• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Air cooled engines

When Guzzi and Harley go to water cooking there will be no more air cooled bikes. So it really doesn't matter whether you like water cooled or air. You'll get water cooled or you'll get a used bike.

I've owned both and prefer water cooled for winter riding because they warm up so much faster, but nothing beats the look of an air cooled engine, hanging out in the breeze. That's what a motorcycle should look like IMHO.

schimenator said:
I've owned both and prefer water cooled for winter riding because they warm up so much faster

Not sure I really appreciate the paradox or pun ...! :p

RJVB said:
schimenator said:
I've owned both and prefer water cooled for winter riding because they warm up so much faster

Not sure I really appreciate the paradox or pun ...! :p

Think Oz!

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi.....

Mark111 said:
The whole bike experience is supposed to be fun even working on them, although I would rather ride than do the spannerwork. Mark

I've never considered working on a bike fun.
More of a chore

afulldeck said:
I personally think that working on the bike, makes riding fun...

So I'm riding along and feel my clutch slipping.
I think, Hurrah, can't wait to get home and get that engine out.
Oh Joy !!!
:eek:

So I'm riding along and feel my clutch slipping.
Oh Joy !!!

Sandy,
I'm puzzled by this discussion.
If you don't like to work on bikes then DON’T, pay someone else to do it.

I'm not unique, there are many people who do like to work on mechanical things, bikes, cars etc. and derive pleasure from diagnosing and solving a problem that has developed, a bit like life really.
I can entirely understand that there are people who loath the experience of doing mechanical work, that is why there are mechanics who make a living out of the trade.
I hate gardening and I would gladly pay someone to do it if I could afford it as I have many better things to do such as surfing, riding my bike, playing football or any of a dozen other things I enjoy.
I do however know many people who love the experience and derive great pleasure from nurturing and developing their gardens, I don't understand it but I have no problem with people enjoying it.
As a final point one of the reasons I do work on my bike and cars is so I don't experience the annoying situation of something going wrong.
I can say that apart from a few minor instances my vehicles have rarely ever let me down and usually when they have I have had the knowledge to be able to fix them without to much drama due to the experience gained by working on them.
Oh by the way I fixed the slipping clutch when I was out riding and didn’t have to wait until I got home, I workd out it was a simple adjustment issue.
Maybe it is where I am from but I'm sure the glass is half full.

We are now miles off the original topic so I will leave it at that.

Mark

"So I'm riding along and feel my clutch slipping.
Oh Joy !!!
:eek:"

Now that's funny!

For the most part I enjoy fixing my own bikes. I really enjoy not having to.

Mark111 said:
Sandy,
I'm puzzled by this discussion.

And I'm puzzled by this :?

Mark111 said:
If you don't like to work on bikes then DON’T, pay someone else to do it..

:?

All I said was that I don't derive any pleasure from doing mechanical work, and I'm being grilled for it.

Mark111 said:
I do however know many people who love the experience and derive great pleasure from nurturing and developing their gardens, I don't understand it but I have no problem with people enjoying it.

Exactly my point, so should I be judged simply because I don't enjoy spannering.
I don't have any problem with people enjoying it though, just as in your gardening analogy.
Did I say anywhere that I did ?
Sorry but your response is also puzzling.

:roll:

Most modern internal combustion engines are cooled by a closed circuit carrying liquid coolant through channels in the engine block and cylinder head, where the coolant absorbs heat, to a heat exchanger or radiator where the coolant releases heat into the air. Thus, while they are ultimately cooled by air, because of the liquid-coolant circuit they are known as water-cooled. In contrast, heat generated by an air-cooled engine is released directly into the air. Typically this is facilitated with metal fins covering the outside of the cylinders which increase the surface area that air can act on.

If you look at using oil to cool the motor instead of water the results are promising. The 50/50% water/coolant mix does not transfer heat much better than a good ester based synthetic oil. In fact, I am not sure why more companies don't use the oil based technology. There is some significant difference about the way oil flows through a radiator compared to water that I don't understand, but oil is still a viable cooling medium. My understanding is that a full water cooling jacket around the entire combustion chamber and cylinder significantly reduces noise levels. I don't think that exhaust emissions are the primary reason for water cooling.

My views are, after the mk1 and the SP then the cali carb, then the injected, the Centauro, the Norge. All were a little different from the other re styling and improvements. I feel the water cooled version will be an expression of art like most of their new models, being italian, and the extra complexity will be easy to get over and live with for most of us do it ourselves entheiuasits.

Back