• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Airbox Elimination

Hello......read this with great interest.
Researched and bought the UK options as UniFilter not readily available.
Managed to find a UK RamAir filter....got three different types and now have time booked on the dyno for next week

Don’t want to hyjack someone’s excellent thread but will list the EU and UK options

Thanks
Gavin
The Scottish Engineer
Will be interested to see the parts list required/available in the uk, currently running a modified airbox and bmc filter but it's a real pita to check the filter.

Morning to you,

I have 3 different RamAir filters all available via the usual UK based outlets and a length of alloy pipe.
On the dyno again today......hopefully...if not next week and will post the best ‘real world’ riding choice for parts to use.
I’ve been told that Air Flow maps will be sent with the Dyno results.......I will post when I have the results

Thanks

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Upload 2021 12 13 9 11 25

Hello............after playing about with the inlet to the throttle body and the RAMAIR filter. The most stable results for real world riding was no inlet tube....with the shortest filter bolted straight onto the throttle body ....and here is the result.

I hope that this helps..

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Last edited:
Following on....95.9 HPower and 88.8 Foot/pounds (ft-lbs) an uplift over stock figures of 80 and 74

Not as good a the GTM figures ....in fact a good 5-8 down on Todd’s .... but I can add the GTM PC and A/T at a later date. I already have the full GTM exhaust and Matris system....still 95 and 88 are not to be sniffed at and the 4000 to 6000 is exactly where I want it,.... from my limited resources

My bike only has 2750 miles on it and I want to get everything working as it should rather than working to emmission contol set by an EU Commissioner guy called 'Hans the controller!'

As a nation, the Scots never really liked rules and as an engineer...it just adds another mirror to the caged monkey....always looking for different way out,....this will do for now...thanks

So there you go....the part number for those of use over this side of the water is listed at the bottom ...no tubes, no reducers...just 1off Ramair filter and a pink bag to put all the plastic stuff in after youve taken it off!

BUT word of caution you will need to sort your your ECU......as you cannot just junk air boxes and change exhausts without fuelling mods.....and someone on here.... offers just that.......they are called GTM

Enjoy

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

RAMAIR 70mm Universal Performance Foam Race Intake Pod Air Filter

Item number:352081913442.......this is the Ebay item number

Last edited:
Follow on.......95.9 HPower and 88.8 Foot/pounds (ft-lbs)

Not as good a the GTM figures ....granted...... but I can opt to add the GTM PC and A/T at a later date. I already have the full GTM exhaust and Matris system....still 95 and 88 are not to be sniffed at and the 4000 to 6000 is exactly where I want it....not the wee dyno man.

The bike only has 2750 miles on it and I want to get everything working as it should rather than working to emmission contol set by an EU Commissioner guy called 'Hans the controller!'

As a nation, the Scots never really liked rules and as an engineer...it just adds another mirror to the caged monkey....always looking for another way out,....this will do for now...thanks

So there you go....the part number for those of use over this side of the water is listed at the bottom ...no tubes, no reducers...just 1off Ramair filter and a pink bag to put all the plastic stuff in after youve taken it off!

BUT word of caution you will need to sort your your ECU......as you cannot just junk air boxes and change exhausts without fuelling mods.....and someone on here.... offers just that!

Enjoy

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

RAMAIR 70mm Universal Performance Foam Race Intake Pod Air Filter

£19.61Unit price £19.61

Item number:352081913442.......this is the Ebay item number
Thanks for posting the info Gavin, very informative. I like the idea of no reducers etc. I already have the bmc air filter and airbox mod as well as Todds full 'fuelling kit' and remap. Any pics of the completed set up?.
cheers,
Ron

Ron.....absolutely no problem with some images, but I’m away until Monday next.
Once back...I snap away and up load

Thanks
Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

This is the best for power and related, as proven on the dyno.
The bike certainly flies Todd. You're fuelling 'kit' combined with the airbox mod have transformed it. Can't wait for better weather over here to fully appreciate the changes.

Hello............I have some images for you to view.
Please bear in mind I am neither trying to hijack a thread or recommend any products.

Uni Filter is a very difficult brand to get in the UK and the 20% uplift on all USA products ....due to UK tax...really stings.
I certainly noticed it on my GTM full exhaust purchase.....but hey ho....I am sure things will change when new trade agreements are made....hhmmm.

Anyway........RAMAIR and PIPERCROSS foam based filters are available and the chance of ditching the poorly designed panel filter housing made me do it.
Please get your fuelling sorted if you are going to attempt any airbox mod or exhaust change.

I have the excellent GTM long touring exhaust and I wanted a better engineering option that a 2 stage filtration POD filter allows......and removes the chance of a poorly located OEM panel filter with lost spring clips!

You will need a small oil catch tank...or a really big one if you overfill the engine!
Below you can the option I came up with........it leaves plenty of room for air and cooling.

We are all different........but this is my variation of the airbox elinantion.

A big thanks to the GUZZITECH Forum and JBHotchkiss who came up with the initial idea.
I hope this helps those who need it!

regards
Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

IMG 0218 IMG 0219

Last edited:
Good morning Peter

To answer your question is not easy .......I’m afraid

I changed the OEM exhaust and Panel Air Box at the same time allowing fuel set up on the limited time I had with access to the Dyno. Therefore, the changes made by the airbox and the GTM exhaust, really change the sound of the bike.......I cannot comment on just one change.

But my changes along with fuelling and suspension give me the California I really wanted.

I hope that this helps

Gavin

Last edited:
I am very interested in any further details from midnite or anyone else as to the details of this modification
eg:
fuel tank needs removed ?
length sufficient of factory hose ?
id of hose ?
note pcv enhancer is not currently available I may need to make my own as midnite did
any input appreciated
thank you

They are available commercially, but I really don't recommend this mod. That "catch can" must be vented, and is a real PITA to deal with. Unless you've removed your air box, I highly say leave in stock configuration.

They are available commercially, but I really don't recommend this mod. That "catch can" must be vented, and is a real PITA to deal with. Unless you've removed your air box, I highly say leave in stock configuration.
Thank you,
I really want to get the hose out of the airbox. You say the pcv enhancer is available ? Can you point me in the direction for it or can you help source it ? This evening I pulled the hose off of the airbox nipple and currently have it positioned along the left front down tube of the frame. the only thing that remains is to source a "catch can" . Your recommendation I respect it is just that in principal I do not want the oil mess in the airbox and the drain hose out of the airbox is brittle and broken half way up under the bike. In short I would rather do the mod as apposed to pulling the gas tank to put a new drain hose in the airbox.

I have a Hisun on my V7ii since many years. Small and easy to fit under the tank between the frame tubes. Many part numbers on the same thing.

18610-055-0000​

17120-104-0000​

17120-004-000​

I have a Hisun on my V7ii since many years. Small and easy to fit under the tank between the frame tubes. Many part numbers on the same thing.

18610-055-0000​

17120-104-0000​

17120-004-000​

Thank you, this looks like a simple easy solution. Which port would be for the hose coming from the engine and did you connect the other port back to the airbox or did you just allow that to breathe to atmosphere directly ? I would assume that the mounting orientation would be for the eyelet securement tab to be at the top ? very much appreciated

Again, be advised the stock air box system has this in place. Are you removing the air box then? If you keep the oil level towards the low mark, it will not oil the air box. This topic is well covered in this section. Search and read. ;)

Again, be advised the stock air box system has this in place. Are you removing the air box then? If you keep the oil level towards the low mark, it will not oil the air box. This topic is well covered in this section. Search and read. ;)
Thank you, Understood, I am not removing the air box. I saw in the parts list the stock blow-by air/oil separator housing and that the hose that terminates at the airbox is a vapor hose from that housing. Yes I have also read that keeping the oil level low is the solution. However I have found in life that it is always a good idea to design in a margin for error. To remove the tank which as I understand it requires the eagle badges be removed just to in turn remove the air box to change the broken drain hose seems as good a opportunity as any to add the second air / oil separator complete with its own drain hose. That said I could be wrong as I am always learning :)

Tank comes off without any hassle, same mounting system as majority of bikes.
As of airbox oil drain, I don't think it's worth start messing with oil catch thingies... All it'll do is will add unnecessary weight and complexity, just to save 10mins to drain them 2 drops once a month. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about innovating and modifying and spend lots of hours on things that have a bare minimal impact but even I wouldn't waste time on it LOL
I keep my oil level in a dead center between the marks and there's literary only 2-3 drops of oil per month'ish while me clocking in nearly 1K kms a month.
Thank you. Maybe I am making a mountain out of a mole hill :) I have been known to do that LOL . Would you mind clarifying specifically if the tank side panels with badge removal is actually necessary for the removal of the tank. I have asked the dealer and did not get to speak with the service tech but the parts man said the side panels do need to be removed but could not specifically state that there are fasteners under the panels or why they need to be removed. thanks again

I am now reconsidering removing the air box in my attempt to improve it would be very nice to increase the under seat space and simplify the air filter change process. Is there a air filter product that would be recommended to use in leu of the air box setup. thank you

Back