• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

8V Failure info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re:Got an 8V cam......

As you say, chances are it had gone through the hardening. It's (nigh) impossible to distinguish cause and effect from a single sample. What if failure occurs when "it" starts going through the hardening, for whatever reason? Working with cold hard facts is the way to go, but their collection is hypothesis-driven, ideally (and that's just science-talk for "educated guessing" and supposing, really).
You don't think uneven hardening or uneven thickness of the hardened layer could be what's been causing this, then?

Of the cam? Very doubtful. Things are usually hardened in racks or baskets, the whole component s hardened to the same degree.

One thing that is noticeable is that there is damage to the opening flank of the cam just above the rampings. Unfortunately it is impossible to say why this occurred or if it occured before or after the tappet failed but it does illustrate the point I was making about wider clearances putting a higher stress on components.

Pete

> Things are usually hardened in racks or baskets, the whole component s hardened to the same degree.

Well, that's what ought to happen. I don't know how the process works, but I can see it must involve immersion in some medium, a fluid, gaz or why not even plasma. If something in the process isn't controlled right, that medium could well not be homogenous, resulting (I'd suppose) in uneven hardening.

Glad I read Feynmann's "What do you care what other people think" ... taught me not to be afraid to ask (apparently) obvious questions (also known as stupid questions) :D

and a (small) part of the really genius answers are among those (except we often don't realise that) ;)

Chatting with a dealer on a French site, I learned by coincidence that he'd received a mail (e- or snail-) from Guzzi, causing him to stop riding the demo Stelvio. He says he thinks Guzzi apparently solved the issue because they instruct to change certain parts. I've asked him for more details.
(I am aware modified parts are being sent for replacement in affected bikes, but hadn't heard about something that almost sounds like a recall?!)

I have been following this with great interest and wisely withheld any of my uneducated, unasked for and ill informed comments.
I am now going to throw out a theory of what has occurred.

There are some bad valve train components that have been installed on some 8V motors.
It took Guzzi a whlle to comprehend this because of the limited number of 8V motors out there.
Knowing the agonizingly slow chain of corporate communication (and I couldn't comprehend the Italian business structure) it took a while to recognize , yes, there seems to be a problem so it get's passed on to the next level and so forth and so on.
Identifying that there is a problem and actually finding a solution is another time consuming phase.
I would not be surprised if Guzzi has at this time any idea of what bikes have the potentially bad components and what bikes do not.

It would be interesting to know if Guzzi batch builds, That is these certain motors/frames in production are destined to be shipped to this country and the next batch will go to
another ? That might explain why there have been different failure rates in different countries.

My unasked for 2 cents

Here's some more info, hope to get more tomorrow.

The dealer who I got the info from apparently received a letter from Guzzi, instructing them to call the clients who bought 8V models from them, to "have certain parts replaced in the engine".

So no official recall letter sent around to all owners, which seems a bit "suspect", almost as if Guzzi chose France to test a particular solution to the issue?
I suggest everyone concerned contact their respective dealers to see if they received such a letter!

My dealer contacted the Dutch importer (Moto Tricolore) who in turn contacted Guzzi (Piaggio).
The answer: No recall in any country.

Just for information purposes get a chevy or ford lifter and have it tested it for hardness. Just as a comparison to the Guzzi lifters To get an idea how hard a lifter needs to be. Maybe a ford lifter would be better. Old chevy small blocks would eat a cam lobe every once in a while. Usually after 70,000 miles or so.
I worked for an engine rebuilder for quitw a few years. We sent the old cams out for regrinding. Then they were parkerized for hardening. They held up as well as a new camshaft. And the hardness was not very deep. I cant tell you what the hardness was though.
I wouldnt think the spring tension would be high enough to cause a major issue. Especially on the 8 valve motor with the smaller lighter valves hence lighter springs.

A question: Were all the tappets checked, or just the one that failed?

That's good news RJVB... I sure would like to know if they will act as a recall or if we'll have to deal with this on an individual basis...

Papasloan wrote:
I wouldnt think the spring tension would be high enough to cause a major issue. Especially on the 8 valve motor with the smaller lighter valves hence lighter springs.

They are rising rate 'Beehive' springs as well which makes it doubly doubtful I suppose but until I'd got something to test I wasn't willing to rule anything out, or in.

When I get a set of the *new* lifters for my bike I'll get one of mine tested and I'll take in one of the old pushrod motor type lifters from my munt-mountain as well and get it tested as well.

Greg, I only had the one lifter and it had failed but I got it tested on the stem which was un-damaged and they are a one piece lifter.

Pete

maybe I missed it, but are there any good pictures of failed parts on the net? First part that fails is the pushrod/tappet?

When I was sent the parts it was on the understanding that I wouldn't post pics. I have no idea why. Sorry.

I have seen lots of pics but only on the importer's computers, not on the web.

Yes, it is the tappet that fails first. My observations lead me to think that the tappet fails and then the cam fails at a later point. Obviously once the damage starts failure will be very rapid because things are happening very fast in there.

Pete

Wonder B wrote:
That's good news RJVB... I sure would like to know if they will act as a recall or if we'll have to deal with this on an individual basis...

Maybe you missed my posting?

So far there seems to be no suggestion of a recall. To me that either indicates that the factory doesn't think it warrants one or that they don't know which bikes are likely to be affected.

Any which way all machines will have to be done on an 'Individual' basis there is no magic wand to wave that will miraculously fix a whole swag of bikes all at once????

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back