Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

agip 10w60

Discussion in 'Griso-Bella Chat & Tech' started by duc, Mar 29, 2013.

1. duc

duc Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Not wanting to start the ugly oil thread,just a simple question.
    Does anyone know or have in writing the actual zinc phos content of agip 4t 10w60 or Iride as it is called now?

2. Steak

Steak Cruisin' Guzzisti

There is MSDS data sheet available here in an Excel file:

MSDS - RACING SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL, SAE 10W-60.xls

3. duc

Steve,thanks for the info had seen this on agips web sight but
    maybe i am a little dense.Can't equate this to the usual standard
    of parts per million so cannot compare to other oils like mobil 1,or redline.
    Thanks much
    Mell/duc

4. Steak

Steak Cruisin' Guzzisti

Well, the amounts are listed as percentages, so if you can figure the millions of parts per litre, then you will have your answer. :ugeek:

5. duc

Thanks Steve I think maybe the decimal point may be in the wrong place but looks like zddp total 2600ppm zinc alone possibly 1200 ppm.
    Thanks Mell/Duc

6. duc

For those interested I had a virgin sample agip 10w60 tested at polaris labs in Duluth Ga.Zinc1234ppm not too bad Phos a little low at 1004ppm.Had 4ppm of alum.Not sure this is a good thing.
    Will try to post complete report soon.
    Mell/Duc

7. fatal

fatal Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Hey guys, I been looking into this subject because Agip is hard to get here, and I know a lot of modern oils have been reducing levels of zddp and phosphorus because of catalytic converters.
    I read somewhere that Agip is around 1200ppm, and the absolute reccommended minimum level for good protection is 1000ppm.
    There's an american website I've looked at 'bob is the oil guy' that has a lot of information on this.

8. leafman60

leafman60 Cruisin' Guzzisti

9. uzidzit

uzidzit Cruisin' Guzzisti

too bad mobile 1 is a group 3 dino based oil and not a synthetic.

10. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

11. Petrov

Petrov Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Well since already discussing oil, I live in the Rust Belt/Great lakes region so my bike hibernates 6-7 months out of the year.
    So bike only runs at 50f degrees and higher weather wise. Would using 20w-60 oil be acceptable?

12. uzidzit

uzidzit Cruisin' Guzzisti

it is not a 100% pao based group 4 oil, it is a highly refined group3 which is allowed to be advertised as synth in the USA only. it does perform better than standard cracked dinos, but it does not have the heat tolerance of true group 4. (mobil made this chage quietly a few years back) only the 8v motors really need the group 4 oils but they do need them, they run generally cool but have some nasty hot spots. (very very hot at the exhaust valves, and the plug temps are sky high with factory fueling) I have been watching head temps a while on 3 8v motors before the stelvio crapped the clutch, but still watching the griso and sport. Not saying agip is best I do not use it all the time, but the mobil 20w-50 is subpar for the 8v. there are plenty that meet all specs. that are group4

13. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Very interesting that they can call it fully synthetic in the US, but not elsewhere. Good information to have.

14. abbienormal

abbienormal High Miler GT Famiglia

I believe Castrol was the one who sued to call their Syntec oil a synthetic though it also is from Dino. Not positive on this but I remember reading something about it. I also live in the rust belt, NE Ohio, and am debating going to the Amsoil 20-50 I ran in the Norge with no problem or staying with the 10-60.

15. ett

ett Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I believe it was actually Mobile who sued Castrol.
    Castrol introduced a Group III oil that was refined through a hydrogen catalyst.
    So Castrol called, labeled, marketed this oil as Synthetic.
    Since Group III oils come from crude petroleum and are not made in a lab; Mobile sued Castrol.
    The Federal Trade Commission sided with Castrol. So in the USA; many Group III oils are now being labeled as synthetic.

16. klaas123

klaas123 Cruisin' Guzzisti