• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

850-T Project build

stomp944

Just got it firing!
Hey, all. I recently started a project build with a 1975 850-T. I began with a well-running, fairly intact example which strikes a balance between too 'basket case' to bother and too restored or stock to ruin. Link to detail I am capturing in a blog is below. Good bones; the plan for this project lies somewhere between restoration, refurbishment, re-freshening, re-imagining and a 'factory' cafe. A reliable driver with a clean, understated aesthetic.
At this point the frame is about to come off the engine; I estimate that completion is at least 6 months away.

Welcome to the Forum. Hope to see your progress here. Thanks for not linking away from the site, post here.

Thanks, Trout, and anyone else who viewed.
All photos and text documenting this project are posted elsewhere. While I thought I might derive the support and interest to warrant a few informative, enlightening and entertaining exchanges, I'd not anticipated having to duplicate the build record. Since the link was removed you may ignore the original post and return to your regularly scheduled programming.

heheh

I am in the final (I hope) stages of refurbishing a 74 Eldo LAPD. I bought it new in 74 and this is the 3rd refresh I've done on it.

I don't know 'bout no informative, enlightening, nor no entertaining, but this here is at least an exhange... I think.

Something I am seeing is that it takes a couple days (maybe) to dissasemble, but much, much longer to assemble. At least now-a-daze we have simple(er) international access to parts thanks to the omnipresent internet. Parts 'n pieces are more expensive tho...

G'luck,

Alex

More than worth a lot of laughs, Tonerjockey, and as entertaining and informative as anyone has a right to. Esp a whiny suckhole like me. Appreciate the post.
For sure, the disassembly has proven almost too easy. Documenting properly takes time. I'm here (below), with essentially the triple, the swingarm and cataloguing the wiring before lifting the frame about all that's left to get to the engine.
Parts, yes, not so much a problem yet either.

frame_almost%2Boff.jpg

Final look and direction for the project is already set. Paint is done (as below); chopped front and rear fenders. New seat is in the mail. Some chroming and frame paint not far off before sorting other bits, followed by reversing the process with reassembly.

tank%2Band%2Bfender.jpg

tank%2Bside.jpg

side%2Bcover.jpg

I will say an 850 T made me learn how to release a rear wheel lock and not high side!! Also the last of the round heads not to have an oil filter. Just change oil a little more frequently Oce you get her back on the road. When you do get to the internals, go with the updated cam chain tensioner (MG cycle or Harper's) and 4mm clutch spline system.

No, I cannot take credit for the paint (Robert Prayther, pro local to me). The lighting in those photos does not do it justice. Badges yet to be cleaned up and refitted (and re-positioned). I cut the front and rear fenders down myself, however, which was a first; Robert didn't scoff and was actually reasonably impressed, so I think I did pretty good. Except for paint, chrome and the like, I'll be doing the rest.

This is what I started with:
rt%2Bside%2B2015.jpg

Dirty little bugger, hey?

It's amazing how much abuse these bikes will take & keep on going. Then someone comes along & it's beauty from the beast.

Good to see another one rescued.

Yup. It's a great runner, however.
The seat pan is too clapped out to save. The dented tank I used to an advantage and had knee 'cutouts' sculpted to look as if they belonged. Had to go with Tarozzi rearsets since one peg bracket is bent and the footpeg missing (and they weigh a ton). Otherwise keeping other stock and aftermarket bits as is, and refreshing all rubber, seals, springs, wiring, fuel lines, plug wires, fluids, chrome, paint, surfaces, etc, etc, before reassembly.

Um, have you actually worked out how the rearsets are going to go on? I looked into that early on in the fixing of my 850T and found that none of the off-the-shelf units will work due to the control arrangement on the T. Guzzi arranged it with axles that go all the way from one side to the other so it could be set up for either left or right side shifting(with different parts). The only 850T (T3 is a different ballgame) I've ever seen with working rearsets was owned by a machinist from Wisconsin who made his own. Maybe he's listening? We talked at the Viking antique meet, but I've already killed off those brain cells and can't remember his name.

Also, make sure you pull the rocker pivots and blow them out, making sure they aren't plugged. When I tore down my T, the pivots were completely plugged with bits of rubber and aluminum which I think came from the timing case where the useless stock chain tensioner was deteriorating and allowing the chain to mill away bits of case. I think the oil pump is allowed to scavenge oil from the timing case that doesn't come through the sump screen. So the rocker pivots sort of act as an auxiliary filter. Oops. So John's advice to put in an updated tensioner is really sound!

Also advise replacing the oil feed hose to the heads with a high quality piece. I bought a budget feed hose unit from Harpers in about 2008 for my SP that swelled shut in a few thousand miles and filled the pivots with flakes of rubber. Caught it before it went on too long. So stay away from those! Hope they didn't sell too many. This is another testament to the ability of the Guzzi motor to absorb abuse. Both my bikes have survived this treatment and run great.

BG

Hi - sorry, have not checked back here in a while. The paint is actually a Jaguar color, metallic grey; the white was custom mixed to contrast/compliment the grey.
Regarding the rearsets, yes it required a lot of thought and fabrication. Nothing off the shelf fits the 850T. For the shift side I ended up drilling a 16mm hole through the left side plate/block to accept a spline shaft. I made a bushing to keep it tight and each side of the spline shaft includes a linkage arm to transfer the shifter motion to the gear selector shaft. It still required some other cutting and drilling but looks decent and works well.
For the brake, I'd initially planned for a 14mm spline arm to attach to the stock brake shaft to the aftermarket lever arm. I ended up deciding to toss the Tarozzi brake lever and cut the stocker in half and attach the toe piece from the Tarozzi to the stock brake lever. Testing by hand there appears to be plenty of leverage to adequately apply the rear shoes. Finishing that up today, but I think it will look and work well.

The headers had a lot of pitting (years under pipe wrap), and after much work still are not presentable enough.
Will be painting them flat black.

speaking of paint, the brake light wasn't working. traced it to no ground through the paint on the fender and the powdercoat on the frame. will either Dremel to metal somewhere or run a separate ground wire....

Back