• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

850T Cylinders

Snakeoil

Just got it firing!
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and my only Guzzi experience is a '71 Ambassador I had back in the 80's that was a former LAPD bike.

I remember the older Guzzi's had chrome lined cylinders and back then I heard various horror stories about the chrome peeling, etc. My LAPD bike had iron sleeved jugs because it was my understanding that LAPD specs required that the bike be rebuildable.

I've been looking at 850 T and T3 bikes locally to add to the stable as another vintage rider. I have found an 850T that was a barn baby that is in good shape and running.

I did a search regarding 850T cylinders and did not find an answer here. So.....

My questions are:
Are the 850T cylinders chromed lined and if so, are they trouble>
Are all the 850 T and T3 cylinders chrome lined or is there a date when they went to another design?
What is the true story on life and experience for the chromed liners?
Lastly, is there a website with good tech info on various vintage Guzzi models? I've looked at BikeEZ and another that escaped me right now, but they just have your typical specs and no details

Thanks for any info you can share.
regards,
Rob

Rob,

If you secure a copy of Guzziology that should have the breakdown. I do remember that the T through T3 was a transitional time for the cylinders. I had an 850 T with chrome bores, a T-3 that didn't have chrome, but wasn't nikasil either. Personally I'm not aware of any 850 T chrome linings failing like on the Ambassador or Eldorado, but that is not to say it can't happen. Even if the chrome fails, the cylinders can be bored and cast liners installed. Replacement Gilardoni cylinders are nikasil, but availability is questionable at this time from what I have heard on this forum.

I took a '75 850T apart recently. It had chromed cylinders that were still in good shape - No sign of flaking or wear at the top. I believe the switch to iron liners began in '77 with the introduction of the I-convert and the G5, both 950cc motors.

Feel free to join the Loopframe group and ask questions: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Loopframe_Guzzi/

Or head over to Greg Bender's site for a wealth of Loop and early Tonti knowledge:

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/

DW

Thanks guys. I'll check out those other sites. I did a Google search of Guzzi forums and websites and this one looked the best place to start.
Appreciate the help.
Ciao',
Rob

If you've a 850T and the cylinders are original you've most likely got chrome-lined bores which are fine as long as they get regular use and haven't sat for an extended period. I've a T3 (ex-LAPD) that had only 24k miles and the chrome on one bore had started to blister whereas others I know have done over 100k miles without issue. In my view re-lining isn't worth it. Brand new Gilardoni nikasil barrels complete with pistons, rings and gudgeons are available for 250 euros each from Lamers, and MG Cycle have them as well. Buy Guzziology. That and this forum is probably the best font of knowledge that you'll find.

Peter

Back