• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

8v recal is there

pauldaytona

Cruisin' Guzzisti
There will be a recall campain, but have a little patience, your dealer doesn't know it and can't help you now.

SERVICE COMMUNICATION NUMBER 002-2009 06/02/2009
TOPIC: TECHNICAL UPDATE CAMPAIGN
SUBJECT: 8V ENGINES (GRISO 1200 – STELVIO 1200) - BOWLS
Dear Dealer,
After a careful analysis of the failures found in some batches of 8V engines installed on
Griso 1200 and Stelvio 1200 models, Moto Guzzi has decided to launch a technical update
campaign for vehicles sold into the dealer network.
This technical update consists of replacing the cam followers (‘tappets’), and for non-0km
vehicles already in use, replacing camshafts on both engine heads, following the procedure
that is detailed below.

Great. Mine hasn't failed yet so I get a spare set of cams to play with:lol: .

Do remember that this ISN'T happening with all motors but it looks like all earlier bikes will be getting the upgrade.

Pete

Excellent news, and another brownie point for MG. Their history of fixing this sort of issue has from what I can see been exemplary.

Witness the Breva CARC bearing recall, now this one and I am sure there were others that I can't remember.

BMW would do well to make similar reparations, their final drives failures still seem to be still popping up on web boards regularly after a long history and apparently no word from the factory, and yet psopective buyers still hesitate when looking at Guzzi.

Game set and match to MG :)

For us first-time Guzzi owners, that is wildly reassuring. Good job, MG.

Of course, I wonder how long it will be for my dealer to get the parts....including the "special" spark plug removal tool so he doesn't bung up my plug wires this time?

fantastic news-
will we be able to get a list of the chassis numbers affected?
anyway, to put it in perspective-
mate of mine spent €22K on a fully loaded GS 1200 Adventure 2years ago (2007). dropped it in for 10k service- was charges €110 plus vat per hour for service- because it was 17days out of warranty, was charged €100 for a new (failed) fog light switch, plus €60+vat for fitting! they then implied, that as he is planning a long trip thi s year, he should take the extended warranty (€500), just in case! needless to say, he went ABSOLUTELY NUTS!

DecD wrote:
fantastic news-

The Oz dealer site is screwing up at the moment and I can't get a numbers list. I've asked Todd Haven to have a dig about in the US site and see if he can pull this rabbit out of a hat. HAving said that by the look of the notice they'll be doing ALL bikes before a certain date.

Pete

You would hope that the factory are making sure there are enough parts available for all the warranty jobs.

Good news- hopefully this will sort this issue out once and for all.

Well, if the CARC recall was anything to go by there should be no issues. They sent an entire pallet of CARCs to Oz for all affected bikes.

It'll be interesting to see if they waited until they had stock before making the announcement?

Mario in Perth informed me that the tappet design had changed, I'll be interested to have a looksee meself.

Pete

pete roper wrote:
DecD wrote:
fantastic news-

The Oz dealer site is screwing up at the moment and I can't get a numbers list. I've asked Todd Haven to have a dig about in the US site and see if he can pull this rabbit out of a hat. HAving said that by the look of the notice they'll be doing ALL bikes before a certain date.

Pete

from as I read it, the list with numbers is on the www.servicemotoguzzi.com website, who has a dealer login there should be able to see it.

The list of vehicles involved is published in detail at www.servicemotoguzzi.com and is
available for you to consult in the Warranties section, that can be opened from the website
home page. Once you display the ‘Warranties’ page, select ‘Recall campaigns’.

Therefore, it is mandatory to provide this service only to
customers submitting this specific letter.

So it can be that the letters are send out to owners, when dealers do have parts in stock, or am I now to optimistic?

Great news!!
Now it's clear to me why the repair of my 8V was on hold ( "under investigation" ) by the Dutch importer/Guzzi.
So the tappets were the problem as Pete already assumed after testing the parts.
I'm a happy 8V owner now :) :) :)

Well I know mine must be on the list because it is in the shop. ;)

Back in Dec. my dealer attempted a repair consulting the importer and getting parts. The "repair" failed on test ride. This new repair kit and procedure sounds dandy - but I'd like advice from people here. My engine has failed twice - and repaired with probably the same faulty parts that caused the trouble in the first case. Isn't it likely that my engine has suffered lasting damage? Should I try to get a full engine swap? I'm not mechanical enough to judge things like this - but - the fact that my engine was repaired once already with bad parts will likely haunt me in future years, especially if other troubles arise. Advice appreciated.

Nick

Nick, it's very hard to give you a definitive answer on this.

If you look in the service bulletin mention is made of flushing the engine after the new parts are installed. This is all very well but previous experience with the cam/tappet failures on the hydro Calis tells me that because the oil pump is the only part that gets UNFILTERED oil it too usually suffered damage and further failures occured in some cases because the inspection of the oil pump was overlooked in the instructions for the recall work.

The only way to know for sure if this is going to be neccessary is of course to go in for a looksee. This is a LOT more work than simply doing what Guzzi is suggesting in this bulletin.

Would I do it? Yes, certainly if my tappets had gone tits and for the first few bikes I had to do I'd do it until I was certain it was un-neccessary Would I get paid for doing it? No, not unless I found the pump to be damaged and could prove thr pump needed replacement. To ME that is a small price to pay to ensure that I have happy customers and I don't end up making MORE un-neccessary work for myself. I'm lucky though because I don't run my business on tight margins. I have the luxury of being able to do this sort of thing. Many dealerships won't have that luxury. Therefore they will only do what is instructed by the factory.

It would be GOOD if you could press for replacement of the donk because then your mechanic should be able to strip and inspect the ruin and see what damage HAS occured. (if the Jap importer would be willing I'd pay the freight to have the lump shipped here so I could inspect it!) This is the ONLY way to gain the knowledge. Ev4rything else is crystal ball gazing and of course Piaggio will want to minimise the cost to them so they aren't going to err on the side of caution, (and more expense.) unless it can be proven it is neccessary.

If this all seems a bit at odds with what many people think I usually say about these issues I hasten to add that it doesn't. I think that the design is good. I think that for some reason the hardening wasn't carried out properly and MAYBE there might be a problem with the actual tappet design, (poor or lack of radiusing maybe?) but we don't know that. Getting it right IS paramount though. What has given me the irrits is that people bought the first itteration of a *new* motor and a few of them have gone wrong and then there has been bulk interneck shrieking about how awful things are when NOBODY had actually done any research as to what the problem might be or even if there was a SYSTEMIC problem.

The choice to but the *New* bike rested with us, the purchasers. As I've said elsewhere i think a lot of whingers should just HTFU. Now lets get on with getting it fixed. Are we Men or Mice???

Pete

Please, relax, but all engines get unfiltered oil when it's chilly out. There's a bypass that allows this, to forestall starvation. Aprilia has gone so far as to design a MUCH larger filter for the '04-on Milles and such and recommend everyone update to this because the farking 'tards stopped nitriding the cranks on the Milles and such. The new filter has, gasp, no bypass. Do not rely on a filter to save your engine . . .

Hi! I am very happy about this news.
As you all know i suffered the same problem. My bike is at my dealer shop for the last 3 weeks waiting for the spare parts.
Yesterday he contact me and informed me that the new parts will arive on Monday! So next week i will get my Big Red back.
Until now him and the general importer of my country provided me with all the nessesary information and contact me very often.

I am :laugh: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At last a happy weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talking about time - I saw 178min for the Stelvio, plus some for the oil change ... isn't that a bit on the short size?

Also, and this may not be the place, but what's with the washing? Basically just an oil change at about 0 miles?

Mike.C wrote:
Excellent news, and another brownie point for MG. Their history of fixing this sort of issue has from what I can see been exemplary.

Witness the Breva CARC bearing recall, now this one and I am sure there were others that I can't remember.
All very well, as long as they can be certain that they have covered every affected bike.
With the CARC recall they did not, and those left outside the group have had far greater problems getting it fixed.

Be thankful you don't own a BMW then, their final drives are still failing, how long since they were released - years, and BMW just say it's not their fault and you will pay for the repair.

Personally I recon MG's response to has been bloody fantastic.

Great news.....now I can think about getting an 8v again. I nearly took the plunge but was put of when I started to hear the horror stories.

It would will be interesting to see if there are any chassis numbers that are not on the recall list.

Back