• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Air cooled engines

Mark111 said:
Who cares?
I'm happy with my air/oil cooled engine and will keep it for the long term but who knows what might capture my interest in future years.
If they build a water cooled engine and you don't like it, don't buy it.
Everyone can make their own decision if and when they put one in to production, I will wait until the future technology arrives and evaluate it on it's merits before I make any decisions.

Mark

Errr? Yes.

Also what makes a liquid cooled bike more expensive to design and produce Sandy? The castings ar a LOT simpler and can be made lighter. The only added 'Complexity' is that it needs a radiator, a fluid impeller and a Thermostat and fans. A bit like the Norge 8V really.......

Pete

pete roper said:
Errr? Yes.

Also what makes a liquid cooled bike more expensive to design and produce Sandy? The castings ar a LOT simpler and can be made lighter. The only added 'Complexity' is that it needs a radiator, a fluid impeller and a Thermostat and fans. A bit like the Norge 8V really.......

Pete

Indeed, and there are also the costs involved in development which are not insignificant to a low volume producer like Moto Guzzi.
We do know that Guzzi are indeed developing a liquid cooled engine, which I doubt they would be doing unless they felt they had too.
I see this has been discussed before.

https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/167/6030.html

I think one of the principle reasons for water cooling is noise reduction so as to conform with increasingly tighter regulations; remember the number of rubber buffers they used to have to put between two stroke cylinder cooling fins. Better machining tools and practices mean tighter manufacturing tolerances and water cooling provides a stable working temperature for consistent performance. I love my V7 Classic but it wouldn't be my first choice for constant use in heavy traffic, in some situations water cooling is better.

I don’t mind water cooled Guzzi engine as long as they retain the cooling fins on the cylinder and head even it serve no meaningful function but purely aesthetic purposes (Yes, I am superficial). Also, please hide away all the hoses and radiator.

I can’t help relating it to a featherless Mandello Aquila… :mrgreen:

Phang

d7115f2e533cc8bcf91823021f4ba6a2_L.jpg
161591_100000309208970_3136534_n.jpg

ghezzi said:
afuldeck, I luv ya signature!
I tow bikes for a living, IMHO the modern day EFI bikes face a lot more reliability issues, even a battery a little low on voltage is enough to halt proceedings. Failed regulator/rectifier/stators are common place as electrical systems are overloaded and most (Jap) bikes use a battery too small for the task at hand.

Roll on technology, it keeps me employed. :D

Oh, and wait until you have to replace a cam chain or stator on ya CX500 :silly:

Thanks.

On EFI issue, I think some of the early 4 Jap bike had undersized their alternators which have cause problems when farkles were added. Most of the EFI issues I've seen in the guzzi world have more to do with the smart key technology, which IMHO need to be eliminated....

afulldeck said:
Oh, and wait until you have to replace a cam chain or stator on ya CX500 :silly:...

Yep, been there, done that.
Any worse than changing the clutch on a Guzzi do you think :lol:

sandy said:
afulldeck said:
Oh, and wait until you have to replace a cam chain or stator on ya CX500 :silly:...

Yep, been there, done that.
Any worse than changing the clutch on a Guzzi do you think :lol:

I don't know .... how does this look....

You got to love a challenge... :lol:

Attachments

• IMG-20111015-00043.jpg
    IMG-20111015-00043.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG-20111015-00045.jpg
    IMG-20111015-00045.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 465
With the trans still attached to the frame, it appears it would make for more challenge.

Cleatusj said:
With the trans still attached to the frame, it appears it would make for more challenge.

It got pulled as well. However, at the point I took the picture, I was trying what to see if I could remove the engine without removing the transmission. I had heard a rumor (strong) it was possible, but I found out otherwise. I just didn't have the space to remove the engine. I needed another 1/2" or so..... :woohoo:

afulldeck said:
Agreed. Water cooling hardly makes the bike complex. Just wait until you have to replace the clutch in your guzzi....now that is a job an a half.... :lol:

Er yeah.
See what you mean
:eek:

Swapping outa clutch or replacing thr rear mainseal looks daunting but really it isn't. Certainly any of the models with big fairings like a Norge or covered in bling and bags like a Calvin make the job more time consuming but as long as you are methodical its pretty straightforward. The biggest thing is to not try and cut corners. There are amazing numbers of people who will go to any lengths and make a job ten times more arduous simply to avaoud taking out a couple of extra bolts. That way lies madness!! :D If it doesn't come of, or out, easily you are missing something or doing something wrong. Stop. Take a break and a deep breath, step away and come back tomorrow. You'lll be a lot more likely to see the sollution staring you in the face and a lot less likely to break something!

Pete

pete roper said:
If it doesn't come of, or out, easily you are missing something or doing something wrong. Stop. Take a break and a deep breath, step away and come back tomorrow. You'lll be a lot more likely to see the sollution staring you in the face and a lot less likely to break something!

Indeed - been there, done that. Or rather, took it to a professional, only to see him break it or get out the heavy gear (pedal bikes ... ) :blush:

pete roper said:
Swapping outa clutch or replacing thr rear mainseal looks daunting but really it isn't. Certainly any of the models with big fairings like a Norge or covered in bling and bags like a Calvin make the job more time consuming but as long as you are methodical its pretty straightforward. The biggest thing is to not try and cut corners. There are amazing numbers of people who will go to any lengths and make a job ten times more arduous simply to avaoud taking out a couple of extra bolts. That way lies madness!! :D If it doesn't come of, or out, easily you are missing something or doing something wrong. Stop. Take a break and a deep breath, step away and come back tomorrow. You'lll be a lot more likely to see the sollution staring you in the face and a lot less likely to break something!

Pete

Agreed! The pictures above was from the very first guzzi clutch job I have done and yes it was a Norge. It took me some time to figure out the how, but it wasn't that hard. In fact, I would do it again without hesitation.

I think this whole thing came about when someone commented that there are certain jobs (like replacing the stator), on a CX500 that are very labour intensive.
Well as we see here, Guzzi's don't escape the bullet on that score.

sandy said:
I think this whole thing came about when someone commented that there are certain jobs (like replacing the stator), on a CX500 that are very labour intensive.
Well as we see here, Guzzi's don't escape the bullet on that score.

I personally think that working on the bike, makes riding fun...

Afulldeck.

I just noticed your signature

"Moto Guzzi - Making mechanics out of motorcycle riders since 1921!" :S

I don't think thats the biggest compliment you could pay them, and I certainly don't think they'll steal that idea for their advertising logo

:shock:

sandy said:
Afulldeck.

I just noticed your signature

"Moto Guzzi - Making mechanics out of motorcycle riders since 1921!" :S

I don't think thats the biggest compliment you could pay them, and I certainly don't think they'll steal that idea for their advertising logo

:shock:

True and True.

But, when Piaggo finally fixes the dealership and support models I will no longer need to be "the" mechanic and I will be able to change my signature. Until then, I will demand reciprocity! :D So Piaggo needs to have a sense of humor because I certainly needed one with my Norge. :blink:

Lifes too short not to smile at problems. Life too short not to poke fun of companies that ought to be better to their clients.... besides I'm Canadian and we love irony... :mrgreen:

Deck
Like you Canadians we (Australians) also generally have a light hearted view of life and enjoy poking fun at ourselves and authority figures such as big companies, We understand the context of your comments unlike some others without an insight in to self deprecation who might take you seriously.
The whole bike experience is supposed to be fun even working on them, although I would rather ride than do the spannerwork.

Mark

Back