• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

about to be new owner

fatal

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I've fell in love with a black stelvio at my local dealers, and have been offered a great deal to change. The only thing bugging me is this cam and followers problem. does it affect all bikes?
When I quized the dealer they didn't seem to know much about it. I realise the bike will have 2 years warrnty but I believe in prevention rather than cure.
Is there a list of engine numbers affected?

fatal wrote:
When I quized the dealer they didn't seem to know much about it. I realise the bike will have 2 years warrnty but I believe in prevention rather than cure.
Is there a list of engine numbers affected?

'Dealer is an ignoramus who doesn't want to sell you a machine, only take your money! Run away to a real dealer.

All the 8V's up until very recently are subject to the 'Technical Update':blink: which is weasel words for a recall. Unless this machine is 'Fresh off the boat' it's probably due for it and it SHOULD be done before it is ridden.

It's not a large or arduous job. If it is too much of a challenge for the 'Technician' involved do you really want him servicing your bike????

Your choice of course, I love the 8V motor but I'm not overly keen on the Stelvio, but that's your decision...

Pete

Hey Pete,
They are all subject to the Cam Recall. I picked my Stelvio up in March and when they ran my vin number it was comming fine. When I went to the dealer to get my first service done they ran the Vin again and it showed the recall. There was a bad batch of Cam Shafts and Follower, not all of them have the problem but to make sure they decided to call all of them in for the Recall. Don't let that discourage you if you like the Bike. I felt the same way and someone assured me it's no big deal. The Bike is Awesome! You will love it. Go for it, you won't regret it.

Gigio

pete roper wrote:
I'm not overly keen on the Stelvio,[/quote]
:blink:
This coming from a person riding a bike that is the color of a frog. :p

Fatal, if the think the dealers technician is up to it (or you get a great deal, as I did). Ask the dealer to investigate.
If they can't find out that there IS an update quickly, you may want to move on.

My cams/tappets were replaced a couple of weeks back. Zero wear.
There was an issue with parts being soft. I suspect it was just some bikes. But Guzzi isn't waiting for more to fail and they are stepping up to the issue by replace 100% of the parts. Most companies would wait and only fix it if it fails.

Hi Gang

It's true the 8v has suffered from cam problems, it does now seem to be sorted:)
I would say though these are fairly old tech engines compared to the Jap stuff, they need proper mechanics to work on them.
It's no good if your dealer is not up to the job.
You would be advised to buy only from a MG dealer who knows the score, not some bit of a kid who just plugs in the Axone and prays.
I believe the Stelvio to be a great ride.
Dont listen to the hipe or reviews go ride it to find out for yourself:)

Loftyjohn

Wayne Orwig wrote:
pete roper wrote:
I'm not overly keen on the Stelvio,
:blink:
This coming from a person riding a bike that is the color of a frog. :p

Fatal, if the think the dealers technician is up to it (or you get a great deal, as I did). Ask the dealer to investigate.
If they can't find out that there IS an update quickly, you may want to move on.

My cams/tappets were replaced a couple of weeks back. Zero wear.
There was an issue with parts being soft. I suspect it was just some bikes. But Guzzi isn't waiting for more to fail and they are stepping up to the issue by replace 100% of the parts. Most companies would wait and only fix it if it fails.[/quote]

Bravo Wayne for stepping up to defend, OK I'll say it the dreaded Piaggio word, a lot are still mired in the past and if anyone cannot see the improvement in Bikes, parts supply and brand exposure in the last couple of years have blinders on.Ive put my money where my mouth is and decided like you to be NOT part of the problem:laugh: by buying 2 new bikes in that time frame. Sure there are still Warts always will be just like other brands. Bows as he steps off the soap box.

pete roper wrote:
I'm not overly keen on the Stelvio,

So how many Stelvio's are in Aus now then ?

The 8v engine is the only common part with the stelvio and Griso, so you dont like the Griso.... or you dont like Red ?

I dont particularily like Holdens..........never driven one or seen one, get my point.

Shall we keep this on topic?

Fatal: getting a great exchange deal at your local dealer is ... great, but I'd second the advice given. If he can't figure out quickly/easily that there's a recall, he can probably not be relied upon to service the bike (and I don't see how that would be any different with a jap bike!). However, you could research the possibilities to have the service taken care of by another, more reputable dealer at a reasonable distance from you. Warranty ought to work at any official dealer's anyway.

If you want one, buy one!
Just make sure the recall work has been done satisfactorily :)

Thanks for the replies, I have spoken with the service manager and he is on the ball, he is aware of the 4v motor issue and told me they had recently done the update on a griso, and that parts kits are readily available (would seem that the salesman i spoke to wasn't particularly well informed)

Excellent, then we shall look forward to seeing the pics of you and your new bike! :) :woohoo:

Back