• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

A Breva at Bonneville!! (or: "the Route.." part 2))

Holt

High Miler
GT Contributor
- or "The Route" part 2.

We (son&I) had some plans on going to the Pyrenees this year, but somehow we realized that time wouldn't allow us.
So we went for the Rounding Switzerland” tour instead.
Idea was to drive round the country without ever crossing the border; mainly because I won't pay that ridiculous SFR 40 fee for a Vignette. If the fat Swiss consists on that, I can consist on keeping away from that country.

After the Czech crash last year my son, true to his brand, bought a Thruxton. Cheap in insurance, maybe not the best bike for touring, but as he’s still young the cramped sitting position seems to be tolerable. It’s an older carburettor model, with the low clip-ons.

Early warning; there won't be very many pics here, as we mainly rode during the days, started at 9 in the morning, and stopping for the night at about 17-1730, having brakes for lunch and tanking gas and water only, all days except for one resting day at Mandello.

With an early start from home we reached Bergen the first evening. ( No, not THAT Bergen. The Bergen known from the name of Bergen-Belsen, which by obvious reasons isn’t á la mode anymore)

Sorry, no pics. Seems to be the largest European military practice area found, and is crowded with British military. Everybody speaks English and boiled lamb with mint sauce is the hoot down there. :p

Next day after driving smaller country roads, we landed at a small village Gasthaus north of Koblenz, for having a riding day on the shores of the Mosel-river. It also was the beginning of the warm weather period that strikes Europé since then. After that day we didn’t experince one single day when temperatures at midday went under 35 C*. Cooler at Alp-passes, of course, but the valleys didn’t make exceptions.

At the Mosel; having a break.

P1010105.jpg

P1010113.jpg

Really; the Mosel river isn’t too much fun to ride. Impressing and beautiful, yes, but a quite boring road. So we turned south at Sennheim and rode over the Hunsrück
(Seen Edgar Reitz ”Heimat” series? Then You’ll know) – towards Saarbrücken/Sarreguemines in France.
I’ve read about the ”Routes des Haute Alpes” some years ago, and following that we’d go right outside the Swiss border, and probably have a good time driving.

So hitting Phalsbourg (right north of Strasboug,) in Alsace-Lorraine in the evening brought us on trace.

P1010117.jpg

The ”Routes” are starting in Thonon-les-Bains, on the the south shore of the Lac Lemans, also known as the Sea of Geneva.
We made it to Bonneville before starting the real fun.

P1010140.jpg

P1010145.jpg

So came the first day of fun and joy.

P1010150.jpg

Basically we rode Le Grand Bornard – Flumet – Séez – Sainte-Foy Tarantaise – Val d’Isere – Larsle Villard – Modane – Saint-Martin-dÁrc – Briancon during two days. The whole Route is 680 km, and I guess you should plan for 4 days, f you want to go all the way to Menton at the Côte d’Azur.

http://www.grande-traversee-alpes.com/m ... trail.html

Also I’m not sure we followed the track exactly, as we rode after the GPS in the ”short track” mode, giving us some deroutes over very narrow roads.

P1010159.jpg

It can at times be difficult to see if it’s going up or down, but you can always tell by watching the always and overall present Tour-de-France-wannabees. Pedalling like hell it’s going up; fluttering garments and white faces, it’s going down. :mrgreen:

P1010160.jpg

P1010182.jpg

Val d’Isere is really abandoned in summer, but at the Col d’Iseran it’s high life. And an impressing view, of course.

P1010165.jpg

P1010177.jpg

P1010176.jpg

- but still warm; 22 C* at the pass, and still clammy trouser's.

P1010180.jpg

Always a road down again

P1010184.jpg

Evening at Valloire.

P1010191.jpg

Next day we rode over the Col du Galabier, an even more impressive pass than the Iseran IMHO. Narrower, steeper roads and more – err - Je-ne-sais-Qui. :dry:

P1010246.jpg

P1010237.jpg

P1010240.jpg

P1010253.jpg

P1010247.jpg

On the road down to Briancon we also passed the Col du Lautaret and the Col du Telegraph. It just goes on and on and on.

From Briancon we turned into Italy for the first decent cup of coffee on the trip.

P1010254.jpg

We went over Sestriere and Pinerolo to Torina, and from there the Autostrada all the way to Como, as the temperatures now had raised to nearly 39 C* and combined with a never before felt humidity it made slower or demanding riding nearly impossible.

Mamma Ciccias was fully booked, alas, so we got a room at the Grigna, which was a kind of fortunate, as they’ve got air conditioned rooms. Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh…… :laugh:

Sunday was the day of relief and resting, doing nothing but sitting under the shady trees at the shores of Lario, reading, walking around a little, and dining at Mamma Ciccias in the evening.
Great kitchen, great wines!

P1010273.jpg

P1010282.jpg

Monday we went north again, passing Bormio and the now a days crowded Stelvio.

P1010291.jpg

P1010288.jpg

Blame the British! It’s a goat market up there! Said to be because of the road recommendations made in the ”Top Gear” programme.

After that – we actually had the only drops of rain throughout the whole tour going down the Stelvio on the north side, but it wasn’t enough to make anything soaked – we passed through Austria, had a chat with a very sympathetic American bloke living in Japan and bicycling from Prague to Venice ( - over Landeck??? What a deroute!) – we landed in Garmisch Partenkirchen.

P1010300.jpg

Sorry, no ski jumping. That’s the great new years day event, when everybody are a bit, err, tired. :whistle:

But they’ve got marmots. ( I actually glimpsed one alive somewhere on the road)

P1010298.jpg

After Garmisch we went home in 2 days, mainly by Autobahn. Done Germany too often for making any more deroutes at this stage of the travel..

To sum up; the Breva did what it was supposed to do. Again. Consumed 0,8 liter of oil during the 4000 km ride and probably 200 liters of gas.
Only thing; my new meshed riding gear doesn’t go well with a plastic covered saddle. Clammy in hot weather.
Also my legs are getting a bit stiff. I’ll go practising the gym this winter, and if it doesn’t approve for the next season, I’ll need to change the Breva for something with a more upright sitting position legwise.

AND; I'll really recommend everyone to take that "Route" tour. It's my best ride ever!

Re: A Breva at Bonneville!! (cross-posting)

Looks like you had a cracking trip! An Alpine/high pass trip is on my list, I think I'll 'favourite' this one for some future tips!

Have you thought about tweaking the pegs on your Breva? I've swapped the bars and pegs on my 1200 (Mana bars and Buell pegs) and I no longer suffer from thigh cramps and nasty pains between the shoulders even on back to back long days..... I realise your 750 is a different layout, but it's just a thought.

Neil

Ah mountains, we don't have many of them here so the Minister and I are shipping the bikes to New Zealand for 4 weeks blasting around the South Island at Christmas to see for ourselves what they look and feel like.

Great story as always and has wet the appetite for them thar high and cool hills, thanks mate.

BTW, do you have to go down a gear when going up or is it up a gear when going down :cool: :lol:

20001200c said:
Looks like you had a cracking trip! An Alpine/high pass trip is on my list, I think I'll 'favourite' this one for some future tips!

Have you thought about tweaking the pegs on your Breva? I've swapped the bars and pegs on my 1200 (Mana bars and Buell pegs) and I no longer suffer from thigh cramps and nasty pains between the shoulders even on back to back long days..... I realise your 750 is a different layout, but it's just a thought.

Neil

I have swapped the pegs on the bike; 1 " lower. Also the rebuild saddle gives me 1,5" higher and 2" far back sitting position. Has worked well since I made the mods, but I may have turned more quirky over the years... :dry:

Mike.C said:
BTW, do you have to go down a gear when going up or is it up a gear when going down :cool: :lol:

Thanks;

No, the good advice is to go down in the same gear which took you up. :p :mrgreen:

Thanks for the report and pictures. Hope to ride there one day.
I won't get tired of Germany, since I'll probably only get there one more time.
Would like to spend 3 months in Europe touring on my motorcycle or a rented one.
If only retirement wouldn't keep moving out....

Back