Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Holiday Greetings. For those asking about Black Friday/Cyber Monday specials... Since we're such a tiny operation, it's tough to offer much... But we're again offering free shipping on $99+ orders to our U.S. customers on any in stock GTM product! Now through Monday at midnight, PST. Use POST-COVID-FREE discount code at checkout on our online Store link above - We truly appreciate your support. PLEASE Support small businesses!

'74 Eldorado Police

Discussion in 'Loop & Tonti' started by fireflyr, Dec 13, 2017.

1. fireflyr

fireflyr Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Wow! Beautiful bike. My cylinders were much worse than that and caused some damage but thankfully not to the cam or crankshaft. Looks like you got it stopped early. I ended up replacing the cylinders/ pistons, heads and the cam chain tensioner. The engine only had 20K miles.
    Good luck.

Pat

Harry H likes this.
  2. fireflyr

Was going thru some parts boxes and found the kickstand and spring. When I put the bike back together this time I put the plastic generator cover on, the chrome head savers and the big loop engine guard / highway bars. This gave me the mounting bracket for the kickstand.

It needs paint but looks so cool on the kickstand.
    E5EE2E9B-EFE0-4285-A775-D8D40FAD92C6.jpeg
    7BE30FED-3E0C-4F93-BF59-82D096DFF9BD.jpeg
    D2E357D3-152D-4A77-AF70-E0A9A502FD41.jpeg

3. Harry H

Harry H Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I must have the civilian version of the kickstand, the one on mine is half that length. Makes me a little nervous. Think I'll try and find one like you have.

4. fireflyr

I think I have one of those too although I’m not sure what it mounts to. It’s about 8” long or so.

5. Harry H

Thats the one, I'll take a photo of how it's mounted tomorrow, the bike's at my shop.

6. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

To mount the police style side stand requires the correct engine guard or you have to weld the mounting base to an engine guard.

7. Harry H

Thanks for the info.

8. Amboman

Amboman Cruisin' Guzzisti

And it you use the "police" sidestand on a bike with footpegs, you'll need to fabricate some sort of stop/bumper to prevent the stand from slamming into the muffler.

Harry H and john zibell like this.
  9. J_C

J_C Just got it firing!

Yea, those oversized, locking kickstands were unique to the police models.

Harry H likes this.
  10. fireflyr

Got some miles on that kickstand. It's the most functional stand on any of my Moto Guzzis; go figure it's a HD piece. I'm glad all the parts were with the bike.

"Yea, those oversized, locking kickstands were unique to the police models."

Best thing about it is that you can park it uphill or downhill, the lock won't allow it to fold up.

121.png

120.png

11. fireflyr

Kind of rendered the kickstand issue moot. I couldn’t get it to fall over if I tried now.

97695B95-7CDB-45EF-B717-7CB5B5D4A674.jpeg D1E1C32A-0052-49A2-8921-CDB23EA6FB5B.jpeg AEDBF52F-77EB-4DC7-8F42-AF7188D2145E.jpeg C82C52CA-1DF2-43F2-B0D3-6162477296AE.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    GTM®, Amboman and Harry H like this.
  12. St. James

St. James Just got it firing!

Truly enjoyed reviewing your journey with that fine machine, especially regarding the challenges of getting a +40 year old bike to run reliably. Your confidence in working with old tech is inspiring. Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing.

fireflyr likes this.
  13. fireflyr

Been working on the Eldorado lately. I gave up on the voltage regulator(s) and overcharging my battery (17+ volts) and ordered Kevin's alternator kit from Scrambler Cycle. The VR is gone and only 2 wires are required; one to the coil and one to the battery. Charging is perfect now. I also was given a new set of Lafranconi silencers and bought new header pipes so the exhaust system is all new too including all hardware.
    The left Amal 930 slide seized in the bore and after exploring Dellorto options ($$$$$) and trying to source intakes and hardware I bought a new set of Keihin PWK 30's. They are made to directly replace the Amal carbs so the intakes and throttle cables remain the same. Jetting was an adventure but after getting the correct needles from JRC Engineering everything fell into place. I can't say enough nice stuff about these guys. I had originally bought the carbs from a shop in Seattle but they were absolutely no help in figuring out the jets.
    Justin at JRC sent me the P11/32 needles and with a 38 pilot jet, 128 main jet, needle set in the #3 groove and the air screw 2 turns out it runs great. I'll have to reconfirm but on a 250 mile trip on country roads it got 50 mpg.
    I think it's finally done. It starts immediately, the lights are bright and don't dim/get brighter with rpm and the throttle response is immediate.
    146.png
    147.png
    150.png

14. Blaufeld

Blaufeld Cruisin' Guzzisti

Gorgeous.