• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

'98 EV looses all power when start button pressed

FlyingG

Tuned and Synch'ed
Greetings All,

I just brought a '98 EV back to life after sitting for about 5 years (water in the gas tank ruined every single fuel system component from tank to injector), however I had to start it on my racebike starting rollers.

The lights, horn, signals, etc. all work when first turning the key, but hitting the start button completely kills the entire electrical system. No fuses are blown. I think I hear the click of the starter solenoid when this happens. Apparently the ECU has a breaker that only resets after the battery is disconnected for a while. The battery is brand new. I'm still checking voltages/continuities, but so far it seems that power is getting where its supposed to when its supposed to. The bike started & ran fine with no issues before the fuel system problem. I have not tried applying voltage directly to the starter to see if it spins.

Various parts of this bike were already disassembled when I got this bike (tank off, air box out, etc.); the electrical connections were generally all still connected, but it's certainly possible I've missed something during reassembly. I did notice that the side-stand switch wiring is simply cut off, but I believe the previous owner rode it this way without issue for years.

General questions: Has anyone else experienced a problem like this? Any ideas of where/what to check?

Specific questions: Is the ECU housing (P8 type) supposed to be grounded with a dedicated wire or is it gounded through the connector wiring? Under what conditions does the ECU shut the whole electrical system off?

Thanks.

The P8 has a ground provided by the harness. See the attached PDF.

Attachments

• P8_injection_manual.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 75
My Ducati/Guzzi tech says he's about 99% sure that the starter is the culprit - locked up, corroded, etc. Does that sound right for my symptoms?

Thanks for the info, John.

FlyingG said:
My Ducati/Guzzi tech says he's about 99% sure that the starter is the culprit - locked up, corroded, etc. Does that sound right for my symptoms?

Thanks for the info, John.

Take out the starter but leave it connected electrically. Make sure the starter has a ground path back to the engine. Press the starter button button as see if it spins or you get the same symptoms. Let us know what happens.

My first port of call with this sort of issue is the earth strap. Check BOTH ends, quite often corrosion and mank at the end away from the battery will allow enough current to pass to operate the idiot lights, ecu etc. but as soon as it is asked to carry a whole load of current draw from the starter it will simply refuse to do so and the whole box and dice will shut down.

Not saying this is categorically the problem, simply that its worth checking.

Pete

The starter was the culprit. Removed & disassembled, but didn't see anything tragic. Replaced with new Valeo unit from EuroMotoElectrics & it fired right up. Been riding the snot out of it ever since. Thanks for everyone's help.

Back