• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

8V torque dip - ECU V2

jlburgess

Tuned and Synch'ed
I'm wondering how many 8V owners have the version 2 map in their ECU? If you do have it, how did it affect torque in the 3500 to 6000 rpm range. If you've dyno'd your bike or seen the 3/09 cycle world graph you'll see a huge flat spot there.

I've noticed a big loss of drive off the corner compared to a powercommander equipped V11S. I'm sure with a proper AFM in that range, the 8V will be a beast!

I'm not aware of any aftermarket fueling solution except for maybe Pete was talking about an upcoming PC V for a Duc M1100. Anybody got new info?

jlburgess wrote:
I'm wondering how many 8V owners have the version 2 map in their ECU? If you do have it, how did it affect torque in the 3500 to 6000 rpm range. If you've dyno'd your bike or seen the 3/09 cycle world graph you'll see a huge flat spot there.

I've noticed a big loss of drive off the corner compared to a powercommander equipped V11S. I'm sure with a proper AFM in that range, the 8V will be a beast!

I'm not aware of any aftermarket fueling solution except for maybe Pete was talking about an upcoming PC V for a Duc M1100. Anybody got new info?
I've been pulling teeth at Dynojet still for the PC-V. No exciting news yet (nor Duc unit still either). Rapidbike supposedly makes a unit to work, but I remain skeptical. Currently there is a few ECU "reflashes" available via Mille Percento and a few others, but they are using Euro fuels, so I suspect they will be largely off still. I plan on having a solution one way or the other by the end of the month.

I recently got to "test" the same 8V that John Burns/CW had, and it had the "variant 2 map" and it surged like mad in the mid-range area @3k rpm+. Watch for my upcoming write-up and video ride report.

FWIW in my xperience the #2 map is a considerable improvement over the stocker.

I've also found that behavior of the motor overall is very dependent on ambient temperature in the closed loop portion of the mapping. On my bike the ideal seems to be around about 23-24*C either above or below this and the temperature compensation seems to cause the motor not so much to surge as to miss and hunt??

Given the seemingly poor start up fuelling which I assume to be the reuslt of a poor decay curve on the start up enrichening part of the map/programming, (The engine temp sensor is neither located close enough to a heat source or, given the way the running is affected is there time for it to change its signal and cause a reaction.) I would guess that there is an overall problem with the way information is interpreted by the ECU from the air and engine temp sensors.

This is one of the reasons why I think that having some sort of re-flashing or re-progarmming option is going to be needed to iron out all the problems with the 8V. I think it fuelling and running parrameters are fairly well up to cock to be honest. My bike with the #2 map goes pretty good once warm but it could be a lot nicer, especially in traffic and that is where you're spending a lot of time in the 'Annoyance Zone' which to my mind is between about 3,400 to about 4,600.

I don't think that screwing with the air bleeds or even buggerizing with the stepper motor is going to achieve that much. Like Todd I'm waiting for info on the Rapidbike option but it is, at least to me, a band-aid sollution. I'm also unwilling to do too much experimentation with mine until I have the new cams and tappets in. Not that mine have given any sign of going west but simply because if they do I'll have to pull the sump and oil pump and I can't really be bothered right now.

Keep me in the loop please Todd. I remain interested.

Pete

pete roper wrote:
My bike with the #2 map goes pretty good once warm but it could be a lot nicer, especially in traffic and that is where you're spending a lot of time in the 'Annoyance Zone' which to my mind is between about 3,400 to about 4,600.

I'm not sure what fuel map my 1200 sport 8V has, but that also hunts in traffic, but between 3000 and 4000 rpm, but only on constant throttle, it seems to accelerate past the 'annoyance zone' OK.

partycrasher wrote:
todd--any update for us on your post. Very interested! John
I'm collecting names of those willing to deposit on a $750~1000 USD ECU exchange before I take the mega leap to invest in the re-programmer/hardware/software.
Other takers? PM me direct.

todd---"upcoming write-up and video ride report".......did those ever make it to press and if so how do i find them?

Also--pcv....well---it's been talked about for months and months and still nothing. Any other available options to iron out the fueling issue currently available in the USA?

And--finally--how many folks do you need to committ to do an ecu flash before you will invest the funds to get it done....perhaps if we knew we could rally the troops and get this done---otherwise---it's just like talking about the pcv.....

thanks for all you do..

Back