• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

A bit more of a heads up on the 8V grenade issue.

Re:A bit more of a heads up on the 8V grenade issu

Oh Peter, it seems my premature senility is rearing its ugly head once again. Re the gardening bit -- had you confused with "double d". I'm sure he's a fine fellow, but that's why those comments. All the good stuff was sincerely meant for you. Your posts are most informative and very welcomed! Thank you my Ozzie friend. -Henry

Kinda nice to know that when God had some spare time, He spent it on Guzzi!

Henry wrote:
Peter, Peter, Peter, you are a wise man. Kind of remind me of myself. I've enjoyed your postings and can't help but wonder if your mechanical employment involves Guzzis. "What a daft thing to ask", you might respond. But I was just wondering. By the way, the next time you are on your haunches, pulling out some weeds, you might want to offer a few words to the Man upstairs, 'cause He's the one that made your garden (and more importantly, your Guzzi). By the way, we Canadians are very fond of you Ozzies, you know. Actually, our countries/cultures/histories are extremely similar. Anyhow, thanks for your posts. I feel like I have my own personal Guzzi Geek just one click away. Talk to ya, mate. -Henry

Henry me old China, I have no idea what you are talking about.

As for 'God' I despise the whole concept of organized religion in whatever form it takes. Medievalist nonsense. You want to believe the world is run by an omnipotent being who takes intent interest in every one of his 'Creations'? That's fine. Just don't try and tell me he has anything to do with me. My life is governed by good luck and the laws of chemistry and physics. No God or Gods required so please don't bother trying to prozletyse ona motorbike board 'cos I for one find it tiresome and tedious.

Other than that, if I can help in any way, please ask?

Pete

Couldn't agree more, but didn't want to be more explicit on a US-based board... However, I have been raised in "properly" catholic fashion (my parents' responsibility, what I chose to do with it is mine ;) ) ... and I must say that the idea that the god of a monotheistic religion created something like a motorcycle strikes me as rather heretic.

Here's the 1st thing that came to my mind ... lil' Guzzila, but one may pronounce Godzilla :D

Guzzila.jpg

Haven't heard of any 8V failures in the good old U.S., probably cause it is hard to find one at any of the few dealers scattered around the country. It is apparent that there is a problem with some of the 8 valve motors and who knows how long the ones that haven't blown will hold together. To get an answer out of Guzzi on this issue leaves something to be desired, hell, I ordered a Tom Tom GPS unit for my Norge 3 to 4 months ago and still nothing has come in. Think I will stick with reading maps.

ncassidy wrote:
hell, I ordered a Tom Tom GPS unit for my Norge 3 to 4 months ago and still nothing has come in. Think I will stick with reading maps.
Well cancel the order and buy a Garmin unit instead, which should be available over the counter at many places near you.

To get this back on topic:

is/are there sound recording(s) of what an affected head sounds like as opposed to a healthy one? If indeed there's awareness at Piaggio that "abnormal noise levels" equal "changing a few parts", it would be to the benefit of everyone to have an idea what to listen to!

Oh strewth mate, you have got to be joking. Just get a tape recorder, or if your computer literate use the inbuilt microphone , press record and yell the following at the top of your voice.

Bang, clickety, bung, Bang, clickety, bung, Bang, clickety, bung, Bang, clickety, bung, Bang, clickety, bung, Bang, clickety, bung, Bang, clickety, bung, Bang, clickety, bung, Bang, clickety, bung, Bang, clickety, bung, Bang, clickety, bung, Bang, clickety, bung, Bang, clickety, bung, oh shit....

That's what it sounds like - from inside the tappett cover, turn teh sound down by 50% and that's what it sounds like from outside the tappet cover, turn it down by another 10% and that's what it sounds like while riding along a freeway whistleing dixie and hoping your going to be home in time for tea.

A recording :dry: , you're joking right? ;)

Mike.C wrote:
Oh strewth mate, you have got to be joking. Just get a tape recorder, or if your computer literate use the inbuilt microphone , press record and yell the following at the top of your voice.

Bang, clickety, bung, Bang, clickety, bung, Bang, clickety, bung, Bang, clickety, bung, Bang, clickety, bung, Bang, clickety, bung, Bang, clickety, bung, Bang, clickety, bung, Bang, clickety, bung, Bang, clickety, bung, Bang, clickety, bung, Bang, clickety, bung, Bang, clickety, bung, oh shit....

That's what it sounds like - from inside the tappett cover, turn teh sound down by 50% and that's what it sounds like from outside the tappet cover, turn it down by another 10% and that's what it sounds like while riding along a freeway whistleing dixie and hoping your going to be home in time for tea.

A recording :dry: , you're joking right? ;)

:laugh: Exactly! It sounds like its 'Donald Ducked'. It's a MAJOR failure of a component. You don't need to be pre-informed, believe me, you'll know. If you are so insensitive you can't pick something like a tappet failure I suggest you buy stout shoes, use public transport or buy a f@cking horse that will let you know of a problem by falling over sideways and stopping breathing:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: If you continue riding when a bike is making such noises? You shouldn't be allowed anything sharp and should only be allowed out in public wearing a bright orange reflective jacket with 'IDIOT' printed on it in the language of your nation and probably one of those trackable bracelets they use for peadophiles.

Pete

Not always true, mine died abrubtly with some strange sounds.
No warning in advance at all.

klaas123 wrote:
Not always true, mine died abrubtly with some strange sounds.
No warning in advance at all.

Yeah....I had the same problem with MY trackable bracelet......just POOF!...and it was gone.

Once through the hardening wear will occur very quickly but 2mm or more of valve clearance WILL make a hideous racket. If yours didn't perhaps it suffered a different sort of failure but a tappet failure of the sort I've seen pics of would make a ghastly din for at least minutes even at highish RPM before atastrophic failure.

pete

I just lost (all) power on 1 cylinder and that was it.
My dealer is not nearby, will ask him for photo's of the failed parts.

Huh.

Here is a thought.
Could it be that those bikes had the cleaances set way wide, and they were making a lot of valve racket to begin with, so you didn't notice the noise when the clearances grew? I know there are still a lot of "a noisy valve is a happy valve" people out there.

Wayne Orwig wrote:
Huh.

Here is a thought.
Could it be that those bikes had the cleaances set way wide, and they were making a lot of valve racket to begin with, so you didn't notice the noise when the clearances grew? I know there are still a lot of "a noisy valve is a happy valve" people out there.

I really don't think so Wayne, The clearances on my bike were about 10 thou inlet and exhaust, maybe a bit bigger on the exhaust. It ticked a bit but that was it when I re-set em at the 1st service to that wide setting just to see what it did but there was none of the heavy-duty clacking that has been reported when the tappets have actually failed. You would of experienced the sort of noise you'd get when your Honda's cam failed I expect./ Or is you've ever dealt with a Guzzi with a collapsed pushrod. It sounds like a bunch of amphetamine fueld gnomes going at it hammer and tongs under the rocker cover. There'd be no mistaking it.

Pete

Mine was quiet for a Guzzi and did not noticeably change until breakdown althoug I did my last run with cat and db killer removed from the Quat-D silencer so I may have missed something ;)

Well I was talking to Paul from Corsa Italiana in London again last night. He was at a European dealer conference in Monaco the previous week and a few dealers were talking on this issue.
In the UK, it seems that the failures are in bike ssupplied by just a few dealers. Several dealers, although they may have supplied several 8 valve bikes, have had no failures at all.
Paul has sold several himself with absolutely no problems, including one of the first Stelvios in the UK, which has done several European trips since.
Now one thing which he asked was what oil were the dealers using. Whereas many manufacturers stipulate which oil (brand and type)you MUST use,Guzzi only give the basic spec. They recommend one manufacturer but do not insist.
So, what oil was used in those which fail.
Corsa use Rock oil of the right spec.
There may also be an issue with PDI.

pete roper wrote:It sounds like a bunch of amphetamine fueld gnomes going at it hammer and tongs under the rocker cover. Pete[/quote]

There you have it, no recording needed. :laugh:

Moto Strada say they have seen one bike with the problem. I'm not sure whether this was warranty work on a Stelvio that they sold or whether it was from another supplier. They supply and recommend Motul 300V, which is certainly expensive enough!
Here's hoping everything is ok for my trip in March. I'm going with a pal who will be travelling on his reliable as clockwork Honda. I would hate to spoil the break.
I asked if they recommended checking the clearances before I go - I have just over 2000 miles on the bike and should have 5500-6500 when I get back. They said that there was no reason to check but would have a word with Piaggio for advice. I'm also hoping that they can supply an oil dipstick and cover of the new design.

GuzziHop wrote:
I'm also hoping that they can supply an oil dipstick and cover of the new design.

just take the whole covers off, no need for them, and it doesn't make the bike prettier.

Back