• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

After market exhaust

No word here on how most customers 'forget' to put in the cat ;) (maybe it's not in the muffler on the Stelvio?).

The Lambda modulator idea seems a clever one, esp. if you get a dial to twiddle with. I wonder if that would make it possible to adjust idle revs?

Homologation probably isn't an issue for you, but I'd negotiate anyway to receive the certificate once they get it (if indeed you order 'early').

It does come with a clever little fiddly bit that fits under the seat to adjust the injection ratio. Unfortunately to install it requires removing the fuel tank to install though I guess it could be done at the same time as the recall as that involves replacement of the cams and the cam followers some of which it seems were not properly hardened.

Unfortunately my dealer doesn't seem keen to do it and its a bit beyond my wrench skills, he also said it would void my warranty so the lambda sensor is gonna be left out for now. I'll post an update when the exhaust is fitted as to how it affects performance.

Bigtex,
did you change anything hells to have a good carburation? Mistral told me that we have to ride about 150/180miles and the lambda detects the change of exhaust and adjust automatickly the carburation. Is that truth? Is it easy to fix the Mistral? 5 kilos less is very good. Did you see a diference in the consume of gasoline?
The italian brand EXAN is making exhausts for Stelvio. Same prices than Mistral and Agostini but more models (Titanium, stainless, carbon). I am in a town (Santiago de Chile) with a lot of dust so I can't change the air filter.
Next week I'll go to Argentina for 4 days, great to cross the Andes mountains with the glaciars!!! My bike is in the Guzzi recall. I hope to come back to Chile without problem. I rided 9000km safe, I need 1500 more, just 1500 please:(

Similar topic to another thread here on the ECU... yes, the OEM 5AM ECU system is capable of self-adjusting the fueling at low-speed throttling all by itself, however, the fueling is quite lean for an air-cooled engine in the closed-loop area.

I bought into Rapidbike nearly three years ago, and set up to be a dealer. After less then a half year, the (then) U.S. importer TechnoResearch ditched them, handing the operations over to a company in Colorado, which promptly pulled the plug as well since the products didn't do as promised, and there was *no* product support here in the U.S.
NOW, perhaps this has all changed... and if so, good. I'd be curious to learn more on how well their 02-(sensor-offset) modulator works. However, "sensor offset" technology that "fools" the ECU isn't reliable or good, and will certainly throw a flag on the ECU in due time. Bet on it. Dynojet abandoned such technology back in '99 after a very short-lived run.

Dynojet's Power Commander III has led the way in reliable fuel manipulation, and they are just ironing out the kinks on their sensor-controller for the 5AM; So it really makes me skeptical of the others. Note "sensor-controller" as Dynojet's PC-V will be incorporating a far more accurate "wide band" lamdba for tuning via the PC-V, and "sending" different data to the ECU via their controller; two separate independent circuits.
I have been twisting Dynojet's arm as much as I am able to right now to get the Guzzi PC-V done, problem is, there are a LOT of important (read big money making) projects to be done first (noting that the Guzzi unit is shared with Ducati and most of the Euro injected scooters as well). Injected ATVs and dirt-bikes still currently lead the sales charts here in the U.S., by a LONG shot.

Within the last few days, I have been in touch with a company that has seemingly been able to "hack" into the 5AM, and they offer a myriad of software/hardware bits that supposedly can "talk/read/write/manipulate" data on the 5AM, however it comes with a *VERY* hefty price tag. I will be exploring it further in the next few days, and will post on the main Tech section when/if I discover anything worth mentioning.

Roadkingcustom wrote:
Bigtex,
did you change anything to have a good carburation?(

I haven't changed anything other than the exhaust. I don't detect any negative ride qualities nor do I see any great benefits - that's my seat of the pants assessment, no dyno work. I will keep it on the basis of looks, weight, and sound.

I apparently had the first unit in to the states, and in addition to the baffle problem I also had fit problem. The connecting pipes left the can a little too low, about an inch. I just made up a larger bracket. I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem, so apparently it was just a quality control issue.

I have only put about 100 miles on it so far with the Mistral, and the fuel mileage appears to still be utter crap - about 30 miles to the US gallon, same as before. I would be delighted if it improved over time.

Hi Bigtex,

thanks a lot for all this information. So i'll dont't expect more power and above all more torque from my Mistral exhaust. Exan as a very nice one made by titanium with a carbon end, looks great!!! I ask them especifications (graphics of torque and power, weight and pricing) to compare. No answer yet.

FYI, the oval exhaust sold by Agostini is in fact made by Exan. Do you have a link to their catalog, Gilles? (Dang, I'll be peeved if I find I could have the same model in titanium ... although the Agostini signature is worth a thing too B) )

Here is the link: http://www.exan.it/guzzi_listino_silenziatori_omologati.asp we can see options for the Stelvio. But if you entre in www.exan.it you will not find the Stelvio. Ma que catso fai Exan? I have not answer from them yet. I sent a second e-mail today. Are you sure that Exan is producing for Agostini? Rare.

Yes, I'm sure. The producer is mentioned on the homologation sheet ...

I don't think it's rare. Agostinis are a dealer. They may be involved in the design process (just as well as they could just be re-branding), but I really doubt that they have the facilities to do chain production.

It your fault guys, you said the mistral was too LOUD. So I didn't buy that ebay mistral race can on ebay. I got an Email from mistal which contradicts earlier posts. Buy a racing can and it has no stamps and no db eater, output 90decibels. Road version has a stamp and db eater output 80db, remove the db eater and its 90db. I got my mot soon so I didn't want to fail on noise. Save up for a crossover on my b11.

If you are in the UK, your pipes would have to be very loud to fail an MOT. It is now down to the testers discretion if the pipes are not E marked- if you trickle in slowly to the testing station at tickover you probably won't have an issue. Then again, if you scream in, braking at the last minute and revving the nuts off it he may take offence.

No Stelvio is due for an MOT for another couple of years anyway and it only takes 15 mins to refit the standard pipe if you are a worrier.

Nel, here is the mail I received from Mistral today about racing exhaust with DB Killer:

Ciao Gilles

all model have db-killer removable.,racing or homologated

Ciao ciao Micheli

I am waiting for my Exan exhaust coming directly from the fabric in Italy. Hope to enjoy it at the end of April.

Hi guys,

after 300km with my new titanium Exan exhaust I can say that I feel some more power (4 cv at the rear wheel says Exan) but I don't feel more torque!!! The motorcycle lost 5,6 kg with that change. I like the nose, not unconfortable. Just a little noisy during acceleration, just what I wanted. I didn't see difference of gasoline consume, fortunately!!!
If you are interested, infoexan@exan.it the contact is Luana. We had good discount for buying severals exhausts.
Bye

Can you show a pic with the can on the bike? The one in the pic above seems a right-hand model. To be honest, I don't like the kind of cap they put on, but maybe it doesn't interfere with looks once on the bike.

Re: consumption: try riding exactly as you did before, the extra poneys should then increase your mileage a bit. I got an almost 10% gain that way, once my ECU had adapted to the Agostini pipe.

Here is the pic. The consumption is higher in town (15%) but the same than before on other kind of roads. Perahps the ECU doesn't yet modificate its values.

If you upload a pic to the forum server, you have to click on the "IMG" button next the upload form, otherwise the image ends up on the server, but your post never asks to show it...

Strange. It's in town that I see the biggest difference. I can now sometimes be in 5th at 50km/h, and 4th is perfectly smooth. Used to be jerky before. That means that on long avenues or in country towns, my instantaneous conso can remain under 6l/100km, which is quite better than it used to be.
I haven't compared while riding in Paris, though...

I also noticed in the beginning that it was easier to slow-stall the engine (revs dropping under about 800tpm), but I seem to have adapted to that.

Hi guys,
I have ask for an help to Todd to put the pics online.
I have a "problem" with my new Exan exhaust. I already ride about 400 km with it. During decelerations the exhaust produces many detonations. I thought that the computer was going to manage this change. Do I have to go to my dealer to reprogram the injection?
Thanks for your help.

GilesExanExh1.jpg

GilesExanExh2.jpg

Roadkingcustom wrote:
I have ask for an help to Todd to put the pics online.
I have a "problem" with my new Exan exhaust. I already ride about 400 km with it. During decelerations the exhaust produces many detonations. I thought that the computer was going to manage this change. Do I have to go to my dealer to reprogram the injection
Pics aded above.
If you have Variant Map 2 uploaded to your ECU by your dealer, there isn't much you can do right now. I will be posting information on a ECU upgrade this week.

While I'm at it, I should add the photo of my slip-on to this thread. Click on photo below for more info/pricing and/or see seperate thread here on this Forum for GT-Sx slip-on:

Thank's Todd for the pics and the tchnical advice. I will see with my dealer about the maping. I hope to find a solution. If not I sell my exhaust. I feel more power at lower revolution but not more torque, perhaps less torque!!! I hope the new maping will change my engine positively. I'll tell you.

Bye everyone.

Back