• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

"85 Lemans 1000 Brake rotor upgrade?

mgmark

Just got it firing!
I'm looking for a 300mm brake rotor that will either bolt onto the wheel, or replace the outer ring of the stock disc on my Lemans IV. The stock disc center uses five bolts to mount onto the wheel, and the outer disc mounts using "floating" buttons.
As much as Guzzi interchanges parts between models I'm hoping there is a relatively straightforward swap.
thanks
Mark

What size bolts?
What PCD?
What size centre hole?
What offset?

May I suggest a caliper upgrade, like Brembo 4 spot Goldline series. Mounting plate will need to be manufactured, so at least the disc offset becomes optional as you can accommodate that with the plate.

T-ruck it, go the whole hog and do a 17" wheel upgrade ............................ may I suggest BST?

Whichever way you go, weigh everything and make sure every new component is lighter than the original, you won't believe the difference it makes to handling and speed of direction changes.

I appreciate the advice but I'm looking for a stock appearance with this bike. I want to go more retro style instead of modern superbike type upgrades. I took off the original 16" front wheel and went back to the 18". Until I can replace the stock 270mm rotors with something larger, say, a 300mm, I'm wasting my time.
The disc is held with five 8mm bolts on a 110mm bolt circle.
PCD?
centre hole is 95mm
the stock disc is flat, but a 10mm offset would be nice. I can machine spacers for the offset if needed.

thanks

Last edited:
I'm looking for a 300mm brake rotor that will either bolt onto the wheel, or replace the outer ring of the stock disc on my Lemans IV. The stock disc center uses five bolts to mount onto the wheel, and the outer disc mounts using "floating" buttons.
As much as Guzzi interchanges parts between models I'm hoping there is a relatively straightforward swap.
thanks
Mark

hmb-guzzi.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p2166_brake-disc-front-300-mm--cali-3--cali-1100--sp-3-etc--stainless.html

Looks like this is a 300mm version for the stock 270mm piece. Further on in the brake section they advertise rotor buttons for 270/300mm fitment so I'm assuming these disks fit the MK 4 carrier ……. ???

Yes, that is along the lines of what I'm looking for. I want to increase the diameter. Kind of pricey but it works if the bikes use the same center as mine.

MG Cycle lists what is probably the same item. I need to call them and ask if they know if it will fit my centers.

mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=110_134&products_id=1108

thanks

I checked with MG Cycle and the disc centers are different between my bike and the 300mm discs will not fit.

Looking for exact the same thing… Changing 16" to 18" front wheel on Le Mans 1000 '89
Maybe this can help:
mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=110_134
guy with experience:
mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=26

I asked Gordon about that 300mm Brembo kit for the Lemans and it was discontinued over a decade ago.

Last edited:
thanks
Mark
Hi Mark,
I work for Revival Cycles in Austin TX. We recently installed Lemans I wheels on a Lemans IV. In doing so we had to make a caliper relocation bracket to accommodate the 300mm rotors. We would be happy to make a set for you if that helps. The # is 512-291-3377 ask for Chris or John. My name is John. Also you can reach me at John@revivalcycles.com.
Photo 1

Thanks John. I have just about accepted that I will need a wheel change to get larger brakes. I may go back to wire wheels because I like the look.

Mark

Hi Mark,
I work for Revival Cycles in Austin TX. We recently installed Lemans I wheels on a Lemans IV. In doing so we had to make a caliper relocation bracket to accommodate the 300mm rotors. We would be happy to make a set for you if that helps. The # is 512-291-3377 ask for Chris or John. My name is John. Also you can reach me at John@revivalcycles.com.
View attachment 7781

Hi Mark,

I am looking for the same solution and found this:

bikehps.com/isr/isr_brake_discs.html

and this cool order form:

bikehps.com/isr/ISR_Custom_Disc_Order_Form.pdf

Had to make an account to this forum, to tel you this, hope it will help.

Or did you find a other solution to the Le Mans brakes?

Let me know if you did

Cheers

Patrick

So If i buy a 18" frontwheel from newer lemans on my 1987 with 16", i need that brakespacer then?

ok, does the 18" wheel have bigger disk against my 16" wheel?

Last edited:
Queried a Mk5 for sale here in NZ that had a larger rotor kit, owner said it was a UK conversion (as was the twin headlight fairing).
See picture attached.
I think a spacer for the front caliper was made, similar to what a member offered above.
Maybe try a MG forum in the UK?
Re Madkoffe - stick with the 16" -quicker steering & DR John had no problems with them - PS like your L.E. Guzzi (high gearing?). 88 Mk5 Le Mans   3 88 Mk5 Le Mans   5 88 Mk5 Le Mans   1

Reactions: KBG
ok, does the 18" wheel have bigger disk against my 16" wheel?
You can check parts manuals, but I believe it is the same disk. I converted one for a guy many years ago but I think the same rotor was used on both 16 inch and 18 inch wheels. What matters is axle to rotor to slider dimensions.

Not sure this option is what your looking for.
I was also unimpressed with the std 270mm discs and wooden calipers.I couldnt justify the huge cost of the Brembo goldline kit or find a suitable period upgrade.
Being a fitter/machinist and always looking for a challenge i decided to make my own kit.
I fitted a set of 300mm ZX10 Kawasaki discs to my Lemans V 1000.
While not a simple bolt on,they have five holes and no offset ,like the originals.
All i had to do was machine the I.D a little larger and slot the hole PCD a liitle to suit the 18" wheels holes.
Guzzi went to 270mm discs to fit inside the 16" wheels and then lazily kept them when they went back to 18".
With the addition of 4 pot calipers from a Honda Sp1(Rc45) the brakes went from pathetic to superbike standards.
Quite a cheap upgrade with older kawasaki discs going cheap on ebay and i already had the calipers.
While the discs could be used on their own.It would be necessary to fabricate caliper brackets anyway,so why not step into this century with a caliper upgrade while your at it.
With HH pads the linked brake set up is now amazing and requires little effort for massive braking force.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 51
hmb-guzzi.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p2166_brake-disc-front-300-mm--cali-3--cali-1100--sp-3-etc--stainless.html

Looks like this is a 300mm version for the stock 270mm piece. Further on in the brake section they advertise rotor buttons for 270/300mm fitment so I'm assuming these disks fit the MK 4 carrier ……. ???
First post for me, try Metal Gear in Australia. I'm doing the same thing with my LM. The rotor they have should fit straight on, their SKU/Part No- 21-136-BK. Good luck, Rangi

Back