• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

A Great Tire Kit for Guzzi Riders

Greg Field

Cruisin' Guzzisti
After trying everything from bicycle pumps to electric pumps to CO2, here's the tire kit I found to be the best and handiest for use on a Guzzi. It's got an engine pump, patches for tubes, plugs for tubeless tires, and the tools to insert the plugs. It all fits in a handy little bag that stows under the seat of my V11 or in the saddlebag of the Eldo. You could even shove it in a jacket pocket. It takes up 1/4 the room of the smallest electrical pump and weighs less than half. You can't ever run out of cartridges, though you can run out of plugs if you have a very bad day. Carry at least five.

The plugs it comes with are the sticky, rope-type plugs. These are far better than those mushroom plugs for use in any tire that has steel cords or belts. Why? Those cords will eventually cut right through the stem of the mushroom plugs, and the plugs'll get sucked into your tire, and the tire will go flat. This happened to me several times before I gave up on them. Best of all are the thicker, brown plugs made for car tires that you can get at any good auto-parts store. I buy these and throw them into the kit. The pic below shows one I installed when I got a flat 90 miles from home on the way back to the National.

PICT0069.jpg

Yes, I know the tire is worn out. The left side had been roasted 1500 miles ago, so I spent most of the way back hanging off the left side and leaning the bike right and riding any reverse road crown I could find to shift more of the wear to the right side of the tire in effort to nurse it home. Stupid? Probably. But it got me home, where I had a free cast-off plugged Pilot Road 2 waiting to be installed. I guess I'm cheap.

PICT0071.jpg

That metal end is the pump itself. Thread it into one spark plug hole. Once you start the bike, compression from the engine drives a piston in there to pump fresh air into the tire. Be sure to ground the unused plug and wire to the engine somewhere to prevent damage to your ignition.

PICT0070.jpg

The other end screws solidly onto the valve stem. After plugging your tire, start the bike, rev it a little, and the tire'll be up to pressure faster than you could ever believe. I think that little pump'd be able to seat a bead, if it had to.

These are available from any Parts Unlimited dealer. We have 'em at Moto Intl., if your local dealer does not stock them.

I have, & have used the engine air pump, happily, on my older Tontis. Seems to me the potential problem with it is on twin plugged bikes to prevent a spark from the inner plug. Not on my twin plugged by aftermarket T3, easy enough to pull the plug wire to the inside plug at the coil, at least where mounted on my bike below the steering head. Rather, on the newer twin plugged Guzzis, ie, Norge, Griso, Breva. We all know it's hell to get at the inner plugs & the plug leads to them. Is there an easier place to interrupt spark from the inner plugs on these? Aren't the coils on the Norge butied underneath all the tupperware? I was thinking about picking up the small electric pump made by the Slime people, Kiwi Dave showed me how easy it was to use while we were coming back from the Natioanl. Pretty small, too.

So, the kit shown contains everything mentioned?

I've wondered about the fate of a mushroom plug through steel mesh, but what I fail to see is how the mushroom head could be sucked into the tyre? Sucking implies a vacuum, not what I'd expect in an inflated tyre ;)

Back