• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

About to buy a LM1, help with identification

Chris Doskocil

Just got it firing!
I have owned several Guzzis but never an early LeMans. The closest was a CX100. I'm looking at a bike that might be an early LeMans. The title calls it a 1976 model. The motor # is VE 071818. There is a tag on the steering head stamped 071818. This frame # does not show up on any ID lists I have been able to find. Would a different # be stamped in the frame? Was the frame tag something installed on US models?

I'm new to this site. I've done searches to see if this has been addressed in another thread but did not come up with any results. I know there are plenty of T models wearing LeMans body work or V7 body work. I actually owned a very nice T-3 set up like a V7 Sport and enjoyed it. I did not misrepresent my T3 as a V7 when selling it but I know some of that goes on.

The seller on this LeMans is an honest guy. He is just as confused as I am about the ID issues.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Nice that the frame and engine serial number match. Also the head stock may have a tag with month and year of manufacture. I suggest contacting Moto Guzzi North America and ask them about the serial number.

The tag does have a MFG date area. I can't see the date clearly. I'll have to take a closer look, maybe put my phone up under the headlight to take a photo so I can make it out. I can barely make out the VIN on the tag but enough to see that it matches the engine.

Is the frame tag something that would have been installed for bikes exported to the US market?

US market Guzzis of that period had a VIN tag and no number stamped into the frame. The "ID lists" you're finding are likely for European delivery models, thus the different numbering.

The bottom line is, it is a cool bike and worth buying. It is the wrong color. An enthusiast decided to paint it to his liking. He spent a lot of money having it done but it should be red. I'll have to get it painted.

The bottom line is, it is a cool bike and worth buying. It is the wrong color. An enthusiast decided to paint it to his liking. He spent a lot of money having it done but it should be red. I'll have to get it painted.

Red wasn't the only color for the US - the was also "Ice Blue" metallic. White was available in Europe.

I have owned several Guzzis but never an early LeMans. The closest was a CX100. I'm looking at a bike that might be an early LeMans. The title calls it a 1976 model. The motor # is VE 071818. There is a tag on the steering head stamped 071818. This frame # does not show up on any ID lists I have been able to find. Would a different # be stamped in the frame? Was the frame tag something installed on US models?

I'm new to this site. I've done searches to see if this has been addressed in another thread but did not come up with any results. I know there are plenty of T models wearing LeMans body work or V7 body work. I actually owned a very nice T-3 set up like a V7 Sport and enjoyed it. I did not misrepresent my T3 as a V7 when selling it but I know some of that goes on.

The seller on this LeMans is an honest guy. He is just as confused as I am about the ID issues.

Thanks in advance for the help.

The title is correct. It’s a late year 76. I have 071967 which was titled as a 77 though it has the round taillight and details specific to a 76. Approximately 2000 bikes ‘series1’ were produced. A friend of mine has 070007 which was built in 75, titled as a 76. Most bikes built up to fall 76 are titled as 76. The bikes produced after that were ‘transition’ bikes and some were titled 76, some 77.

US bikes use the engine number on the title with a vin plate stamped with that matching number and production year and month.

Last edited:
Back