Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - we've been proud to harbor such wonderful Guzzisti camaraderie since 2005, for FREE. Times have changed, and so have the attitudes and expectations of far too many. Starting Jan 1, 2020, we will likely be shifting to a pay to participate format. You will still be able to read for free. This should alleviate all of the opinionated negativity that the free social media channels have created. If you are a donor or customer of ours, you're in, just use the Contact tab above if your account is not already promoted, or you can Upgrade your account once signed in. Or the Donate tab above is another option. We look forward to continuing this service to the Guzzi community, but it is not cheap or easy to host and maintain. We wish you the best for the Holidays and in the New Year.

ABS kicking in over ridges

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by TheDarkLord, Jul 19, 2019.

1. TheDarkLord

TheDarkLord Just got it firing!

Just wondering if this is happening to anyone else. Over here in the UK, our roads are pretty rubbish with lots of pot holes and ridges; mix in the 'not the best' front shocks on our V7iii and I keep getting a situation where I'm braking, hit a ridge and because the front wheel is off the ground for a nano second, the wheel must lock and the ABS kicks in so there is a time with no braking when the wheel comes down again... :eek: Most disconcerting!

Am I going to have to spend money getting an upgraded front spring kit or is it just our crap UK roads?

Might be because I've lowered my forks a bit?

2. Bill Hagan

Bill Hagan GT Reference GT Famiglia

Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
    I wonder if what you are experiencing is not the ABS, suspension, or forks setup, but TC,

I recently had my V7 III on a rock-strewn, washboard, potholed "road" near Nowhere, Pa.

Here, if anyone cares:

[​IMG]

What I get for believing GPS instead of using my eyes and common sense!

Anyway, here's the best it got:

[​IMG]

For the first mile of uphill, bumpy, jumpy nastiness, my Stornellian companion and I were both going nuts trying to figure out what was going on. Almost seemed as if our clutches were slipping. Maddening.

Then, we realized it was the TC. Yes, we are slow learners.

Turned it off, and bingo, all was well.

For decent roads, I keep it on; otherwise, off it goes.

Let us know if this is your issue, too.

Best,

Bill

3. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

what setting are you in. 2 is worthless most run it in 1 where there is only interference when it's needed. directions buried in the owners manual.

4. TheDarkLord

TC is set to 1. You approach a roundabout, start to brake and when you hit the ridge across the road (bloody British roads!), the front skips slightly and when the wheel touches down again, there is no braking for a short time even though you still applying pressure to the lever. Like it senses the wheel has stopped for a fraction (thinks it's slipping?) and releases the pressure on the disc... You then think, blimey! I'm going straight over but then the brakes work again.

Just annoying!

5. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

I suspect you have 2 choices, turn off the T/C or slow down.

6. Bill Hagan

Yes.

I do not think this is an ABS issue, but one of TC.

I don’t ride slower. Just turn off TC. :giggle:

7. Trout

Trout GT Reference

Why I don't like "Nanny Electronics".

8. TheDarkLord

It happens at 20 mph, I’m not talking high speed, even if it is the TC, surely it shouldn’t happen on a modern bike, hey ho

9. Bill Hagan

I think vagrant and I were teasing about speed.

My own perplexing encounter with the occasional downside of TC -- again, this is NOT, IMO, an ABS issue at all -- was at even lower speeds than 20 mph.

And, hey, this is an internet forum, so we'll always disagree on something :giggle:, but it would never happen on an "unmodern" motorcycle, but only a modern one, and the experience, would, I think be the same on any marque.

My brother's 2016 Ducati MultiStrada does the same thing in the same way.

If this is -- as it surely sounds that way -- a continuing maddening matter on the roads you routinely travel, disable the TC. When set at "0," I'll bet you will find that the problem disappears.

Best from the top of Virginia.

Bill