Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Holiday Greetings. For those asking about Black Friday/Cyber Monday specials... Since we're such a tiny operation, it's tough to offer much... But we're again offering free shipping on $99+ orders to our U.S. customers on any in stock GTM product! Now through Monday at midnight, PST. Use POST-COVID-FREE discount code at checkout on our online Store link above - We truly appreciate your support. PLEASE Support small businesses!

'74 Eldorado Police

Discussion in 'Loop & Tonti' started by fireflyr, Dec 13, 2017.

1. fireflyr

fireflyr Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Drug the T3 and Eldo up to the Navarro River in Mendocino County for some nice coastal riding. Still some work to do on the Eldorado; jetting and break in but it ran well. The T3 was a gas. Explored from Gualala to Fort Bragg. Such a sweet bike.

9.png

11.png

12.png

Trout and GTM® like this.
  2. theoneandonlymin

theoneandonlymin Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Did you stay with the Amals?

Cheers
    Min

3. fireflyr

I did stay with the Amals Min. I was going thru some jetting adjustments yesterday and realized that they had two completely different idle screws installed by the PO. I had a spare set of Amal 930 bodies so I was able to match a pair and it made a huge improvement. I was able to sync them perfectly. It runs great now.

58.png 57.png
    56.png

GTM® likes this.
  4. Trout

Trout GT Reference

Things I miss now:

My old loop frames Guzzi's
    My 850T
    My '58 Morris Minor
    My Mind.

GTM® and fireflyr like this.
  5. fireflyr

I don't miss my mind. It was a strange, terrible place.

GTM® likes this.
  6. fireflyr

Put the Watsonian Monza on the T3........ It made a sweet handling bike into a monster. :worried:

It's first official duty was a post office run to ship some engine parts to the NW.
    6.png

Mounting hardware from Ben at Watsonian Squire.
    8.png

9.png

10.png

7. fireflyr

The car may be going on the Eldorado after all.

11.png

8. fireflyr

The repair I tried on my 5 speed transmission failed. If anyone has a rear case cover I need it. Will pay. Thanks.

.......... or I put the Ambassador 4 speed back in it until I get the 5 speed case fixed.:( Just think how much less complicated my life will be with one less gear.

60.png 61.png 62.png

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  9. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Not sure if an Eldorado rear cover is still available. The speedometer drive location is different from other 5 speeds. My recommendation is to remove the rear cover and find a good welding shop that does heliarc welding.

Edit, just checked and it looks like it is available. harpermoto.com/tr.-cover-13200860.html Cover and bearings may be the way to go. Do get a steel cage double row for the output if your old one cannot be easily swapped.

10. fireflyr

Thanks John. I've got it out to be welded, if that doesn't work then i'll order from Harper's.

11. fireflyr

image.jpg Fixed the oil drain plug with a Helicoil part number 5546-10 on the 4 speed, filled her up with Bell Ray 85-140w gear saver and went out and crunched thru the gears. Fun was had by all. The EldoAssador rides again.

12. fireflyr

This will give me some time to figure out the 5 speed. Thank God for spare parts. A8F6DF16-EF91-4450-8547-4C3C7D477682.jpeg 0F584F48-A707-448D-A9E8-06887A6165DE.jpeg 2229C013-C53D-4F98-8B64-E13F236477C2.jpeg

I tried doing it without removing the gas tank and seat, not sure why, just tired of removing them. Had to slide the engine forward and take the swing arm off but other then that it was minimal tear down.

13. fireflyr

Been a couple of months since I last posted on the Eldo. I ordered some main jets (190 and 200), new needles (124) and new idle screws. Went from a 220 main, not sure on the needle but it was FAT and just ordered new 106 primary jets because the idle was already good. What a huge difference. No flat spots anymore and it starts immediately with the ticklers. It's running 200 main, 106 primary and 124 needle (bottom groove) on the Amal 930's for reference.
    I have the repaired 5 speed ready to go back in (just not the time). It runs great and is a blast to ride. Love this bike.

85.png

86.png

The Lemans is running great too. Adjusted the valves and replaced the carb inner slide cables and sync'd them. Still a little stumble at 3800 rpm, but if I go fast enough through that range I hardly notice it. It's also going to get some superbike bars to replace the clip-ons. My brother and I are planning a ride up the North Coast next year and he's angling for the LMIII. I'm thinking T3 but the Eldorado is quickly becoming my favorite.

If the T3 does go then the sidecar is coming off.

23.png

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  14. fireflyr

Getting the 5 speed re-installed in the Eldorado. This time I don't have to kneel on the floor to do it. The wife got me a HF motorcycle lift for Christmas.

4.png

6.png

7.png

Getting together a parts list to finish up. Will need a clutch cable and some tune up parts. On the last ride the points closed up on me about twenty miles from home. It took me about 30 minutes to figure that one out. Had a screwdriver so I put the bike on the centerstand in 4th gear, rotated the tire until the distributor lobe was lined up and opened the points a smidgen (that's in millimeters). Ran like a champ and when I checked them at home I wasn't off by much. Pays to have your eyeballs calibrated annually. :think:

I'm going to miss the old Ambassador 4 speed. It was a wonderful piece of imprecision and clunk-ish noises.

Trout and Harry H like this.
  15. fireflyr

Also got the rear tires changed on the Le Mans and the T3.

2.png

3.png

8.png

I'm loving the lift. Seems well made (for HF) and stable.

Harry H and GTM® like this.
  16. Harry H

Harry H Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Really enjoyed your journey with the Eldo. I have a '72 being delivered from North Dakota in the next few days. Pretty sure it needs cylinders.

fireflyr likes this.
  17. Amboman

Amboman Cruisin' Guzzisti

Do you lubricate the distributor cam with any sort of grease? I use Bosch Distributor Grease (best stuff for the job IMO).

john zibell likes this.
  18. fireflyr

Thanks for the tip/reminder Amboman. It’s the only thing I have that’s running points and I had forgotten.

I got the 5 speed back in and buttoned up. It’s amazing how much different it feels especially at highway speeds. I’m not sure what the difference is in final gearing but it’s a much more relaxed ride then the 4 speed.

Still have to replace the exhaust system but that can wait. Just going to build some miles on it and enjoy riding it for awhile.

7A553457-E077-4A98-A02A-FBA558FCE5D1.jpeg

5F492241-0B94-4F3F-99E7-6A87DAE159B4.jpeg

19. fireflyr

Harry, did you get your Eldorado yet?

20. Harry H

Harry H Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

IMG_9609.jpeg IMG_8018.jpg
    Yes I did. It's in very nice shape overall but as expected, it needs cylinders. Looks like it just started flaking.