• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

A week in Scotland

fatal

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I've just come back from a week touring north west Scotland and the islands of the Outer Hebrides. The weather was better than expected, the roads were mainly dry but it was very cold. Three of us were on Stelvios, two others were riding a HD Superglide and a Kawasaki ER650.
Our route north was mainly on back roads up through northwest england through Cumbria, via Kirkby Lonsdale, Sedburgh, Tebay, Langwathby, Lazonby, Brampton. Then into scotland on the A7 to Langholme where we picked up the excellent B709 through to Eskdalemuir and Innerleithen. There was plenty of snow laying about but the roads were clear. We stayed overnight in Edinburgh at the Travel Lodge in Belford Road, and had a cracking night out on the town.

Attachments

• toms open dayscicily scotland 057.JPG
    toms open dayscicily scotland 057.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 892
  • toms open dayscicily scotland 060.JPG
    toms open dayscicily scotland 060.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 892
I can second that.....I stay close to the Cairngorms National Park during the week and work in Aberdeen .... it's been COLD..... trip back to Newcastle was equally bloody cold... How does the hand-gaurds work on the Stelvio?? Wind-chill is a pig with rubbish gloves...

A week in Scotland paert 2

Sunday morning we left Edinburgh for our overnight stop at the Woodbine Guest House in Uig on the Isle of Skye. We went via Callander, Crianlarig, Tyndrum, Rannoch Mor, Glencoe, Fort William, Spean Bridge and Kyle of Lochalsh and the impressive Skye bridge.
On monday morning our ferry to the isle of North Uist was delayed for a few hours, we arrived at the Lochmaddy Hotel about 5.30pm, but we still had time for a quick ride around the northern part of the island. We discovered some sinister looking military installations and quaint crofters huts.

Attachments

• toms open dayscicily scotland 061.JPG
    toms open dayscicily scotland 061.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 869
  • toms open dayscicily scotland 063.JPG
    toms open dayscicily scotland 063.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 869
  • toms open dayscicily scotland 067.JPG
    toms open dayscicily scotland 067.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 869
  • toms open dayscicily scotland 073.JPG
    toms open dayscicily scotland 073.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 869
A week in Scotland part 3

Tuesday morning was dry and sunny but still cold (4*centi) We headed south to Benbecula and south Uist crossing to these islands by connecting causeways. These islands are windswept by atlantic gales and there are few trees, and many small lakes and ponds. We got the afternoon ferry to the isle of Harris (home of the famous tweed) this island had some fantastic beaches that would not have looked out of place in the carribbean. Harris is connected to Lewis by a causeway, and we travelled north to the town of Stornoway for our accommodation at the Hebridean Guest House. We found an excellent Thai restaurant opposite the police station, but they have no alcohol liscence so take your own booze.

Attachments

• toms open dayscicily scotland 075.JPG
    toms open dayscicily scotland 075.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 859
  • toms open dayscicily scotland 077.JPG
    toms open dayscicily scotland 077.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 859
  • toms open dayscicily scotland 079.JPG
    toms open dayscicily scotland 079.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 859
  • toms open dayscicily scotland 082.JPG
    toms open dayscicily scotland 082.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 859
A week in Scotland part 4

Wednesday was again dry, sunny and cold. Our ferry to the mainland at Ullapool wasn't until the early afternoon so we had a ride around the top part of the Isle of Lewis. We visited the ancient standing stones and the light house at the Butt of Lewis. WE found a whales jawbone with a harpoon mounted through it in what seemed to be someones front garden, however they didn't bother about us cheekily going in to photograph it. The fery ride to ullapool was eventful, at first one of the engines failed and caught fire so we had to proceed slowly on just one, then the boat was buzzed acouple of times by RAF Tornado fighter bombers...awesome! We arrived later than scheduled in Ullapool and stayed at the Riverside guest house our digs for the next two nights. Ullapool is a lovely but busy fishing and ferry port. There are plenty of good pubs and restaurants to choose.

Attachments

• toms open dayscicily scotland 083.JPG
    toms open dayscicily scotland 083.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 856
  • toms open dayscicily scotland 084.JPG
    toms open dayscicily scotland 084.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 856
  • toms open dayscicily scotland 085.JPG
    toms open dayscicily scotland 085.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 856
  • toms open dayscicily scotland 086.JPG
    toms open dayscicily scotland 086.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 856
I've got heated grips so no cold hands for me. Although I don't think the Motoguzzi heated grips are as good as the ones I had on my old BMW GS1150

A week in Scotland part 5

Thursday was our day trip out from Ullapool. We went north via the coastal road by Lochinver and Drumbeg, the weather was again good and the roads dry. The traffic is minimal in this part of the country, the roads have good surfaces and you can see for good long distances. Needless to say speed limits were stretched a little :) We foloowed the coast north through Scourie and to Tongue when we headed south to Altnaharra where we stopped for afternoon tea at the hunting lodge. A very posh place but we were made very welcome in the lounge despite our bulky and grubby biker winter clothes. The views on this route were fantastic and the north west coastal road has to be on of my favourites. After tea we headed south to Larig then cut north back to Ullapool to enjoy yet another night on the 'pop' :)

Attachments

• toms open dayscicily scotland 092.JPG
    toms open dayscicily scotland 092.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 855
  • toms open dayscicily scotland 099.JPG
    toms open dayscicily scotland 099.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 855
  • toms open dayscicily scotland 096.JPG
    toms open dayscicily scotland 096.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 855
A week in scotland part 6

Friday saw us leave Ullapool for our return to Edinburgh. It was lovely morning but again I had to have the heated grips on. We travelled south east to Inverness, to Nairn, Grantown on Spey into the Whisky country, passing places where some of my favorite drams come from, such as Aberlour.
We then headed into the Cairngorm mountains and the sky got darker, there was a possibility of snow. We passed throught ski resorts of the Lecht and Glenshee, with many skiers still enjoying the late ski season here. As we drew nearer to Perth and Edinburgh the rain started but thankfully it was light and was definately better than having to cope with snow. Our overnight sleep was again at the Travel Lodge, but first we had a most excellent curry at the Indian restaurant just down the road from the home of our travelling companions Mike and Christine.
Saturday had me, Mel(NTX stelvio) and Rob (Harley Superglide) going south to England via the excellent B709, then on to the bikers cafe at St Marys Loch, then into Moffat and travelling down the old A74 road that runs almost paralell to the M74. This old road is almost devoid of traffic, speed cameras and cops :) and a good pace can be maintained. We passed Gretna Green, then onto Carlisle then down the A6 as far as Carnforth in north Lancashire, then onto the M6 for the last 40 miles to home and a heroes welcome off the wife.....well not exactly but the dog was glad to see me :lol:

Attachments

• toms open dayscicily scotland 100.JPG
    toms open dayscicily scotland 100.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 859
  • toms open dayscicily scotland 102.JPG
    toms open dayscicily scotland 102.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 859
  • toms open dayscicily scotland 104.JPG
    toms open dayscicily scotland 104.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 859
  • toms open dayscicily scotland 105.JPG
    toms open dayscicily scotland 105.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 859
My current bike has oxford heated grips.... I have warm palm's and frozen finger tips and back of hands!! I can honoustly say they are of very little use......will get the hand gaurds and heated gloves soon

Fatal, thanks for posting all of your pics/words.

fatal said:
I've just come back from a week touring north west Scotland...

Terrific! I'm planning to ride Ireland in a month, or so, and have looked at extending into Scotland. But, I think it'll have to wait for another trip. Perhaps next spring. Thanks for your photographs.

Back