• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

'79 v50 electrical question - NEED HELP!

mybrainmelted

Just got it firing!
I recently had my 1979 V50 apart to replace throttle cables and to silicon the airbox where it had split open. I also changed handle bars and grips, and in the process the only electrical connection i took apart was the starter instrument cluster. (disconnected at the plug). I cleaned my bike up some while it was apart, and I got it back together, now I have absolutely no power current. No lights, no instrument lights, no starting, nothing. I thought maybe the battery (odyssey extreme) had died from sitting on the work bench for a couple of weeks, but i plugged in a battery tender and it charged, the voltage rating after was 13.3volts. Im really at a loss because it looks like everything is connected, and short of tearing the whole bike apart im not sure what to do or where to start. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?

I'm not well versed in the older small blocks, but I'd say start with checking the fuses, then re-trace your steps; make sure all connections are good (no bent pins, etc). From faded memory, I believe the power may go through the right bar switch assy as on the older big blocks.

Start with Carl's schematics in the Tech section. The schematic for the 1977 V50 is probably close enough. Then read this. https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/160/3001.html

If you have a test light of volt meter start tracing power. Start at the battery, then diode board (check B+ and +) Next suspect is the ignition switch. Look for power on pin 30, then see if it goes to the fuses when you turn the key on. Just keep tracing, you will find the culprit.

thanks guys. i have to go into work in a couple hours so i wont have a chance to get at it until tomorrow. i suppose a part of me is wondering that when i sprayed it all down with degreaser and hosed off (battery disconnected and out of bike) that maybe i ruined some electrical part. there is a copper wiring coil with a few plugs that leads directly from the starter (the actual starter solenoid), the plastic is all gone and its held there with a zip tie(not my work). not sure of the part name, ill have to check my repair manual. is it possible this part went bad and needs replacement? i will definitely try what youve suggested. if anyone else has any ideas, feel free to share. :)

*ALSO... the tail light is disconnected because im in the process of converting to a cafe style, and i havent found the right one yet. i tried reconnecting the tail light but it still had no power. with no tail light will i have a complete circuit? or could that be a cause?

ok, so i decided to have a quick look-see... and im getting current from the + cable leading from the battery into the starter solenoid, but from the cable leading out into that coil i was talking about, 0 reading. i even tried checking the pin coming out of the starter, and same 0 volts. does this mean my starter is somehow causing the problem?

mybrainmelted said:
ok, so i decided to have a quick look-see... and im getting current from the + cable leading from the battery into the starter solenoid, but from the cable leading out into that coil i was talking about, 0 reading. i even tried checking the pin coming out of the starter, and same 0 volts. does this mean my starter is somehow causing the problem?

Please look at the schematic and read how to check circuits. The big cable should have 12 volts on it, the spade coming out of the starter solenoid, none. The wire to the solenoid with the spade connection will have 12 volts when the starter button is depressed. A voltage is supplied to the solenoid (spade connection) via the bikes circuitry to engage the starter.

ok, so im a bonehead. in my rush to put things back together i had overlooked the fact that there are two positive battery cables. one was stuffed over on the negative side near the frame. i connected it to the + terminal, and in a frankensteinian fashion she came to life. thanks for the input though, itll definitely come in handy someday. :woohoo:

Back