RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.
  2. Ciao Guest, ALERT FOR Store purchases - riding season is here, so we know everyone wants it yesterday. However, lead times are long and many things are sold out or back-ordered, and there isn't much we can do to rush anything. Always best to buy off Season when things are in stock. Also, there are many seasonal holidays this time of year, both here and in Europe (particularly the Italian August Holiday month), so please be patient! We aren't Amazon. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. Please note GuzziTech and the GTM Store is largely a ONE man operation. Requests for phone calls will be deleted. We are online only. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE OR JUST disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. Thanks for your understanding and support.

850-T Brat Custom Build

Discussion in 'Custom Guzzi Builds' started by bassboy3313, Dec 12, 2018.

1. bassboy3313

bassboy3313 Tuned and Synch'ed

Hey guys! I recently picked up a 1974 Guzzi 850-T project for dirt cheap. This will be my first motorcycle build ever, which I am excited about. I have restored/built a few cars in the past with my current one being a late 70s BMW e21 gruppe 2 build. I wanted to try my hand at a cafe/brat style build, so here we are.

I bought the bike from a friend who has had it for awhile now. He got it in stock running form and rode it for a bit. He then decided to try his hand at working on it and making it a little cafe style with a hand made seat and such. From there it sat in the back of his shop for a good number of years until I asked about it.

Here is how he got it many years ago.
    1247679744668973274.jpg

Here is how it looked when I picked it up and brought it home.
    1282355413265211758.jpg
    2971698527702881511.jpg
    7561587774178359973.jpg

I want to give a huge shout out to Jake (judgefargo) for his build thread and the details he has posted. It is going to help me immensely with the electrical, gsxr front forks, etc. My plans for this bike includes gsxr front end, custom monoshock rear suspension, minimalist aesthetics while keeping the classic vibe going. I want this to be a balls out build to test the fabrication skills I have learned from my previous car builds. Stay tuned for updates!

judgefargo likes this.
  2. bassboy3313

First steps of the tear down process and eyeing up how I will do the mono-shock setup.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Trout

Trout GT Reference

Very Cool.
    I'll be following this.

bassboy3313 likes this.
  4. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT Contributor

There is a way to beef up & brace the swingarm plus add a monoshock that goes to the cross member on frame where center tube stops. I opted for bracing and dual shocks on my LM3.
    If you do a search you'll see how most do this mod.

bassboy3313 likes this.
  5. judgefargo

judgefargo Tuned and Synch'ed

Thanks for that Dave. Now I'm going to have to do the bike!! hehee

I'll tell you what. Lets try and motivate each other and see whom gets to ride the bike first! haha

Will be keeping an eye on this build, all the best,
    Jake

bassboy3313 likes this.
  6. bassboy3313

Got the front end off and started gathering the gsxr front end parts. Currently just waiting on the steering stem bearings to come in the mail, otherwise I have everything else.

I ended up finding a 2009 Harley Street Glide front laced wheel with dual disc brakes locally, so I snagged it up. The axle size matches the gsxr perfectly. I want to reuse the Guzzi rim to match the rear, so I figured I would need custom spokes and nipples to relace the Guzzi rim and Harley hub together. As luck would have it, both wheels have the same size nipple holes and quantity. All that is needed are spokes and nipples for an 18" Harley laced wheel (the one I got is only 17"). Found a set of brand new 18" Harley spokes and nipples for $20 on ebay.

The only other thing needing is to redrill the hayabusa front rotors (gsxr rotors didnt have the extra meat for redrilling) to match the bolt pattern of the Harley hub.

Stay tuned...

7. bassboy3313

GSXR front end mock up fitment almost done

[​IMG]

Garthy likes this.
  8. bassboy3313

So, in order run the stock laced rim up front with the GSXR front end, I am using a Harley-Davidson narrow glide front hub. It has the same 40 spoke, same axle size as GSXR and is dual disc as well. I then needed to redrill the hayabusa front rotors to match the Harley rotor bolt pattern. To do this I measured the ID of each rotor bore and had a centering jig 3d printed. Worked like a charm!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. bassboy3313

For the monoshock setup, I ended up getting a Ducati 900ss rear shock as I have read others using it too. Well, looks like its too long at 13" eye to eye, unfortunately. I would have to weld the front mount to the underside of the cross bar, which would get in the way of the carbs and make more work than necessary.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From my research, it looks like an 00-01 CBR 900rr or 929rr rear shock is 11.25" long and would fit alot better in the space. So, I am on the look out for one of those to test fit.

10. bassboy3313

The point of no return has arrived!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the monoshock subframe modifications have started as well. Using 1/2" PVC, heating and bending to shape is a lot cheaper and easier to work with for the mock up stages than steel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

judgefargo and groundhog105 like this.
  11. Trout

Trout GT Reference

Hope you keep posting I'm really enjoying this.

bassboy3313 likes this.
  12. Garthy

Garthy Just got it firing!

Looking good.

Are you worried at all about the back of the frame spreading around the swing arm pivots ?

I guess the battery plate and the lower gearbox mount bolt will tie it all together.

G

13. bassboy3313

Yeah it's still a work in progress, so as things pop up, I will address them.

14. bassboy3313

More mock up on the monoshock swing arm.

20190206_182541.jpg 20190206_183830.jpg

judgefargo likes this.
  15. judgefargo

judgefargo Tuned and Synch'ed

Cool mate, very cool.

I think we will be on the bike just about at the same time (yeah right!).
    Shame we live a few thousand kms away! haha

Hope all goes well, keep those pics coming!

bassboy3313 likes this.
  16. bassboy3313

So I have a dilemma with the gas tank. The gsxr forks hit fairly early in the turning radius imo. Blue tape shows where the forks hit. Looking for some advice on what to do. Either leave it and deal with the lack of uturns when done, dent the tank in for some relief of the forks or find a different tank that will gain some turning radius? Any thoughts/advice?

20190223_123840.jpg
    20190223_124150.jpg
    20190223_124156.jpg
    20190223_124202.jpg

17. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

The V7 (new and old repro) has a lot narrower front to help alleviate this issue.

18. bassboy3313

Hhmmm. I will have to look into that. Thanks!

19. Tonerjockey

Tonerjockey High Miler GT Contributor

If ya like the look/feel of the gsrx forks and that tank, & don't mind the reduced minimum turning radius, adding metal to the stops would prevent the fork/tank collisions.

This would also help prevent hand/tank impact.

Alex

20. bassboy3313

Yup, exactly. I am just not sure if the reduced turn radius it has right now would be ok to ride or not. I'd hate to get this tank all painted and fitted right, just to not be happy with the steering, you know?