RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, ALERT FOR Store purchases - riding season is here, so we know everyone wants it yesterday. However, lead times are long and many things are sold out or back-ordered, and there isn't much we can do to rush anything. Always best to buy off Season when things are in stock. Also, there are many seasonal holidays this time of year, both here and in Europe (particularly the Italian August Holiday month), so please be patient! We aren't Amazon. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. Please note GuzziTech and the GTM Store is largely a ONE man operation. Requests for phone calls will be deleted. We are online only. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE OR JUST disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. Thanks for your understanding and support.
  2. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

Air cleaner.... Ugggggggggg

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by roadventure, Feb 20, 2017.

1. roadventure

roadventure High Miler GT Famiglia

I changed the air cleaner on my 2014 California for the first time today at around 15500 miles on the odometer. What a huge PITA! For an item that needs to be changed on a regular basis it is a major production to remove and replace. I am sure I could design a top-load access that would take no more than 2 minutes to change. Why in the world MG decided to use an air box design that requires removal of both side panels, battery cover, battery, relays and misc other electrical parts is beyond me. On the bright side the original OEM air cleaner appeared to not even need replacing... :mad:

James Chance likes this.
  2. Tuono

Tuono Tuned and Synch'ed

Remove battery and cover yes, but not the side panels or relays etc.

3. roadventure

On my California I did need to remove the side covers and relays to access the lower air box retaining clips. Maybe if I had smaller hands with longer fingers that would not be the case. ;)

4. Tuono

Tuono Tuned and Synch'ed

My hands wouldn't fit either so I used a screwdriver to unclip the lower air box retaining clips.

5. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

I just remove the side covers and use a (Ullman SW-10 - one of my favorites, on Amazon or eq) hook tool (below) to pop off and re-install the clips. No need to remove anything else. Agreed it is a poor/annoying design.

IMG_0219.JPG

6. roadventure

What bothers me is that it would be SO PAINFULLY EASY to make the design a top load arrangement if designed that way from inception.

James Chance, John L and GT-Rx® like this.
  7. roadventure

Nice! Looks like another great tool buying opportunity. Thanks!

8. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque High Miler GT Famiglia

Moto Guzzi is like every other vehicle builder out there. There is very little margin on the sale of a new motorcycle, especially when there are dealers who are content selling for a few hundred dollars over their invoice price. So, the manufacturer realizes that their dealer network has to survive, so they have to make a living, hence they design machines which are not user friendly but rather practically require the services of a dealer due to the complexity now of what was once simple events. This is why I bailed on BMW and Ducati. If I had to pay for another damn near $1,000 service I was going to kill somebody. That is precisely the reason I bought my Stelvio in 2012 and why I refuse to pull the trigger on an Eldorado even though I really like the looks of the bike. I refuse to be married to a dealer service bay. I do all of my own work and have for several decades now.

9. WroomWroom

WroomWroom Tuned and Synch'ed

I'm doing almost all work on my Touring 1400 and I basically learned motorcycle servicing essentials on that bike. I think you won't have any problems with Eldorado if you have a couple decades of experience on your belt. PDFs with technical details of all parts and systems are available, along with the service manual which is indispensable and extremely useful IMO.

scottmastrocinque likes this.
  10. LuftWolf

LuftWolf Tuned and Synch'ed

I do my own maintenance as well, especially since the closest dealer is 160 miles away. As far as the OEM Service Manual goes... basically it's madding. If there are 8 steps involved you are lucky to see 2 of them. The illustrations are very deceiving as in the case of replacting the air filter which shows the air box with the battery & electronics removed. I now document each task I do with pictures & the tools I end up using to accomplish it. The next time is about 80% quicker.

Making Mechanics Out of Riders Sm.jpg .

11. Mike Tryon

Mike Tryon Just got it firing!

Yes, the design could have been more user friendly. I can't say I subscribe to the "Keep dealers employed" model of why things are the way they are. I must admit I am little surprised to see this much grumbling about something this simple. I for one enjoy the time spent doing maintenance on my bikes. The only things I have taken my bike in for was warranty work on a Temp sensor issue and having new tires put on rims. I wanted to watch the final drive disassembly, I had a feeling there was a trick to that plastic piece and wanted to see it done first. Taking out the battery and a side panel or two gives one the opportunity to clean out any dirt that accumulated, or to just spend some quality time with the bike while the snow melts.

Harry H likes this.
  12. north2south

north2south Just got it firing! GT Contributor

Would it not be easier to remove the air box completely and install an air filter like the one on GTM01?

BCarnage likes this.
  13. stephenm

stephenm Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I have done the 1400 air cleaner on my 2013 Touring a few times now. I have endured the poor access and contorted fingers, the maddeningly fickle clips. Last week, I tried a new approach. (I didn't find taking the side covers off to be much use). I practised sliding the rear tail of the clips into their grooves until I got a feel for how they sat when in the correct position. I removed the two upper clips, and the lower clip on the bike's left side. I was able to set the filter cover into place after a few tries without dislodging the right side clip, then locked that clip. The two top clips are easy. The left side clip required me to use my left hand, while facing the rear of the bike. Because I had practised, I was able to 'feel' the clip into its groove, then lock it down. No fallen or lost clips, 5 minutes, job done. This was an hour and 25 minutes less than previously.

Stephen

John L likes this.
  14. PaulDavies

PaulDavies Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Site Contributor!

Gave up on the two side clips after struggling for literally 2 hours to put them back in place as every attempt lead to them dropping off somewhere inaccessible. I used all the tools at my disposal. Took the side panels and the ancillaries off, for better access and still no joy. I think my fingers are too fat and too short. I now just wedge some small dense foam pieces between battery and airbox lid - time to remove and replace - 2secs:D:D

I'm sure many of us have seen the German guy and his Youtube videos for the Cali 1400. They are very good (if only I spoke German) and there's several of them. This one in particular shows the guy wrestling with the airbox lid like the rest of us from 10:15 onwards. Remember this guy probably practiced lots before making this video

15. jbhotchkiss

jbhotchkiss Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

My thoughts exactly, which is why I DID remove the air box completely. See my Airbox Elimination post. Fun winter project.

16. whatthe

whatthe Just got it firing! GT Contributor

after reading all the messages I decided to take a look at the air box. Totally agree on the difficult scale so I also went with just the top clips and high density foam stuffed between the battery and air box cover it seems like it will seal well thanks Paul for the tip.

17. groundhog105

groundhog105 Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Did you get your fueling fixed with Todd? If so how has it worked out.

18. jbhotchkiss

Not yet, but going for a ride sometime in the next few days - then will send Todd my map and see what he says.

19. groundhog105

groundhog105 Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Please keep me posted. I’m very interested in how this works out.

20. jbhotchkiss

Will do - I am very interested in how this works out as well?;)