• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

97 Sport 1100i battery and engine oil viscosity question

MedicAndy

Tuned and Synch'ed
I recently bought a 97 1100 Sporti, which I knew had a old battery, which needed replacing. The battery that the original owner had in this bike was a Odyssey Extreme PC545, which had a 150 CCA rating. I don't know if this is a good battery for the 1100 Sport, or should I look at a higher CCA rating to help the starter / engine to turn over faster during hot or cold starts? I'm living in NC, and I very seldom crank any of my bikes when the temp is below 50f.

I also looked at some other batteries with up to 330 CCA's, but I don't know if going up to high in CCA's could possible be harmful for a starter or engine, if they turn to fast to get everything going?

I'm not looking at starting up a big thing about batteries or CCA's here, just a simple "yes", the PC454 will do just fine, or go a little stronger / higher CCA ratings to help the bike start up easier. Please let me also know what a good battery (with model number) would be, if a higher CCA rating is recommended.

My next question is about the engine oil. The last owner told me that he used Mobil 1 20W50. So here is my first question, and I'm sorry for not being the sharpest tool in the shed!!!, but is there a Mobil 1 oil for cars, and a different Mobil 1 oil for motorcycles, or does one oil cover both car and bike engines?

And knowing that I will not ride a bike when the outside temp goes below 50f, which oil viscosity should I use during the winder month, and is 20W50 the preferred oil viscosity during the hot Carolina summer and fall month?

Thanks for any advice,

Andy

Fullsizeoutput 1fd35

The PC545 is the recommended battery for a 97 Sport 1100 I. If you needed a larger battery you could try to fit one, but unless you are having an issue with the current battery I don't see why you would. The PC545 is also used by a number of V11 owners, basically the same motor.
Another aspect is that the quoted power of a battery depends on how you measure the power of the battery. There really doesn't seem to be an industry standard so often one brands quoted numbers are really only good for comparing that battery to other batteries by the same brand.
As to oil, that is a slippery slope. But yes, there is a Mobil 1 made for motorcycles. Do you need it, well that depends. The most common reason for justifying a motorcycle specific oil is the engine and trans sharing the same oil. But on a Guzzi they don't. That said, I always use motorcycle specific oils with an SG only rating. I avoid oils that meet the newer SH / SL / SM ratings. And I usually use 20w/50 oil in my Guzzi's. I don't expect you, or anyone else to go by what I say on oils (and I am being vague on purpose), but I do suggest you read up on all the various opinions out there and make your own choice.

Congrats, sweet ride. Enjoy.

As GuzziMoto suggests, the 20W50, or even Mobil 1 15W50 is good for the old 2 valve Guzzi engines. Personally I use the automotive version Mobil 1 and have observed no detrimental effects on the engine internals. I check valves with each oil change (6 K miles) and might have to adjust one valve so I don't think I'm getting any premature wear using the automotive grade oil.

Thanks for the replies! I also talked to the service department manager, who also owns a couple of older MG's, at my local Honda dealer, and he fully agreed with using the Mobil 1 20W50 V-Twin motorcycle oil, so the oil issue is taken care off. I'm also going to keep on using the P454 battery. I assume that this battery should work just fine, so I'm going to buy and try one before buying three more for my other bikes when the time gets here.

Thanks again,

Andy

Congrats Andy, I might recommend looking into a lithium battery since they are 1/10th the weight and are well proven now. I offer one of the best here on this site; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/antigravity-battery-bs12/
On paper you will see they are superior in every aspect.
Though more expensive to buy, they will last 2-5x longer then most new AGM batts on the market. That said, Odyssey has a great track record in the past, but I can't comment on new releases as allowable lead content is getting halfed every year. Lithium is the future.

Back