• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

[A Little OT] Whats your Winter Hack ?

ParCan

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi All.

Whilst many of us live in the sunnier climates, equaly some of us have cooler / cold winters with Ice, Cold and Salt to contend with.

One thing the Guzzies do not do well with is the Salt. Here in the UK the salt is also mixed with sugar so that it spreads better over the roads, but also turns it in to a sticky corrosive mess that needs more than a cursary spray of watter to get rid of.

So - I was just wondering what you guys Do/Ride/Sit on/Drive for the Winter Months to save covering the Gizzi with all the Salt ?

I'll post my answer in a few days :)

ParCan

No salt here, but as it'll be down to about 26F (-3C) when I launch tomorrow, that qualifies for cold commuting even in a "sunnier clime," and I do that on my beloved '98 EV.

Just put H-B panniers on to replace the OEM leathers, and have lowers on the way.

EVOEMRack2.jpg

88K and has never run better.

Bill

As I usually say: the white stuff on the roads here deep south isn't snow. Its salt.
As days are short (I don't see well at dark), always rainy, stormy and just about 0*, black ice can be found just everywhere, I put her away for the winter.
This year I found a marvellous plastic bag at German Louis, as I haven't got a proper garage either.
Thats hibernation!

3036874251_185094fb02.jpg

I just learned that the roadholders will use the sugar/salt mixture here as well, claiming it's less corrosive, but most of all it has a lesser environment affect.

For the daily commuting I'll use the pushbike as usually. I got spiked tires for the winter.:)

I didn't do anything in particular last year, I kept riding as usual (mostly trips to and fro my gf's place in the backcountry), and a bigger highway trip to Avignon around xmas and a trip to the Netherlands in March. I must say I haven't really noticed any adverse effects, even if I didn't was the salt off meticulously after every ride. I monitored the CARC (easiest and probably the most fragile in face of corrosion?), but nothing to be seen there, and I got no feedback from my dealer either after the 10k km service in February. After my recent experience with the OEM battery, I'll also monitor that aspect a bit more closely.

Good info about the salt/sugar mixture, I'll try to get info on that here. But I have a strong impression that salt isn't much used here on the smaller roads I take, but sand instead (which may actually be the remains of the mud now covering them because of the beet harvest ;) )

What makes Guzzies more vulnerable to salt damage than other bikes?

RJVB wrote:
... (which may actually be the remains of the mud now covering them because of the beet harvest ;) )

What makes Guzzies more vulnerable to salt damage than other bikes?

Ahh! The beet harvest! The time of year when you drive in mud up to your knees, never exceeding 30 kmh because some cheapo farmer think the best way of road transporting always are done with his 1954 26 HP kerosene motored tractor! Well known, I can assure you!
Don't think Guzzis are more vulnerable than any other motorbike. Aluminum will corrode in its own charming way as the frame is exposed to rust. Sometimes I wonder how those frame tubes looks inside after 20 years... :huh:

I'm pretty sure I've seen the term "steel tubular frame", not aluminium... So where's the alu in a modern Guzzi, apart from in the wheels?

Aluminium corrodes under basic conditions, as opposed to (most) other metals which do it under acid conditions. Road salt isn't sodium-bicarbonate, so that should be OK, no?

Be warned.......That salt/molasses mix has an introduced an extra unforeseen road hazard........certain species of wildlife have developed a sweet tooth and can be found standing in the middle of the road licking the tarmac. Now this isn't too much of a problem when its squirrels and rabbits......it's the deer (and on the unfenced mountain/moorland roads sheep) that are likely to ruin your day. They're like infant sugar junkies and nothing will stop them getting their fix!

RJVB wrote:
I'm pretty sure I've seen the term "steel tubular frame", not aluminium... So where's the alu in a modern Guzzi, apart from in the wheels?

Aluminium corrodes under basic conditions, as opposed to (most) other metals which do it under acid conditions. Road salt isn't sodium-bicarbonate, so that should be OK, no?

Aluminimum? Motor, CARC (or back swing to some of us), rims, just to mention some. If you'd seen the rims of the happily sold Beemer, you should have known. Or the brake calipers on any of my cars...... Salt will bite, and bite haaaaard!
Frame just a small part, isn't it? :laugh:

Well here in the home of Moto International (Pacific Northwet), we don't salt the roads - if it snows (rarely) in the lowlands, the powers that be usually throw a little dirt on it and wait for it to melt. As for winter riding, I just ride the Norge on decent days.

Hi,i have this wee honda for winter but if it's nice i'll still use the Breva,if it's real bad i use the car:dry:
Cheers all
Cliffy. . Bearing in mind i live on the Isle of Man! How wet?,how windy? :dry:

Cliffy, jpeg and jpg images are supposed to be the same, just a question of file extension, which you can change easily by renaming the file.

Well after 5 years my £50.00 honda C90 has finally died.
The salt got to the Rear subframe and rotted through close to the shock mounts.

So i wanted somethig to replace it. brief was somethign along the lines of:

Cheap - max £1000 on the raod.
Ridable / Drivable on a UK Bike License.
Weather protection a Bonus.
Max required speed - 50 MPH
2 seats.
luggage capacity a bonus.

So what did i come up with ?

Think I've seen those around here too. Looks like fun.

More so than the little (almost vertical) coffins so many elderly (and people with confiscated licenses) ride around in :silly:

Lol Parcan, nice computor generated, pc correct transport.
I have a reliable Honda ST1100, which at the moment is about as useless as a chocolate tea bag

Back