• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

A noob Moto Guzzi drive shaft question

Runner130

Just got it firing!
Hi all,

I am for first time encountering Moto Guzzi. Currently I have stripped everything down, will pain chassis.
A stupid question, when I was dissembling drive shaft from engine there is a rubber connection connecting drive shaft and engine. When I disconnected it there was no oil in it but when I carried it back end of drive shaft was facing down and approx 1 dcl of oil came out of it. Should oil be there or not :)?

IMG 20220104 WA0005

The rubber part you show is the drive shaft boot. It is there to prevent water and dirt from entering the assembly. There should be no oil there. As to the other end, the rear drive vents to the drive shaft housing part of the swing arm. It is not unusual to find oil there. Oil at that location may indicate the rear drive was over filled, or the output seal of the gear box is leaking. A gearbox leak would also see a film of oil inside the drive shaft boot. It helps to till us what model bike you are working on, but the swing arm picture gave it away as a Tonti frame bike.

Thanks John, it is T5 850 1984 model. Yes, my main question is where it came from. Funny enough there was no single drop on the ground just when I dissembled it from the gearbox. When I have everything down I would like to change what is necessary.
When I disconnected the drive shaft from the rim part it was also covered with oil, but strange oil more like little bit of of oil together with water

And seal from the gearbox looks like not letting any oil, not even after week a single drop IMG 20220103 WA0001

While you have it apart, replace every seal and o-ring that you can. You shouldn't need to replace the shift return spring as the T5 has the updated spring. So you are looking at engine rear main, Gearbox input seal and the o-rings under the hub bear. Gearbox output seal (it does look like it was leaking) and the o-ring on the clutch push rod and maybe the thrust bearing. Also the rubber seals on the clutch push rod. It helps to have the special tools to align the clutch plates and to get the gland nut of the input gear and the gearbox output nut. Some folks have impact sockets for some of these and it does make the job a little easier. Be careful with the gearbox output, there is a long spline groove on the output shaft and a small steel ball resides there to drive the speedometer gear. If you lose the ball it isn't fun. If you can get help from someone that has been in one of these to help you it will be even easier.

Back