• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

8V TECH: Valve Adjust How-To

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
1. Pry off the silly little badges.

PR8V-VAdj264.jpg

2.)Undo the 3mm hex bolt that holds on the HT lead cover and remove it.

PR8V-VAdj267.jpg

PR8V-VAdj268.jpg

How *NOT* to do it... see Tech bulletin:
PR8V-VAdj269.jpg

3.) As you can see my plug caps are manked up. This is because they are incredibly soft, even with great care i managed to tear the rubber they are made of so the best idea would be to use forceps to remove them, I didn't have a set and paid the price. New HT leads, with caps, cost $88 a side here, ridiculous! so mine are now lashed up with silastic and insulating tape. Sure it's ugly, but it works and you can't see it. But for others who don't want to screw up like I did? Get forceps to get the caps off and then tie a loop of twine around the sealing rings on the plug cap. It can be hidden under the HT lead cover and used next time to extract the cap without risk.

PR8V-VAdj270.jpg

PR8V-VAdj271.jpg

4.) Using an extension and plug socket, extract the plug.

PR8V-VAdj272.jpg

5.) Undo the 4 rocker cover retaining bolts.

PR8V-VAdj273.jpg

6.) Lift off the plastic bling and note that there are 'Tampons' beneath the screws, Yes, that's what they're called in Italian, it translates to 'Plug' :lol: There are these sealing washers under all four bolts but on the rear pair where the bling is they go ABOVE the bling.

PR8V-VAdj274.jpg

7.) Don't loose the front pair either.

PR8V-VAdj275.jpg

8.) The rocker cover can now be lifted off, the gasket is a nitrile/viton type and is re-useable.

Now repeat this opperation on the other cylinder head. Now we can get to the valve adjust.

PR8V-VAdj276.jpg

9.) Pry out the rubber bung from the front of the alternator belt cover.

PR8V-VAdj277.jpg

10.) Using a 24mm socket and a ratchet turn the nut, (Which is on the end of the crank.) CLOCKWISE as viewed from the front and wathch the valve gear. Each cylinder is a separate operation, it matters not a jot which one you start with. WAtch the inlet rocker open the inlet valves and then shut them. You now know that the piston is ascening the bore one the compression stroke.

PR8V-VAdj278.jpg

PR8V-VAdj279.jpg

11.) Poke something long and clean, (A drinking straw is good, I use an Allen key T-bar but I've done this for years and know what to expect.) down the plug 'ole and feel the piston as it rises. Once it seems to slow down as you turn the crank you know you're getting to the top of the stroke, keep turning until you feel the long, clean thing start going down again, now jiggle until you feel that you are at the highest point. You CAN take the timing bung out of the RH side of the crankcase and look for the TDC mark on the flywheel if you want to be super-exact to the book but the IMPORTANT thing is that both the tappets, (Cam followers.) should be on the BASE CIRCLE of the cams. Anywhere 80 degrees or more either side of Top Dead Centre will be on the base circles but if you are within a few degrees of it you know you're pretty right.

PR8V-VAdj280.jpg

12.) Getcha feeler guages out. 0.1 inlet and 0.15 exhaust is the go, or 4 and 6 thou if you're an old fart like me:p

PR8V-VAdj282.jpg

13.) I'm using the pick to point to the lash-cap that sits on the end of the clearance adjusting screw and the top of the valve. The clearance is measured between this and the stem of the valve.

PR8V-VAdj283.jpg

PR8V-VAdj284.jpg

PR8V-VAdj285.jpg

14.) Try and slip the feeler betwixt the lash-cap and top of the valve. Because the cap *wobbles* like a ball and socket/hip joint on the adjuster it is important to give it a bit of a wriggle. If it still won't go in you need to unlock the locknut (9mm nut.) and wind out the adjuster a bit. Then turn the adjuster, by finger at first, until the feeler guage is a smooth sliding fit. You shouldn't have to brace your foot againt the bike and tug but neither should it simply slip out. I find tightening the adjuster finger tight and then nipping up the nut will usually result in a pretty good fit as long as the adjuster doesn't tighten as you tighten the nut.

PR8V-VAdj286.jpg

15.) If neccessary use a screwdrivee in the slot of the adjuster to hold it while using the spanner to nip up the nut.

It is very important to remember that these are teeny-weeny little screws. They do NOT need to be tightened to buggery to hold their place. A gentle 'Nip' with a short spanner is all that is required. If you can't judge what might be suitable for such an application? Take it to someone who can.

Repeat the adjustment on the three other valves. The inlets are set to 4 thou the exhausts to 6 as the exhausts obviously run hotter and will expand more than the inlet valves.

PR8V-VAdj287.jpg

16.) Note that the plug orifice is sealed by an o-ring. Inspect thois carefully and have a couple of spares on hand in case of damage. You don't want your plug-ole filling with oil. Note pre-formed Viton/nitrile rocker cover gasket. I use a bit of rubber grease on the nternal o-ring just to help it slip over the *tube* in the head.

PR8V-VAdj288.jpg

17.)Replace rocker cover and ridiculous plastic bling. Don't forget the tampons!

PR8V-VAdj289.jpg

18.) Tighten down the rocker cover screws..

OK, that side is done, (You can do either side first, it matters not a jot.) you now go round to the other side, which you will of completed steps 1 to 4 on already and repeat steps 5 to 18. The con-rods share a common crankpin so TDC on one cylinder is NOT the same as TDC on the other. Just think of the engine as two single cylinder motors for the purpose of tappet adjustment and treat each one separately.

PR8V-VAdj290.jpg

19.) Add a bit of Nickel-coat or silver based anti seize to the plugs.

PR8V-VAdj291.jpg

20.) And re-install them.

PR8V-VAdj292.jpg

21.) Press home the plug caps and reposition the HT leads.

PR8V-VAdj293.jpg

22.) Re-install the HT lead covers.

PR8V-VAdj294.jpg

23.) Put back in the shitty little badge.

PR8V-VAdj295.jpg

24.) Re-install. the bung on the front of the belt cover.

Finally check that you haven't done something stupid like leave the ratchet on the end of the crank, you can account for all your tools, (None left inside!) and that all the fasteners etc are clean and tight.

All this info is given in good faith. If you can't work out which are the inlet valves and which are the exhaust valves or only have three bent screwdrivers, a sawzall and a big pair of vice grips I DON'T suggest you try it but it is easily within the ken of anybody with enough mechanical aptitude to turn on a tap without hurting themselves. I DO though state that if you screw up it is YOUR fault, not mine. so consider carefully.

This is great!

Will give it a try. I watched my dealer do it once, but with these pics, should be able to do it myself.

Thanks - and on this occasion I just made a small donation to this site.
Pete, you might get a split? :laugh:

Nick

I do have a real question.
Have you noticed the clearances increasing or decreasing over the miles on your Griso?

I normally see them increase on the old pushrod bikes. Valve train wear I assume. And I see them slightly decrease on my Centauro. I assume valve seat wear.

Neither is good or bad, just curious.

Wayne Orwig wrote:
I do have a real question.
Have you noticed the clearances increasing or decreasing over the miles on your Griso?

I normally see them increase on the old pushrod bikes. Valve train wear I assume. And I see them slightly decrease on my Centauro. I assume valve seat wear.

Neither is good or bad, just curious.

Wayne, my experience with the 8V has been same-same as yours with the Cent. Initially the clearances closed up very rapidly during the first 5,000Km. Now they seem to have 'Settled' down and when I inspected them again for this photo-essay at approx 9,500Km, (Last checked at 5,000.) they had closed up just a tiny smidgen, only really detectable by using a 3 and 5 thou guage as a Go/No Go tool rather than simply using a 4 on the inlet valves. That sort of difference could be down to something as simple as the engine not being stone, motherless, cold when I did them at 5,000.

As I said, initially the clearances closed up fairly drastically, that is why I suspect that some if not all of the Stelvio cam failures may be down to poor service rather than any true mechanical/metalurgical/engineering problem. My advice to people is to get their shop to check them, (Or do it themselves!) at the first service at 800Km/500 Miles then again at 5,000 and then again at 10,000. My GUESS is that after this 10,000Km checks will be perfectly sufficient. I intend to keep checking mine more regularly so I can form some sort of idea of what is 'Normal'. if people are willing to trust my judgement on that it should be a good baseline.

Pete

It gets ridden almost every day, rain or shine, I can't be arsed to keep it spotless. Once a fortnight or so I hit it with the steam cleaner, and very occasionally if I'm 'Going Somewhere' I'll run a bit of Mr.Sheen over the bits you can see easily. That's the limit of my cosmetic care:lol:

Pete

PS, the timing bung isn't under anything, its right there in your face in the middle of the RH side of the bell housing. About 2cm across, rubber, plugging an 'ole.

Pete

Yes, although obviously ambient temperature means that consistency is pretty much impossible. I'm not completely hysterical over this like some people but I'll always make sure that the machine has cooled down to the point where you can't feel any heat radiating from the motor when you stand next to it and placing your hands on the heads can only give you a very vague inkling the engine has been run that day. Usually leaving it for a couple of hours in cool weather is adequate, three or four in warm weather. You certainly don't just turn it off after a ride and then do the valve lash.

Pete

I guess one wouldn't want to cool the engine off to under temperatures that are habitually observed where one rides, that is, if there's an effect of temperature on the clearances! Is there - and do they increase or decrease with temperature?

So actually and by your hypothesis concerning the importance of exact maintenant, setting the clearances on too cold an engine (as in an air-conditioned workshop, or one in a colder country like the UK) could cause problems of the sort observed as well if the engine runs (very) hot frequently?

just asking, I have no idea how the clearance variation due to heat compares to the variation due to whatever it is (time?)...

RJVB wrote:
just asking, I have no idea how the clearance variation due to heat compares to the variation due to whatever it is (time?)...

The variation would be measured in microns. Not enough to worry you, or your motor ;)

double.d wrote:
RJVB wrote:

The variation would be measured in microns. Not enough to worry you, or your motor ;)

Unless you are the anal type that runs nitrogen in the tires. :)

Back