Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Air filter

Discussion in 'Griso-Bella Chat & Tech' started by rustyrotor, Jul 22, 2009.

1. klaas123

klaas123 Cruisin' Guzzisti

Yes, it will seal 100%, don't worry.

2. rguzz

rguzz Tuned and Synch'ed

Will look forward to receiving airbox lid conversion as part of the total fuelling solution offered by Todd. I assume its included, is it??
    Robert H.

3. klaas123

No, it can be bought seperately, just contact Todd.

4. rebus

rebus Cruisin' Guzzisti

"K&N AL-1004 seems to be offered as a alternative to the 373/01 - BMC so might be worth a look at ?"

Having had one of these waiting for me on the door step tonight when i came home from work, i can definitely confirm IT DOESN'T FIT !!! :(

5. klaas123

Very strange rebus, here is an other site advertising the AL-1004 for our Griso:
    AL-1004

6. rebus

rebus Cruisin' Guzzisti

I agree Klaas, i have seen it too and even cross referenced as a alternative to the 373/01 - BMC.
    But it wont fit It's base is larger than the stock filter, it also has a lip for sealing rather than the flat base of the original so there's no way the plastic hold down bracket will fit into place before you fit the air box cover.

I might try a little Stanley Knife surgery a little automotive permanently flexible silicone and ditch the air box cover all together (what's the worse that can happen :woohoo: )

Stu

7. klaas123

Thanks for the info Stu, much appriciated as I was about to order one.
    The question remaining is will it fit with Todd's CNC open lid?

Another question is how much better is the airflow through the K&N compared to the stock paper filter?

8. rebus

rebus Cruisin' Guzzisti

According to K&N they claim an air flow rate of 441CFM compared to 319CFM on a stock paper filter
    , how much real world difference this will make i don't know. I'm just keen on the idea of never having to replace it, with all it needing is a quick clean periodically.

As for Todd's lid i really cant answer that one

Stu

9. YBFAST

YBFAST Cruisin' Guzzisti

Not meaning to hijack a thread... but this seems to apply to all of us. Opening up air flow to the filter is likely to show greater gain than replacing the filter IMHO ;)

That being said: I went filter shopping for the Griso after waiting WAY too long. I was assured the K&N filter I was buying would fit. Ahhh - not!
    So I made it work :p
    photos following

This is the filter I bought (right width, way too long)

10. YBFAST

YBFAST Cruisin' Guzzisti

Of course, the air box has plenty of room in it for a longer filter, however, I did not want air coming under the rear seal area allowing unfiltered air into the system.

I fixed this by using epoxy and a piece of plastic shim to add a new sealing face for the filter to the back of the air box

11. YBFAST

YBFAST Cruisin' Guzzisti

I then realized there was nothing in the cover to hold the extra length down firmly to the new shim (the filter Could flip a little upward, allowing dirty air in) :(

OK... more epoxy and shims on both sides of the cover will hold it down firmly :)

12. YBFAST

YBFAST Cruisin' Guzzisti

And the finished product ;) Not as nice as the GT cnc machined replacement box cover... but it works well for the time being, and sound kind of cool too :silly:

13. Greg Field

Greg Field Cruisin' Guzzisti

That paper filter supplies enough air to get nearly 130hp out of an RSV Mille. It is unlikely to be the restriction in the system for a 70-hp Griso, or even a 90-hp 8V Griso. Nevertheless, I have fitted several of the K&Ns to Grisos, and the riders claim an improvement in midrange.

14. b!grizo

b!grizo Just got it firing!

I've replaced mine, with the K&N,
    and yes it didn't fit perfectly (needed some "scissoring" around),
    and yes some improvement in middle rpms.