• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

8000 mile report

roadventure

GT Reference
I recently returned home after an 8000 mile ride on my 2014 California Custom (dressed out as a touring).

Upload 2016 7 20 21 21 56

I started at Ocean City, Maryland and followed U.S. Route 50 to Sacramento, CA and continuing on to Fort Bragg, CA on the Pacific Coast. I then rode up Route 1 & 101 into Oregon, Washington and headed east again mostly via I-90 & I-70. But this is not about where I have been. It is about how the trip was handled by my bike.

I have to say I was a little nervous starting this ride on this bike since I had only about 3500 miles of riding experience with it when I left (6700 miles on the odometer at departure).

I had what I would consider two failures on the ride:
  • broken right side exhaust cross-over pipe. (weld broke)
  • oil leaking from overflow hose and observation of NO OIL showing on dipstick
The broken exhaust was repaired by Mike Harper and his mechanic Carlos at Harper's Moto Guzzi located in Greenwood, MO. I was very disappointed to see the broken exhaust weld from MG, but these guys at Harper's provided great service for a reasonable price.

The NO OIL issue is still a mystery. I was able to get to Harrison's EuroSports in Sandy, UT with the addition of some 10W30 automotive oil. They could not find any problems. They drained the 10W30 out and replaced with 10W60 and a fresh filter. It did belch oil from the overflow tube twice afterwards, but everything was fine after that for the remainder of the ride.

Prior to leaving I had a tip from another member here about using SEAM SEAL brushed on the inside of the saddlebag seam to prevent leakage. My bags DID leak before leaving home. After applying the SEAM SEAL though, they have been "bone dry". And, I did ride in some severe rain for almost 6 hour continuously on one day. I also ran into shorter, less intense rain on five other days. No leaks at all. After getting home I did a good wash down of the bike and again, no leaks from the washing or rinsing with my garden hose.

After 8000 miles with this bike I have begun to gain a respect for what (in my mind) was a big risk purchase. I am going to contact Piaggio about the exhaust system cost and request reimbursement for the repair cost. If they respond in my favor I think they will have gained another supporter and loyal future customer.

Congrats on the ride that is a long trip for a new rider.

The broken exhaust is a known issue & some have been replaced under warranty.

It is very unlikely that Guzzi will refund any money on the cost of the repair however if you take the bike to a dealer it may get "fixed" under warranty. You are probably better keeping the welded up pipe or replacing it with a GT-X (available here contact Todd).

Congrats on the ride that is a long trip for a new rider.

The broken exhaust is a known issue & some have been replaced under warranty.

It is very unlikely that Guzzi will refund any money on the cost of the repair however if you take the bike to a dealer it may get "fixed" under warranty. You are probably better keeping the welded up pipe or replacing it with a GT-X (available here contact Todd).

I may have stated something incorrectly. I have over 48 years riding experience and more 500+ mile days than I can count on various motorcycles. This is the first time on a MG motorcycle for me though.

I may have stated something incorrectly. I have over 48 years riding experience and more 500+ mile days than I can count on various motorcycles. This is the first time on a MG motorcycle for me though.

OOPs sorry I mis-read: "a little nervous starting this ride on this bike since I had only about 3500 miles of riding experience with it"

I missed the "with it" & thought you only had 3500 total experience.

Was not meant as an insult only as a compliment.

are you saying the same seam seal that looks like air plane glue.? it's used to seal the stitching on tents, dries glossy and you used it on the outside of the rubber gasket meaning it was the rubber passing the water through? or you used it to hold the gasket to the bag.

I'm also interested in learning more about that SEAM SEAL on saddlebags - which product exactly did you use, and how did you apply it?

OOPs sorry I mis-read: "a little nervous starting this ride on this bike since I had only about 3500 miles of riding experience with it"

I missed the "with it" & thought you only had 3500 total experience.

Was not meant as an insult only as a compliment.

I understand and not offended in any way. I figured you misread.

are you saying the same seam seal that looks like air plane glue.? it's used to seal the stitching on tents, dries glossy and you used it on the outside of the rubber gasket meaning it was the rubber passing the water through? or you used it to hold the gasket to the bag.

Yup, this stuff:

large_10510_GA_SeamGripSealer_Adhesive_WEB.jpg

I used the brush applicator top and "painted" it on the seam inside the bag. I did not disassemble the bags. It takes about a day to dry. The only claim I can make is that before using it, my bags leaked. After using it I have not seen any water inside the bags.

Last edited:
Back