Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

6000 mile service - gaps, plugs, a tip, thoughts etc.

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by Touringman, Jul 26, 2015.

1. PaulDavies

PaulDavies Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Just throwing it out there, because getting it wrong is a major PITA (not to say expense). NGK has a website here that says 9ft lbs for 10mm plugs into Alu heads, but there are lots of factors involved i'm sure and I'm not claiming any knowledge other that what's listed here

https://ngksparkplugs.com/en/resources/spark-plug-installation

Having said that I've noticed that my plugs have a tendancy in the 1400 to work their way loose if not done tight enough

TravelinPawPaw and V700Steve like this.
  2. Moto-Uno

Moto-Uno Cruisin' Guzzisti

Strange you should mention that , I checked my valves at 10k and found 2 rather untight
    plugs in the process , the sealing gaskets weren't even fully compressed . Peter

3. sir fred

sir fred Cruisin' Guzzisti

I can not see how a plug could loosen. They are held by the rubber spark plug boot of which can be rather difficult to remove from the spark plugs.
    I use anti-seize on my plugs and just snug them up.
    The last thing anybody wants are stripped threads.
    Lubrication will lessen the torque specs.

TravelinPawPaw likes this.
  4. PaulDavies

I always assumed it loosened due to thermal expansion and contraction cycles. The heads run hot and the plug/head metals are different. I'm not talking "wobbly" loose, just that 1 plug in particular always needed to be snugged up a smidge whenever I took the covers off. I also put anti-seize on the threads (again just a smidge) and as you know, the friction is part of the torque measurement so removing that friction could easily lead to striped threads (been there, done that, but not on a plug thankfully)

5. PaulDavies

I find compressing the plug gaskets the most scary bit about basic home bike maintenance, especially these tiny 1400 ones. I've spoken to other friends about this and they all agree. You start off by screwing the plug in by hand with an extension bar, then you hit the obvious point where the gaskets contact the head and the torque abruptly increases as they begin to deform and you switch to a wrench. As you continue to torque, It feels like you've gone past the point of snug, to the point where threads are being stripped. Of course you push through the "dry mouth" and "palpitations" phase until you eventually reach the firm and definate point to stop. I guess your previous bike's owner might have bottled out before that point. I know I have in the past. One particular car comes to mind when I think about this.

6. Moto-Uno

Moto-Uno Cruisin' Guzzisti

^ I'm the original owner . And I know your concerns with these 10mm thread plugs , however I've run Z9Y plugs in my twin plugged
    Le Mans 2 for about 1/4 century and never any problems . It really would take considerable torque to break or strip those OEM
    1400 plugs . If you get a chance , look up or better yet ask to see one (Z9Y) at an auto parts store (Lordco).
    Oh yeah , should've mentioned, it had it's first valve check at it's first (and last) service at the dealership . Did they actually check them,
    your guess is as good as mine .

PaulDavies likes this.
  7. PaulDavies

I'm guessing they didn't if they didn't compress the gasket, as you know you really have to remove at least 1 plug each side to overcome cylinder compression and set the valves. I could be generous and say they did and fitted new plugs at the same time - but we'll never know

8. Gmanisintexas

Gmanisintexas Just got it firing!

Thanks Steve for your input on gaping the plugs. With regards to torque specs I've gotten all kinds of feedback regarding why would you torque a plug. I for the most part never have on a Motorcycle, Car or whatever else. However I also own a BMW K1600 GTL Exclusive ad I have and will always do my own work on my bikes. The Germans are notorious for specific and going by torque specs for their bikes. My take is that if the engineers that design these things have developed torque specs then there's a reason for it and I'll take the time when i work on my bikes to follow the spec's for tightening.

Thanks

Gerry

9. V700Steve

V700Steve GT Reference GT di Razza Pura

I went through all that BMW training in 88, hence using a T wrench. I played w/it and came up w/11-12 cause they loosen up at 9. Long study from 09- 15. I really don't care what others do, just me for my customers. I like using a torque wrench, thanks.

TravelinPawPaw likes this.