• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Advice on Norge

Hinchy1964

Just got it firing!
Hi all

I have only just joined the forum. I could really do with some help on buying a bike.

I really like the looks of the Norge and it ticks most of the boxes for me

Relaxed riding style
Shaft drive
Comfy
Adequate storage
V twin :)
Etc........

Previous bikes wise I have gradually moved from sports and sport tourers to my last bike, KTM 990 Adv. This was to get me around Morroco and Western Saraha but has served it's purpose and I have sold it. I like the idea of the Norge because it seems a very laid back style which will suit my needs which are, general days out to bike races with my girl friend, a bit of commuting and a couple of weeks round Europe (I'm from UK by the way)

So I'm nearly ready to buy one but have limited funds which will get me a 2006 2v and having read lots of info I am just a little worried about some issues.

Suspension problems, wallowy ride, poor handling on bends.
I'm 15 stone and my girl friend is 11. She will string me up for telling you that. But combined weight plus luggage???

And

Vibration through the bars at cursing speeds

I am fine with other jiggles, narrow screen which can be replaced etc. But the two things above would not be so easy to sort out.

So to my questions. Are the problems as bad as some make out. Is there a fix for the suspension, spring upgrade? Thicker oil? Re-valve? Obviously MG are acknowledging it as the 2011 has new suspension

Has anyone experienced the vibration through the bars? Another fix on the 2011 so there must be some truth in it.

Please be honest folk as there's nothing worse than buying a bike you don't get on with.

By the way I am hoping to test ride one this weekend.

Thanks everyone

Ian

I have a 2007 Norge (build date Nov. 2006) and yes, the suspension is as you've described, but there are solutions and Todd here offers some outstanding ones.
I have not experienced excessive vibrations at cursing ;) or cruising speeds, but let's not forget that it is a twin.
Good luck with your choice.

Nick

Corsa Italiana in Surrey sell a heavy duty spring for the rear shock for £58 which should help stiffen up the back end. As far as I know there's no problem with the forks but heavier oil might help. Vibration thru' the bars isn't bad. Probably only noticeable to someone used to 4 cylinder smoothness and certainly not as bad as an old Brit twin!

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
I checked out a red one today and I'm definite now that this is my chosen weapon. Just need to find the one with my name on it.

The red is nice as is the black. I'm not sure about the silver though.

The ones I've narrowed it down to are:

2007 Silver 5500 miles. £5,999.00

2007 Red. 18,000 miles. £6,999.00

2009 Black 8,000 miles. £7,500.00

All same spec, 1 owner machines

Can anyone tell me if there were any changes made between 2007 and 2009?
About the rear spring, the sales man said the same about firming up with the stiffer spring but he said people don't complain so much about spongy ride but more about the centre stand grounding. Thats an easy fix, remove or modify. I wonder if the new stand on the 2011 would fit. MG have made it narrower and now secures inside of the mounting plates.

Does anyone know if the 2011 seat (seems much more comfy) would fit the pre 2011 model?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm sure we have all done it when considering our next steed.

Ian

The later heavier spring for the rear suspension will be a must, assuming the bike you get has not already been upgraded. It should be available from all Moto Guzzi dealers. I know Corsa have them in stock. http://www.corsaitaliana.com I weigh a bit over 11 stone, my wife under 8, and we have to have the back end wound right up when carrying luggage too. Mine is an 06 model.
Vibration can be bad if the two throttle bodies are not synchronised, but this is a relatively simple operation for any Guzzi dealer.
If you can get a later model, say mid to late 07 build, then you will get a few benefits, such as the heavier spring as standard. A few other little niggles had also been sorted out.
The red ones are faster so I'm told, but mine is silver and quite fast enough. ;)
Changes, yes access to the oil dip stick was improved, check it has the later push in one.
I think the new seat will fit, but remember that seat upholsterers are probably cheaper, and you would get something to fit you. But try the one fitted first of course.
Don't know about the new stand, but the easy mod is to cut down the rubber bump stop on the existing stand to a max of 5mm. This may already have been done on most S/H machines.

One last bit of advice, if you haven't tried a Guzzi out before, make sure you have a long test ride, as they grow on you. So many people have said their first impression was bad, but within an hour the grin was from ear to ear.

Ian

I had the front suspension on my Breva1100 sorted by by Gareth at ReactiveSuspension in York about 3 years ago - not too far from you. I know he had already done a Norge. I went for the cheaper option of new springs and let him choose the right oil, still don't know what springs/oil combo he used but the results were impressive - firm and controlled but comfortable still over crap roads... and much less brake dive which was my biggest gripe.

Its a made to measure service really - he checked the sag with me on the bike and then did his magic, just needed the bike a day or two.

I'm sure he said he had fitted cartridge emulators to the Norge if you fancy that route.

Good luck with the Norge

Art

Not advice as such but a 6000 mile report. I got myself a Norge last year and have the same issues that concern you. Vibes through the right bar give me pins and needles in my fingers after a while but I started getting that on my Breva 1100 as well in the last year I had it, so that makes me think that I might be the problem !! I got Helibars for the Norge but that hasn't helped and neither did getting the throttle bodies balanced. The one thing that does make a difference is the type of gloves I use. My thin summer ones are the worst (which makes sense) and the thicker the better. Thats OK until you get warm weather, so no problem in the UK then :S .

Regarding the centre stand grounding, I've played around with the settings and even with full preload on the rear it was grounding last week when touring fully loaded, usually if you hit a bump on a bend. That was with panniers, top box and a tank bag and we are a bit lighter than you guys. Although it was registered last year, it's a late 2008 bike so I'm not sure if it's got the heavier spring on the shock (what's the difference ?). It's in for a service next week so I've asked them to take a look at it. I've also cut off about half the stand stop but could remove a bit more I think.

I've also noticed that the end of the side stand has touched down, not sure if that was me as it's an ex-demo. It was badly set up to start with though, almost full preload on the front and hardly any at the rear !!

I hope that doesn't put you off, it's a good tourer.

Phil

Back