Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

ABS stopped, service light after fog light install.

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by north2south, Sep 16, 2020.

1. north2south

north2south Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

After installing my OEM fog lights I took my 2014 custom for a night ride. All was good for the first 10 minutes. Then the SERVICE light came on with a couple ikons. The ABS stopped working front and rear. After pulling in the garage and shutting the bike off it would not restart. Just clicking.
    Any input on what this may be?

2. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT di Razza Pura

I would retrace your install & wiring, sounds like you may have blown a fuse or shorted out the sensor wires on your install. Not all OEM stuff works correctly. Sounds like you blew a main fuse. The ECU also knows the ABS doesn't work. Was your battery dead? or just not firing the engine? I think Todd has a wiring schematic in the down loads section.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  3. stephenm

stephenm Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

These are the symptoms for the battery going flat. DAMHIK

Stephen

4. north2south

It was running at 11.8 volts when I fired it up this morning. Shut it off and then it wouldn't start a second time. On a charger all day. I checked the relay on the new fog lamps, made sure its connected well as well as any other wires I may have disrupted. Why would the new lamps drain the battery? The 40 amp fuse under the seat had a bit of plastic melted on one of the legs. The slot for the fuse was a bit melted. I cleaned it up and put it back in. The system ran at 13.8 volts with the newly charged battery. I turned the high beams and the fog lights on and it dropped to 13.1 volts. I turned the hazard lights on as well and it star dropped to 11.7 volts. I wiggled the 40amp fuse and it jumped back up to 13.4. The fuse was hot.
    As I read in another post, I will put an in-line fuse in. This should solve charging problem. I hope.
    Would the low voltage have caused the ABS to stop?
    I still need to clear the SERVICE readout.

5. Kevin.NZ

Kevin.NZ Cruisin' Guzzisti

A hot fuse holder is not good, it may have lost its spring tension in the holder causing a resistance, You may need to replace the holder.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  6. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Yes, happened to my Cali 1400 a few years ago. Took a long time to work out what the issue was. Cranked over fine.

7. Moto-Uno

Moto-Uno Cruisin' Guzzisti

north2south , have you read up on ridding yourself of the service icon ? Peter

8. north2south

I haven't read up on how to get rid of the service icon yet.
    I did purchase a big fuse holder and a mega 40 amp fuse to handle the heat. I will solder it in to the existing leads.
    How will the load be if I put a heated seat and handle bar grips on?

9. Kevin.NZ

Kevin.NZ Cruisin' Guzzisti

Whats the max wattage of the grips, the seat and all the other "stuff" coming off that 40A fuse. With the new fuse/holder it shouldn't get hot at all, the reason the old one got hot was there was a resistance across the holder, it should be zero.

V700Steve likes this.
  10. north2south

Thanks Kevin

11. Moto-Uno

Moto-Uno Cruisin' Guzzisti

And it might be worth mentioning that you can always add another fuse or circuit breaker to the system
    and reduce the current through the main fuse . The code to rid you of a service wrench icon is 34534 (IIRC). Peter

V700Steve likes this.
  12. north2south

Thanks Peter