RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, Happy 2019! Note all of our products and custom bike builds are now on our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com. You may need a new username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. NOTE: We are not Amazon, we are a tiny one man operation. Thanks for your patience on orders. GuzziTech is now back to our origins; Enjoy the Guzzi Community Forum and Resources here. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx®) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine from 2000 until 2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work via our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our Seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

Aircooled Engines Overheat at Long Idle?

Discussion in 'Chat & Tech Info' started by Pspice, Mar 16, 2019 at 12:50 AM.

1. Pspice

Pspice Just got it firing! GT Site Contributor!

Hello forum,

Generally, do air cooled engines need to be turned off when idling for prolonged periods at stop? Especially cylinders inline with frame (essentially 90% of the other v-twin placement configurations)?

What about the Moto Guzzi V7i-ii (stock) or other larger Guzzi motors (Griso, Cali, Audace, etc)? Im sure ambient air temps matter but I really have no idea since the bike does not have an engine temp gauge (i know, no coolant).

I've contemplated if I need to shut my engine down when stopped at a red light.

Appreciate some wisdom and education!

Happy St Patty's Day weekend

2. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT Contributor

I don't think there is any need to be concerned about overheating unless it is in heavy traffic stops of more than traffic light times. One reason to use the 10/60, it sheds heat.
    If you are worried about the temp, they sell screw in temp gauges for dipstick.

3. vagrant

vagrant Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

A mag. (Mcn i think) Did an article years ago proving that at each firing of the cylinder the heat radiates out through the cylinder fins. When you shut it off the piston and cylinder cool at different speeds causing mini seizures of the piston. So don't shut it down unless it's going to be a long wait like for a train.

4. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

You do not need to shut off your engine at stop lights under normal circumstances. High heat days while sitting in traffic may cause overheating, where the motor will run poorly. Best to shut them off in that situation. The worst thing people do is to start and let them idle for extended times sitting still. Modern engine designs are best to start, and once the oil has begun circulating (for all of about 5 seconds), go.
    Those oil sump temp gauges Steve talks about above will scare you. Don’t do it. ;)
    That and most of the steel rod designs snap off and drop into the motor. I’m not a fan for both of those reasons.

5. Pspice

Thank you for the insights.

Very much appreciated.

6. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

7. Pspice

Thank you Todd. As a matter of fact, you installed one on my motorcycle not too long back.

I agree that the larger oil capacity and integrated fins help keep fluid temps from getting out of control and prolong oil change intervals.

No leaks! You and your staff's workmanship is great!

GT-Rx® likes this.