have a similar whine on Breva 750 but it only seems to be in third (not 5th or any other gear). Would this be similar to the above where it may be sorted with some extra oil?

If so is someone able to post up some pics or provide a detailed explanation for an absolute novice (like myself) on how to modify the breather?

Possibly. :unsure:

The small block gearbox has straight cut gears so they are prone to whining. 5th is usually the loudest as its what we sit in at highway speeds and gets a tougher work out.

One of my V65's whines in all gears, 5th loudest, the other hardly at all. It is possible that the whine in 3rd is just from the straight cut teeth and a bit of wear on the hardening but not all noises that come from the box are that.

The small block gearbox is pretty reliable but some components, like bearings may fail.

I'd stick 30% oil stabiliser in it and see how it sounds if it was mine. B)

I think, but am not sure, that the breva gear box should have a plate added that the earlier small blocks lacked. It allows for the full 1L of lube w/o puking it out from the breather plug. That is something I read on the internet so may or may not be the case but I know I can get 1 L with no overflow into my breva gearbox. It sings at about 4000-4500 rpms in third fourth and fifth.

As I understand it the fix for the earlier smallblock gearboxes was to either get a breather plug with a hole in it, I think Moto International sells them, or mod your plug with a hole (not while in the gearbox of course). Then attach a length of hose to the plug and run it up alongside the frame under the gas tank. You don't want to leave the top end completely open so block it loosely with a little bung. This way the vapors can escape but the overflow gets trapped int he hose and when things cool back down it drains back down into the gearbox. I don't think you would need to do this to a breva though. Hopefully someone will correct me if need be.

Are you sure it is gear oil coming from the breather plug? does it smell like gear oil? If the engine oil sump is overfilled oil will drip from the airbox but the puddle will be right behind the gearbox breather plug. If it is coming from a hose then it should be engine oil as the gearbox on the breva ain't got no breather hoses, just the plug.

This is due to gear picking, very common on V65, I didn't know newer models have the same problem...
The main problem is the noise, to fully remove the noise you will have to exchange the picked gears and also the bearings, then do the mod of the breather tube and add, more oil.
Time ago I did the mod of the breather long tube on my V65C and it works great... and it is curious because on this model the specified oil is SAE 90-140W...

:) all great advice here... will keep me busy for a few weekends anyway... apart from the whine everythings fine....sorry.

Back