• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

A bit more of a heads up on the 8V grenade issue.

I think that I would inspect and adjust them before the trip. Most importantly, try to measure them carefully as they are now, compared to how they were, to basically inspect them for abnormal wear.
It only takes a few minutes.

Keep good records of any changes.

Re:A bit more of a heads up on the 8V grenade issu

Bearing in mind that Corsa Italiana and Moto Strada are probably sell more Guzzis in the UK than anyone else, I would have expected them to have the most failures if there was a design fault.

From the sound of it, nobody really knows what has caused the few failures so far but they seem mainly confined to dealers that do not sell a lot of Guzzis so possibly inadequate PDI / servicing is a factor.

If you are used to PDI'ing Jap (or even other Italian) bikes (air in the tyres, and if you are lucky some polish on the tank) maybe those dealers do not take the amount of time it needs to properly set up the very few Guzzis they sell as a sideline.

One thing I did with mine is take it in for its first service at 600 miles rather than the 900 mile specified for the 8v motors- did not like the idea of having swarfy oil in the motor for longer than was necessary at Jason at Moto Strada was more than happy to do the first service early.

Anyway, I'm just guessing- mine is due for its annual service soon and Jason will be having a good look at the top end before I take her away to Europe again.

Guy

Apparantly, when the aformentioned discussion was taking place in Monaco, A Guzzi technical rep was listening in, When Paul asked what oil people used he went very thoughtful and dissapeared quickly.

guzzirider wrote:
From the sound of it, nobody really knows what has caused the few failures so far but they seem mainly confined to dealers that do not sell a lot of Guzzis so possibly inadequate PDI / servicing is a factor.
Guy
After such low mileage, even a zero serviced vehicle should not show any sign of damage.
I remember the eightys when V50/V65 TT cracked valves prior to the first service. I was working at a Guzzi dealer in austria at that time and saw this first hand. I do not hope that build quality comes down to this level again.

I like the design of the new 4 valve engine and hopefully Guzzi will get it sorted before a vehicle cracks during a motor press test. Would be a worst case for Guzzi.

guzzirider wrote:

On my 8V tappets were adjusted by my dealer at 0km, engine failed before first service so servicing was no factor for sure.

Sorry Paul, the failed parts were already at the importer when I requested photo's from my dealer.

guzzirider wrote:
Bearing in mind that Corsa Italiana and Moto Strada are probably sell more Guzzis in the UK than anyone else, I would have expected them to have the most failures if there was a design fault.

I wouldn't trust failure rates given to me by a dealer or importer of ANY product.

Well actually I do trust these guys who I have known, and done business with for many years.

I don't think anyone can say servicing is not a factor- how do we know these bikes have been serviced properly? Who knows?

At the end of the day, until we get the definitive answer on the cause of these problems, everything we discuss here is just speculation.

Guy

guzzirider wrote:
I don't think anyone can say servicing is not a factor- how do we know these bikes have been serviced properly? Who knows?

Nobody said that, in my case it's impossible though.
Also it may be a factor in some cases but It's not likely to be the sole cause of early 8V failure.

Look, I really don't know how much longer this can be flogged to death?

1.) There are MANY 8V motors out there that are doing just fine. If it was a DESIGN issue then they'd all be failing. They aren't

2.) What is failing is the cam and tappets. Failed units have been analysed by a proffessional metalurgist using a hardness testing machine and it was found that the failed tappet was woefully soft and not up to the task.

3.) When a tappet fails it will happen very quickly after the initial hardened coating on the tappet is breached. The interior of the tappet will still be a lot softer than even an inadequately hardened exterior. The exterior won't fail at once neccessarily but once it does failure will be rapid AND NOISY.

4.) This problem is NOT universal and although the tappets appear to have been re-designed, (It sounds to me, but I haven't seen one, only had one described to me, that they may now be two part with a hardened foot, this though is conjecture.). The failures are usually happening between 2,000Km and 5,000Km but there are obviously exceptions either way.

5.) The factory is aware of the problem and is addressing it on a case by case basis.

Klaas, since your bike failed so early and was apparently silent before it happened I have to wonder if yours was affected by this problem or something else. You mentioned that it lost power on one cylinder? By this do you mean that one cylinder just suddenly cut out and the other one continued to run normally? Or did the motor lock up or stop or what exactly happened? If it just stopped on one cylinder and the problem is mechanical rather than electrical it sounds more as if something has caused the cam timing to change suddenly, the sprocket nut coming loose and shearing the locator dowel or something, and the valves getting bent. The failure you describe with no unusual noise certainly doesn't sound like cam/tappet failure but of course without seeing what has happened it is really impossible to make any kind of realistic diagnosis.

As I've stated before, more so than the pushrod models, (Although cam and tappet failures in those seem to have increased and be directly related to oil.) the Nuovo Hi-Cams are more likely to benefit from a good quality Ester based fully synthetic oil. Is it *vital*? Who can tell for sure, but the added protection it offers, especially if you hunt down one with an SG rating, is certainly not going to hurt. The days of being able to use any old Yak Fat are, alas, gone.

Pete

:silly: good for the Yaks ... and they can be ridden, too! :silly:

pete roper wrote:
Klaas, since your bike failed so early and was apparently silent before it happened I have to wonder if yours was affected by this problem or something else. You mentioned that it lost power on one cylinder? By this do you mean that one cylinder just suddenly cut out and the other one continued to run normally? Or did the motor lock up or stop or what exactly happened? If it just stopped on one cylinder and the problem is mechanical rather than electrical it sounds more as if something has caused the cam timing to change suddenly, the sprocket nut coming loose and shearing the locator dowel or something, and the valves getting bent. The failure you describe with no unusual noise certainly doesn't sound like cam/tappet failure but of course without seeing what has happened it is really impossible to make any kind of realistic diagnosis.

Yes Pete, during acceleration out of a town (at approx. 4000 rpm) I suddenly lost all power on one cylinder. It had been running fine for 150km that day in december last year.
I had taken the cat & db killer out of my Quat-D that day which resulted in (too) much noise so maybe I missed something (was also wearing a tight integral helmet with visor closed, it was very cold).
When I stopped the bike alongside the road (running on one cylinder) I heard some strange mettalic sounds and killed the engine immediatly.
Some part(s) failed in the valve-train (I assume a tappet) according to my dealer, no bent valves. I have not seen the damage myself as I don't live near my dealer but the case is under investigation by the importer/Guzzi.
Max rpm I drove with the bike was 5000rpm as I was still running in the bike (700km).

klaas123 wrote:
pete roper wrote:

Untill it's solved I assume? ;)

(Sigh) Bikes in the USA don't appear to be failing. The cause has been established for the failures and the tappets which were the problem have been redesigned and remanufactured. How much more *solved* do you want?

Yes its very unfortunate that it happened at all but it has obviously been dealt with. The ball is now back in your court, either wait for the bike to be returned which hopefully will be done quickly and go off and enjoy it or, if you now feel you can't trust the machine? sell it and move on.

Pete

pete roper wrote:

I'll lend a hand in case people are getting tired ;)

380744272_HXqaH-M.gif

Until the issue/problem/feature is clearly identified and resolved/corrected/embraced by the manufacturer, endless speculation most likely will continue... This is teh interwebs, after all...

I'm considering a Norge, so even I am eagerly awaiting to hear when the 8V version is available, and if it comes with "officially improved" valve bits or "will be addressed on a case to case basis if necessary" ones :huh:
Of course if only the older engine model is available, much less pondering for me :)

pete roper wrote:
klaas123 wrote:
pete roper wrote:

Untill it's solved I assume? ;)

(Sigh) Bikes in the USA don't appear to be failing. The cause has been established for the failures and the tappets which were the problem have been redesigned and remanufactured. How much more *solved* do you want?

Yes its very unfortunate that it happened at all but it has obviously been dealt with. The ball is now back in your court, either wait for the bike to be returned which hopefully will be done quickly and go off and enjoy it or, if you now feel you can't trust the machine? sell it and move on.

Pete

And how many bikes were sold in the USA, 6 or 12?
What do you know for sure about redesigned tappets and them solving the problem?

My bike is "under investigation" which may be a good thing but if the problem was solved they could simply replace the failed parts and return the bike to me.

Keeping or selling my bike has nothing to do with this discussion Pete, this is a Guzzi forum where we discuss this problem in 2 threads, both started by yourself mind you. What's wrong with that?

Klaas, I don't think Pete started either thread with the idea of chewing endlessly on the subject in the absence of new data (and as a reminder, the plural of anecdote is not data).

If your bike is under investigation, it may indeed be because her failure was atypical, that this was recognised, and that whatever is currently accepted as the tentative solution is being (re)evaluated in light of what happened to your bike.

some_finn: the 2V engine is more than adequate for the Norge. I'd even say that in order to take advantage of the gains the 8V engine offers, you'd probably have to invest in suspension upgrades like the ones Todd offers. It is almost certain that an 8V Norge will be released at some point, but it might still be a long time from hitting shops near you. I'd not (be able to) wait for that myself ;)

pete roper wrote:

1.) There are MANY 8V motors out there that are doing just fine. If it was a DESIGN issue then they'd all be failing. They aren't

2.) What is failing is the cam and tappets. Failed units have been analysed by a proffessional metalurgist using a hardness testing machine and it was found that the failed tappet was woefully soft and not up to the task.

As I've stated before, more so than the pushrod models, (Although cam and tappet failures in those seem to have increased and be directly related to oil.) the Nuovo Hi-Cams are more likely to benefit from a good quality Ester based fully synthetic oil. Is it *vital*? Who can tell for sure, but the added protection it offers, especially if you hunt down one with an SG rating, is certainly not going to hurt. The days of being able to use any old Yak Fat are, alas, gone.

Pete

Well, we can certainly manage to flog this one longer: think about the 22? pages on the merits of your sloppage sheet over @ v11lm.com? ;)

1) Design...
&
Oil...

Maybe it is time for Guzzi to face up to the reality that the flat tappet"s days are over (Sorry for the quote instead of an apostrophe there, the forum software is barfing & keeps putting me in "Quick Find" mode when I hit the apos. key... :p ) and move on to roller lifters like the automotive industry has been forced to do with the verdammt "friction modified" oils that have had all the high pressure additives removed?

Not that I"m anti-flat tappet: with the right oils they work just fine, but as Euro(insert # increment here) encroaches, the cat converters on bikes are going to be more & more scrutinized, and our freedoms ever more eroded with EPA-mandated annual smog testing, etc., which will in turn eliminate the use of quality oils from motorcycles here in the States too.

Still cant count the number of actual stelvio owners on thei page, is it 6..... or 7. Seems to many Guzzi lovers are jumping on the band wagon. My Guzzi was fixed ok. Had the recall notice too. The prob was with the cam follower not the cam. THE CAM IS NOT BEING REPLACED UNDER WARRENTY FOR 0 MILES BIKES. That means the cam is ok.

Why dont we put a line under this thread, Guzzi has owned up, end of.............

Summers here chaps

Back