• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

A Tire Thread

Thanks for the suggestions and advice. As John correctly noted, the leak is not through the valve stem, but around the base of it. So unfortunately the tube will have to come out. I just hope I don't need a new tire, as I only have about 1k miles on the bike.

I'm pretty sure this is something I can tackle myself. I acknowledge it will be a bit of a headache the first time but it's something I would like to be able to do instead of always going to a shop, which for me is not convenient and they aren't always very careful. It will take me longer but I can afford to be careful.

Jim

NWJ611 said:
Thanks for the suggestions and advice. As John correctly noted, the leak is not through the valve stem, but around the base of it. So unfortunately the tube will have to come out. I just hope I don't need a new tire, as I only have about 1k miles on the bike.

I'm pretty sure this is something I can tackle myself. I acknowledge it will be a bit of a headache the first time but it's something I would like to be able to do instead of always going to a shop, which for me is not convenient and they aren't always very careful. It will take me longer but I can afford to be careful.

Jim

In that case, mark the tire where the tube is. Once you find the hole/failure in the tube, lay the tube on the tire and locate the carcass area where the failure occurred. Check for any problem there on the inside of the tire. Make any needed repair to teh tire for example remove wire, smooth off the inside of the tire. Once this is done, do you have the equipment to balance the tire? This could become a case of penny wise and pound foolish.

Jim, on the off chance that you might be headed to the Tidewater area...I have a tire machine, a balancer, and cold beer. If you brought the wheel to Portsmouth we could get to the bottom of this problem. Since I also have a V7 Special it would be a good learning experience for me to mess with a tubed tire repair. The only other one I have done was on my G650GS and those rear rims are noted for being a real PITA to work on.

PM me if you want to delve into this.

Peter Y.

John,
Thanks again for the suggestions. As for balancing, it's really more of a convenience and learning experience for me than a money issue. I don't mind buying a $100 tire balancer. In the long run, it will pay off, but again, I'm not really doing it to save money.

Peter,
thanks for the offer. Message sent

Jim

I bet you will find the factory Pirelli tube is split at one of the seams. Mine split at 677 mile and I know of another local V7R rider that also had the same problem .

John,
Can you describe what makes that balancer better? It looks pretty much like all the others out there. Some cost $50, some $100, but to me they all look like the same basic design w/ just different paint and brand name.

Peter,
PM sent (I think i did it right this time!)

Perazzimx14,
I'm expecting to find the same thing. That would certainly explain the circumstances in which the flat occured.
I have a Metzeler tube ordered. Hopefully it will be better than the OEM Pirelli.

The No Mar units have the rod across the top. Rod length is unlimited. Some have the rollers lower in the verticals and the rod must be shorter. If you ever go to a CARC bike, you will need their large cone set http://www.nomartirechanger.com/product ... econes.htm which is on a threaded rod. If you buy one, you might as well get one that can do any wheel and not be limited.

Jim, got your PM but can't reply because you must have something blocked in your PM settings. To answer your questions; I have a NoMar tire machine and their balancer. I have probably changed a dozen tires so far so the machine has paid for itself. John Z mentioned needing the large cone if you go to a single side swingarm (CARC) bike. That's correct. I like the balancer because it's dead simple. Others make good units too so you can compare the features...they all come down to using low friction bearings and a really precise axle. As for the tire machine, there are lots of options there too. Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive machine that others seem to like. I had seen the NoMar demonstrated a few times and was sold on the solid construction, wide range of uses, simple design, and the fact that you probably won't damage your rims. At the time I was riding a Ducati with cast wheels so damage to the wheel was a real consideration. Finally, Redline (Yorktown, Va) is the closest dealer to me. There really aren't many choices in Virginia. Luckily the V7 is so simple that I have not needed dealer support. You can do all the normal service without any special tools. The ECU and TPS are not user servicable so it boils down to adjusting the valves and changing the fluids...both really easy.

Peter Y.
pyoungbl at aol dot com

OK I'll take a closer look at the Nomar now that I have a more enlightened idea of what to look for.

Thanks guys.

Sorry I haven't gotten around to providing an update. I finally had enough free time last weekend and was able to take care of this. The tube had a hole on the rim side, but not on a seam. Didn't find any sharp edges or obvious reasons for the failure. I guess it was either a defective tube or possibly it was damaged during installation and took awhile to manifest itself. Anyway, I was able to put in a new tube and put the tire back on. I'll admit, I now know why some of you tried to warn me about doing this myself. It wasn't easy getting that tire back on the rim. But I'm glad I did, and now I have the equipment to do it from now on. Incidentally, I decided to get a Bikemaster balancer. I'm pretty happy with it. The balancing was actually pretty enjoyable.

Thanks again for all the help.

Jim

Any other tire options for 2013 V7 Stone? Looking to maybe swap out eventually. Was checking out Avon tires but wanted opinions as to how these and other tires compare to the Pirelli Sport Demons on there now.

I believe the choices are somewhat limited by tire size.

By all reports (and my own experience) I'd say the Pirelli's are a huge leap over the Metzelers that used to come on the V7/B7 series.

However at around 5500 miles the rear Sport Demon on my Stone is almost completely wiped out.

I've heard reports on WG that Michelin Pilot Activs provide nearly as much stick, but should last longer, so I'm going to give one a try on the rear come spring.

I recently bought Bridgestone Battlax BT45 tires, in low profile sizes that aren't available elsewhere. For the V7 these tires come in 100/80-18 (front) and 130-70-17 (rear). You'll notice that this sizing has a shorter tire height, and you feel it on the bike. It lowers the whole machine.

Also, the rear tire is dual compound, which allows for longer mileage from the center strip, while edges offer grip and performance for cornering. The front is a standard single compound tire. Both are bias ply, tube tires.

sign216 said:
Also, the rear tire is dual compound, which allows for longer mileage from the center strip, while edges offer grip and performance for cornering. The front is a standard single compound tire. Both are bias ply, tube tires.

I've had good luck with BT 45s on the 750 Breva when we had one and my MK V LeMans. I believe BT 45s are tubeless tires (I ran them that way on the Breva and there are no tubes in my LeMans) but with spokes you must use tubes.

sign216 said:
I recently bought Bridgestone Battlax BT45 tires, in low profile sizes that aren't available elsewhere. For the V7 these tires come in 100/80-18 (front) and 130-70-17 (rear). You'll notice that this sizing has a shorter tire height, and you feel it on the bike. It lowers the whole machine.

INTERESTING - but you say "tube" tires??? Meaning I can't run them on the Stone without tubes? That would be a deal breaker for me. Unless you're saying they are actually tubeless, but like all tubeless tires you CAN and should use tubes when mounted on rims that require them?

Assuming I can get by the tube/tubeless thing - have you have much of a chance to try them out? Can you compare them to the Pirellis or something else?

http://www.bridgestone.com/products/mot ... /bt45.html

Bridgestone's website seems to suggest Tubeless:
BT-45 Rear

TIRE SIZE REC. RIM (inch) MEAS. RIM (inch) OD (mm) TW (mm)

130/90-16M/C 67H TL 3.00 2.50 - 3.50 636 132
110/90-17M/C 60H TL 2.50 2.15 - 3.00 630 110
120/80-17M/C 61H TL 2.75 2.15 - 3.00 624 121
130/70-17M/C 62H TL 3.50 3.00 - 4.00 617 136
130/80-17M/C 65H TT 3.00 2.50 - 3.50 638 131
130/80-17M/C 65H TL 3.00 2.50 - 3.50 638 131
140/70-17M/C 66H TL 4.00 3.50 - 4.50 627 145
150/70-17M/C 69H TL 4.00 3.50 - 4.50 641 149
4.00-18 64H TT 2.15 2.15 - 2.75 675 117
4.00-18 64H TL 2.15 2.15 - 3.00 675 117
110/80-18M/C 58H TL 2.50 2.15 - 3.00 633 110
110/90-18M/C 61H TL 2.50 2.15 - 3.00 655 110
120/80-18M/C 62H TL 2.75 2.15 - 3.00 654 120
130/70-18M/C 63H TL 3.50 3.00 - 4.00 637 128
140/70-18M/C 67H TL 4.00 3.50 - 4.50 652 145
150/70-18M/C 70H TL 4.00 3.50 - 4.50 668 149

Key

In fields of tire size, index of “TT” and “TL” shows as follows.
TT : Tube Type
TL : Tubless type

Kev,
Compared to the Mezlers they're fine. No experience with Pirellis on this machine. But this summer I did try Pirellis on a '65 Gilrea. They were OEM equipment, and only one held air, so the test didn't cover much ground.

I think the BT45s are tubeless tires, and people use tubes in them for the V7. Do they even make tube-only tires for street bikes anymore?

Joe

sign216 said:
Kev,
Compared to the Mezlers they're fine. No experience with Pirellis on this machine.

The Metzelers in this application are meh on a good day, the Pirellis are EXCELLENT (sticky and confidence inspiring).

I want the usual (everything), I don't want to give up much of the stick, but I definitely want more tire life. :laugh:

sign216 said:
I think the BT45s are tubeless tires, and people use tubes in them for the V7. Do they even make tube-only tires for street bikes anymore?

Joe

That's what I thought you meant, so people use tubes in them for the V7C or V7Racer/Special, but they are Tubeless design.

Oh, and yes, see specs I posted above, there IS a TubeType tire listed.

Back