• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

8V High Mileage / Good News Stories

Joe Bar

Tuned and Synch'ed
I'm still fairly new to the forum and after selling my 8V Griso and trying a Ducati Multistrada, I'm now back on a 1200 Sport 8V. It's my third Guzzi, the first V11 Sport ending up a bit of a disaster when the engine let go big style (fortunately under warranty). Human error as it turned out, as one of the con rod caps had been fitted the wrong way round, leading to it knocking the big ends out in due course. :(

Like most 8V owners I've read countless pages of woe regarding cam recalls and the various theories regarding failures etc. I've also read Pete Roper's robust defence of the engine, which helped give me confidence to purchase another 8V.

The reason for my post is that I'm interested in hearing from owners of 8V models that have had no problems and the sort of mileages they now have on their bikes. Anyone got some seriously big miles on their bike / engine with no issues? Regular servicing and high quality oil seems to get regularly mentioned, but any other tips from high milers about the secrets of longevity?

Please post, and lets hear some of the good news about these bikes for a change. :)

Cheers.

Hello Martin, back to a Guzzi then, I have just got back from a trip to the Barcelona GP on your old Griso SE, the mileage is now over 4k, still not what you would call high but its probably worthless now cos its been used :D
I had an 8v Sport last year and it had 18k miles on it when I finally managed to sell it, I would not worry about doing miles on these bikes, apart from the depreciation,
all the best Steve.

I hope this doesn't jinx myself. But...

I bought my 2010 Griso 8V 1200 as a leftover this past December.
The only miles on it were me taking it for a test ride and the dealer doing a couple of brief test rides.
It had a whole 8 miles on it when I bought it.

Now 6 month's later; I have put 16,500 miles on it.
And so far the only true problem has been the dealer corrupting the ECU after only two weeks of ownership.

Now I don't consider these measly 16,500 miles has "high mileage".
(My previous bike a '00 GSXR750 had 260,000 miles and was still running strong when I hit a deer.)
But from the stories I've been reading on here and other boards; I think I'm off to a good start.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

My 2011 Griso 8V just clocked 25000 miles.

So far the only "issues" have been that one of the two horns had to be replaced (under warranty), and the well-known condensation inside the instruments cluster (on my bike it's very minor, but I can't believe Piaggio hasn't managed to fix that pain-in-the-ars yet).

As far as the engine/tranny are concerned, no issues whatsoever.
Since after break-in I have used Redline synth 10W-60 (engine + OEM UFI filter) and Mobil 1 synth 75W-90 (tranny/diff.). I do the oil change and regular maintenace at 5000 mi intervals.

I removed the evap canister (and other related crap) right after break-in, and installed a Zard muffler with db killer at about 13000 mi. Everything else on the bike is factory.

Steve S said:
Hello Martin, back to a Guzzi then, I have just got back from a trip to the Barcelona GP on your old Griso SE, the mileage is now over 4k, still not what you would call high but its probably worthless now cos its been used :D
I had an 8v Sport last year and it had 18k miles on it when I finally managed to sell it, I would not worry about doing miles on these bikes, apart from the depreciation,
all the best Steve.

Hi Steve, yes back to a Guzzi. The Multistrada was great to ride, just not very far. Found that anything over 150 miles in one hit would give me bad back pain for a fortnight. Couldn't bring myself to buy another BMW, and didn't know what to buy, but saw a low miles 1200 Sport with luggage at a good price and went for it. Just returned from a trip to Scotland with my wife and daughetr last week, and really like it. Ferries all booked for a trip to Croatia in August. :)

Good to know the Griso is finally getting some serious use. :) I really should have ridden it more. :unsure:

Just thought it would be good to get a thread running with positive comments for a change. ;)

I've done 24k miles on my Griso 8v with no mechanical problems. It's an early version with the original A5 engine and the cam recall was done while the bike was in stock at the dealers with zero miles on it. It's always been serviced at the correct intervals by the same dealers and I have complete faith in it's reliability. So far I've done 3 touring trips to Spain & Portugal and a long trip to the 4 extremities of Britain plus casual day trips.

Just turned over 16,000 miles this morning on my '09 Griso. No mechanical issues, one electrical issue (the well known arcing plug caps), and one set of tires. Still on the original brake pads, but I'm a flat-lander.

Hi all,

okay, not high milage talk, but a good news story... :cheer:
I love my babe, my G12. :*
When I bought my G12, it had done only 2200 km.
Now nearly 12000.
During those nearly 10000 km not one issue or problem. Not one!
I'm trying to learn all ins and outs from my love. :geek:
The maintenance is my job, also every change, alter or adjustment. B)
With the open airbox, Dyno runs and altered fuelmapping (not my job...), the rideability got really better.
Also about 15 % more power. :mrgreen:
My G12 rides like a miracle. Good torque, much power, big grin factor, awesome sound and very good steering.
My dream is renewed... :silly: My "Joe Bar" feeling is back... sky high... :side:
I love every km, mile driving my G12.

I love my G12 as much as my former bike, a special build Harley (fat boy look), which I loved for nearly 20 years.
The love for my G12 won't be thát long... I'm 53 years young now...
Or..., driving like hell in my 70's...? :whistle:
For sure as long as possible!

have fun and live your live on your 8V.
Ad B

something to add...
this is why I love my G12...

What more do you want or wish for...

Attachments

• griso.jpg
    griso.jpg
    482.2 KB · Views: 1,798
Almost 24000 on my 09.
Cam recall was done at the dealer before the bike was handed to me. I made sure of that as well.
At 8000 miles I had an oil leak from the rear seal flange... A few bikes had this problem due to the flange bolts being too long. :roll: :roll:
The work was done fairly quick under warranty.

Nothing else since...

scottmastrocinque said:
I LOVE this thread! More, more! :woohoo:

Please keep them coming, it would be great to get this thread as long as some of the tales of woe. I often feel that the nature of bike forums can often make all of them seem unreliable nails with break downs every other week. I suspect mainly because many owners only arrive at forums when they are looking for the answer to a problem. The others are probably just out riding and smiling. :)

Bought my 08 8v in 2010 with 1200 km on speedo and out of factory warranty as it was more than 2 years old.
No cam recall done until 2200 km when I found out about the recall, the dealer had not done this work prior to me buying the bike.
Had the cam recall done free of charge (as it should be) and injection map upgrade done by another Guzzi service agent.
No abnormal wear was found on the original Cams and Tappets when they were removed.
No engine problems or any other major issues during the 25,000 kms I have done.
Always use correct spec synthetic oils, have checked the tappets 4 times as a precaution and only had to adjust them once (out by one thou) at about 10,000km and no other adjustments required since then.

Love this bike, it makes me smile.

Mark

Mark111 said:
Bought my 08 8v in 2010 with 1200 km on speedo and out of factory warranty as it was more than 2 years old.
No cam recall done until 2200 km when I found out about the recall, the dealer had not done this work prior to me buying the bike.
Had the cam recall done free of charge (as it should be) and injection map upgrade done by another Guzzi service agent.
No abnormal wear was found on the original Cams and Tappets when they were removed.
No engine problems or any other major issues during the 25,000 kms I have done.
Always use correct spec synthetic oils, have checked the tappets 4 times as a precaution and only had to adjust them once (out by one thou) at about 10,000km and no other adjustments required since then.

Mark

And further deepens the mystery as why just certain bikes ?

Hi,
Mark111 said:
have checked the tappets 4 times as a precaution and only had to adjust them once (out by one thou) at about 10,000km and no other adjustments required since then.

Mark
Mark, how do you check your tappets?
Did you remove your Rocker Support every 4 times?
Those tappets are located upside down in that rocker support.
Or did you check your valve end play?
If you removed the rocker supports, isn't it necessary to replace the head gaskets too?
Because the rocker supports are fastened by the cylinder head nuts.

Ad B

Sorry all, should have been clearer with my previous post.
I meant to say that I have checked the tappet/valve clearance 4 times since the cam recall work was done with only one minor adjustment needed at 10,000 kms.
I haven't pulled the rocker mechanism or any engine bits apart as there has been need to, the engine has been bulletproof and I'm confident it is perfectly sound.
I wouldn't pull anything apart other than for maintenance, unless there was a reason.

I'd rather be riding the bike.

Mark

Hi,

Thanks Mark, I allready thought that is was about checking the clearances.
But it was good to let it know.
And you're right, keep your hands of if it's not necessary.

Ride and enjoy your bike, the good spirit.

Ad B

Finally a Good News Thread
Like some people here I have a 09 Stelvio problem free.
Its got over 13000kms and purrs like a kitten ...... sounds like a wild cat though. :laugh:
The cam/tappet recall was done before delivery. (thats it!)

Gotta admit I may have overkilled on the regular maintenance but find its worth it.
(and quite a few preventive) spark plugs wires, monoshock protector, ECU and relay splash protection, speedometer pickup sealeant .... small things.
At 10000kms I must have changed the oil 5 times, checked the valve clearance 4 times, balanced (synchronized) the throttle everytime the valves were adjusted ..... and even recently balanced them this weekend.
With the VDST software a reset is done as often.

It seem to be getting better as time continues.
(Like Vintage Scotch) ;)

Almost 25000 miles on my 09 Stelvio and nearly 9000 miles in my wifes Griso SE. No issues whatsoever from either.

After 9 months of ownership; my Griso 8V turned over 28,000 miles the other day.
I think I reported 16,000 miles in this thread back in June.
Still riding it everyday on my 150 mile commute.

At this rate I'm scheduled to put ~35,000 miles on it's first year.
(Bought it new just before Xmas 2011 as a 2010 leftover.)

Ad B said:
I love my G12 as much as my former bike, a special build Harley (fat boy look), which I loved for nearly 20 years.

99.9% of the Harley & Victory riders I know would never even consider a Guzzi! I would sure like to hear why you made the switch. When you ride the same brand for over 20 years it becomes very hard to accept any other brand. A Fat Boy and a Griso are so very different machines so come on and give us the story, please?

Back