• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

A bit more of a heads up on the 8V grenade issue.

Too many people not riding, and Guzzi closed? (Piaggio should be handling warranty stuff with their usual nimbleness, but do remember that the issue is [largely] restricted to the UK according to some ... where it's probably too cold to ride now? :silly:)

Yes sounds likely!

I would have thought from Guzzis point of view the sooner they jump on this and identify the root cause of the few failures so far, the better it will be them financially and for their reputation.

Mind you if they are all away until February then I guess nowt will get done until then.

Your right there RJVB , too cold for most here in the UK. I'm using the Pan Euro whilst the salt is on the roads, i've covered 900 miles last week and only seen about 8 bikes.

My new (700 km!) Griso 8V can be added to the list, defective valve mechanism on one cylinder........
I am planning a large trip for the summer, not sure which Guzzi to use :( :(
Time for Guzzi to come with a solution!!!!

Bummer. Any idea when it was built (some of these bikes spend considerable time between leaving the factory and finding an owner...)

well, at least Todd can store that in his Registry ;)

but yes. I'd have to check again, but I think the 08 in there means that you've got a 2008 model.

What about oil? Are these engines being broken in on synthetic? Does "new" oil have the additives that these engines were origionally designed to run on? Who got the tappet contract? Who makes the cams? How come some manufacturers have roller cams instead of flat tappet cams? Valve spring pressure, lift, RPM, You'd better have some slippery shit in there during break in or the whole system is compromised. Pete G

Seekhunt wrote:
What about oil? Are these engines being broken in on synthetic? Does "new" oil have the additives that these engines were origionally designed to run on? Who got the tappet contract? Who makes the cams? How come some manufacturers have roller cams instead of flat tappet cams? Valve spring pressure, lift, RPM, You'd better have some slippery shit in there during break in or the whole system is compromised. Pete G

Good questions to be answered by Guzzi ASAP

Oh, Jesus H.Christ on a bike??? Do any of you people actually live in the real world or are you all IT nutters and pen pushers????

I've rarely seen such pomposity, even on the internet!!!

Erm ... I'm a bit tempted to say "welcome to the real world"! :p (Besides, we know you've found the thread on that particular question :D )

Some of those questions do seem relevant, but I doubt Piaggio will ever give an answer to them.

pete roper wrote:
Oh, Jesus H.Christ on a bike??? Do any of you people actually live in the real world or are you all IT nutters and pen pushers????

I've rarely seen such pomposity, even on the internet!!!

Well, I for one live in a real world with a real new 16K euro bike with a real trashed valve mechanism within 700 km.
The real sad part is that I'm not the only one and am planning a trip through Europe this summer but don't trust the bike I bought for the job anymore.

Amen

Klaas, do you have the ability to reject the bike in your country? Here in the UK it is possible under some circumstances. That way you could choose an alternative.
On the other hand, I have little doubt that Guzzi will have a reliable fix in plenty of time for your trip, maybe it would be best not to push your dealer into repairing it too quickly.

Hi Brian, in the Netherlands you can return any product within two weeks of purchase, due to wheather conditions it took me a little longer to trash it.
I'm not pushing my dealer at all due to the fact that their mecanic has recently been operated on both hands (result from accidents racing Guzzi's in the past).
I hope but doubt there will be a solution to the problems within the next couple of months (hope so of course), the Griso 8V was introduced in september 2007......
I could however gain some confidence riding the bike to it's limits after repair and frequently check valve clearences during that time.

september 2007 ... was that when it was first presented to the press, or was that they started to appear in the streets?

Anyway, as Pete keeps saying, we have no knowledge whether there's an issue with the engine design, or something related to the parts that are failing. Remember, there seem to have been much more failures in Stelvios than in Grisos, at least of late (Pete correct me if I'm wrong...)

There may be a reliable fix though (for Griso owners at least) ... try to convince Guzzi to swap the engine for the trusty old 2-valver :p :silly:

look, don't get me wrong. I am very sympathetic with the people who's bikes have lunched themselves. It must be extraordinarily frustrating.

The thing is though it doesn't matter how much testing the factory may of carried out with pre-production models or on a test rig and dynamometer some times problems wont show up until a machine is in everyday service. Look at the way Gold Wings started cracking frames or BMW final drives started lunching themselves or Kawasakis seized cams due to porous castings. It can happen to any machine, those are simply three examples.

When something essentially *new* is launched there is always a risk involved in being the first customer. It is certainly something I take into account whenever I buy something. Nobody is FORCING me to make a purchase of anything.

Like wise I find the attitude to the problem odd. I recently had a large kitched extension added to my home, it cost a lot more than a motorbike, despite my builder doing all the calculations and using a lifetime of experience when the wind blows from the south east and it rains heavily it blows the rain back up under the eaves of the *old* house and there is a serious internal leak. It's a real pisser, but building the way we did was a CALCULATED RISK, this time it didn't pay off. OK, so I live with it. When Dave the Builder is well again, (He's just had a prostate op.) he'll fix it, just like Guzzi will fix the issue with the cam/tappet failures, but isee no need to scream and shriek and kick up a stink and blame Dave or tell anyone he's the worst builder in the world and completely unreliable because it simply isn't so. A mistake was made, it'll be fixed, until it is on the rare occasions when it rains and blows from the south east I'll just have to accept that I'll have a dripping cieling in my nice new kitchen and have to put some buckets out. It's serious, but not THAT serious and I'm not going to die in a ditch about it. Jesus if this is the worst thing that ever happens in my life I'll consider myself blessed!

C'mon. it's a motorbike, its not that awful:blink:

Pete

RJVB wrote:
Anyway, as Pete keeps saying, we have no knowledge whether there's an issue with the engine design, or something related to the parts that are failing. Remember, there seem to have been much more failures in Stelvios than in Grisos, at least of late (Pete correct me if I'm wrong...)

The Griso and Stelvio motors are identical, I have no idea of the number of failures or the relative frequency on one or other model. As I've kept saying all we can do at the moment is stab in the dark.

What I have been told by the Oz importer is that they have probably now sold about 50 Grios. whether these have all been registered and ridden by customers I have no idea, the failure rate is about 5% but that MAY represent a much higher number of actual sold and ridden bikes. I'm sorry. How would I know? I don't even sell them.

I'm hoping as I've said elsewhere to have some of the broken bits next week. If I do get them I can then set about getting them analysed. Note this analysis will NOT be done by me but by proffessional engineers, probably at the Australian Mint who, oddly enough, specialize in metalurgical analysis. Whatever they say I'll pass on. Hopefully that will give us some sort of answer or at least a pointer in the right direction. You won't have to take my word on it so unless you are so hopelessly paranoid that you think I'd make stuff up just to try and 'Fool' people you should be able to make some decisions regarding this for yourselves.

Pete

pete roper wrote:
What I have been told by the Oz importer is that they have probably now sold about 50 Grios. whether these have all been registered and ridden by customers I have no idea, the failure rate is about 5% but that MAY represent a much higher number of actual sold and ridden bikes. I'm sorry. How would I know? I don't even sell them.

At my dealer the failure rate is 100% :)
That's of course not a representative figure (by far), but I wouldn't trust failure percentages given to me by an importer who makes a living selling those bikes.

Re:A bit more of a heads up on the 8V grenade issu

No, they probably wouldn't to mere end users like you and I. But Pete is an accredited repair person and as such it is in his AND the importer's interest that he knows certain things. Knowledge of a failure rate will help tracking down issues (as in what to look for in what order) and also to plan parts stocks. Besides, I think he's been instrumental enough in helping to find solutions to earlier issues that he must have earned some esteem, contacts and/or just general less-tight-lippedness at the importer's ;)
(me wrong, Pete? :whistle: )

Back