• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

98ev1100 brake system

jedo

Just got it firing!
I have never had to mess with the brakes on this bike so I am pretty ignorant about the system and some quick searches did not turn up much.

I've noticed that the brakes were not as 'strong' as they used to be and put it off to shock fluid seeping from a bad seal on the right side down on the pad (fixing that seal soon) ...then I realized that the 'buzzing' sound I used to hear every time I applied the brakes was no longer making that sound.

I always assumed that noise was some hydraulic assist having to do with the linked brakes etc.

So what is that 'noise', why has it stopped, where do I start. If you could point me to a good resource I would be forever in your debt but if you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you can imagine!

Jedo,

The buzzing, good question. There is no hydraulic assist. It may have been the back of the brake pad moving on the caliper pistons. Other possible sources are the pins that hold the pads in place and the buttons of the rotor. Now that everything is lubricated with fork oil it has gone away.

The new fork seal is tricky to install on this bike since it is done with the tube in the slider. I made a tool from PVC pipe (turned down the last 2 inches or so to fit inside the slider) to drive the seal in place. The pipe is longer than the fork tube so it is easy to drive the seal in square.

The buzzing comes from the relief holes in the front discs. As they pass between the pads, the pads distort slightly into these holes. It makes more friction and a lot of noise.

Oil on the brake pads = bad juju. Get that fixed now.

Patrick

It's more like a hisssss and it's good news. It means it's braking :D

Back