Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

A Tire Thread

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by pokeyjoe, Oct 19, 2012.

1. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

I don't need any yet, but I want to be prepared (at least mentally) when the time comes. I've been looking around and so far I have found these:

Lasertec
    Metzeler ME880
    Pirelli Sport Demon
    Conti Go!
    Avon Roadriders
    Michelin Pilot Activ

These are the only ones I know of that you can buy as a matched set, front and rear. Lasertecs are pretty much crap. I'm running the Sport Demons and they really like to follow every little imperfection in the road, but are otherwise OK. The Avon's are rated well, but I don't know anything about them either.

Anyone know of any others or have any experience with the ones listed?

2. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

I have not ridden on the Metzler Lasers in a long time. Everyone seems to say they are crap now, I I don't know otherwise. But I do find it funny that once upon a time they were some of the best tires you could get.

3. oalvarez

oalvarez Tuned and Synch'ed

we went from the Metzelers to the Pirelli Demons (higher profile in the rear), but also at the same time that we changed out the suspension. what i do know is that the bike handled better after the change, and many around these parts blame the tires for the "wobbly" feeling at high speeds.

4. Perazzimx14

Perazzimx14 Cruisin' Guzzisti

General conus. is the Pirelli SD's are the bee's knees on the V7 line. I am happy with mine and see no need to change when the time comes.

5. makarushka

makarushka Cruisin' Guzzisti

Had all of these on my Thruxton except the Contis. IME the choice is between the Sport Demons or Aktivs. Sport Demons were stickier and gave half the life of Aktivs, which were a stellar tire with good grip and fantastic wet performance but less sporty. If you want to squeeze the last ounce of sport performance out of the bike, I'd recommend the Demons based on my experience. Aktivs, however, lasted me around 7K miles front and rear easily and had more to go; Demons I changed at 3K. I weigh 200lbs, for the reference.

A note about Avon Roadriders: it may be specific to the geometry of the Thruxton only BUT there have been a number of cases where they produced near-accident wobble on highway raingrooves. I have experienced this myself. Gave them a good few hundred miles before I returned them. Tires were great everywhere with nice turn-in but the moment I got on Richmond bridge here in the Bay Area -- which has massive raingrooves and is a part of my daily route -- I was saying prayers to get through it. All this said, no such complaints were registered from Bonnie owners; check the triumphrat forums if you are curious.

I also mentioned in another thread here about a radial combination from Avon in a non-stock size that fit the Thrux very well and MAY fit the V7 -- 110 front and 140 rear...

6. Carl Allison

Carl Allison Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

+1

7. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

That's not my experience and the point of this thread. My SDs have about a thousand miles on them, are always inflated to 32psi, and track every imperfection in the road. Seams in concrete parallel to the direction of travel can be very unnerving.

8. Paxo

Paxo Cruisin' Guzzisti

Are you running front and rear at the same pressures? Never heard of anyone doing that. Must feel like a flat tyre! I use Bridgestone BT45's at 33 psi front and 36 psi rear, which I suspect would be just about standard pressures for most brands of tyre suited to the V7's.

BTW I got rid of the Lazertecs asap as they caused annoying high frequency vibrations through the handlebars on certain road surfaces, and the sidewalls on the rear tyre had cracked after less than 1000 miles.

9. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

Yup. That's what it says in the manual. 32 front and rear or 36 in the rear with a passenger. I may bump up the rear just to try it, but that's going to do nothing for the front wheel tracking everything on the road.

10. Trout

Trout GT Reference

From my first Ambo in 1971 through all my T's I ran 32 psi F & R. Great handling good wear on all brands. My 2011 Cali feels like a hardtail harley 45 cube if the tires are over 34psi.

I just got a pair of Avon Roadmasters for the 2011 but it will be a few weeks before I put them on I'll try to remember to post once I do.

11. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Trout,

You aren't riding on the Ambassador tires from 1970 any more. The new tires do require more pressure because of their composition. The Cali should have 36 psi rear and 33 psi front. If the ride is harsh, it is because of the suspension. Motorcycle sidewalls need to be stiff and it is the tread area that flexes. Just the opposite of an automotive tire. All the low pressure will do is cause some premature tread wear from the excess heating of the tire.

12. Paxo

Paxo Cruisin' Guzzisti

Pokey, you must be all over the road like a drunk in a pub car park and shagging your tyres into the bargain. Your tyre dealer will be sending you cards at Christmas and on your birthday! Doesn't matter what tyres you have if the road surface is crap, you just have to learn to ride through it. Out of curiosity, how much bike riding have you actually done?

13. ARVENO

ARVENO Cruisin' Guzzisti

I run Metz. laser on my 1000 sp cafer , in my opinion they are still the best 18 inch tires you can get .
    Contis....i won't recommend them on my worst enemy....LOL !
    Michelin don't seem to have the same grip as Pirelli and Metz. , i feel they are "faster" on the turn but less grip though.
    Avon, they are good the first 1000 miles, then they loose grip and drive-ability
    On a wet surface,i only trust Metz and Pirelli ,

Of course this is just my experience, but a lot of guys i know have the same feedback on these tires....

About those who say Metz tires quality went south , maybe they just bump into a bad lot of tires, can happen... they sell thousands of tires a year.... i will keep buy them anyway....

M.

14. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

I'm not quite sure whether to be offended or not. 46 years.

15. Paxo

Paxo Cruisin' Guzzisti

Can't say whether you should be offended or not; wasn't intended that way. It was just from the type, tone and number of your posts I had you down as someone much younger.

16. nord

nord Just got it firing!

Hi!
    Just wondering...Is it okay too use tubes in radial tyres...?

17. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Some of the bigger name manufacturers make "radial tubes" which seem to just be thicker rubber. It has to do with additional heat generation in radials. That said, not sure if a "heavy duty" style tube is available (should be), I'd think that should work well. Otherwise, people put tubes in tubeless tires often. Always best to call/mail the manufacturer for their recommendation.

18. DaGoose

DaGoose Just got it firing!

I have been under the impression that in doing so , it drops the speed rating down one position. As in all tubeless.

19. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

That is also true.

20. nord

nord Just got it firing!

Ok,thanks.
    How do you think changing from bias ply to radial will change handlling..?.
    I ride a v7 racer.
    Thinking about maybe going from 100/90-18 to 100/80-18 front tyre to get a quicker steering.