Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Airone flywheel key.

Discussion in 'MonoCylindrico' started by clive, May 10, 2018.

1. clive

clive Just got it firing!

Hi.

Whilst changing the clutch on my airone like a fool, for reasons unknown other than curiosity, I removed the primary gear from the crank.
    Unfortunately I didn't look at the flywheel key position before I took it out to remove the gear. By position I mean which way the chamfers on the key were positioned.
    The fact the key seems to go in with the chamfers positioned horizontally or vertical in relation to the keyway doesn't help. I also noticed the key has a punched dot in it.
    My question is - does the key go in with the chamfers on the horizontal plane, with the dot facing up, or are they positioned vertical?
    Sorry for such a dumb question.
    Thanks.

Clive

2. Mike Peavey

Mike Peavey Just got it firing! GT Contributor

Clive,
    Sounds like you've done what many of us has done, a friend refers to this as "let's take it apart to find out why it's working so good"...
    Anyway, prior to installing the small primary pinion gear on the crank, just try the key and see which way it fits snugly, normally, the rounded (chamfer) side into the slot works, but I don't think the position is critical, but it'll probably fit better in one direction. Once you figure this out, remove it, slide on the pinion gear with spring behind, depress it and insert the key.
    Here's the more important part, when you reinstall the clutch cover, the spring loaded pinion gear will try to hold the cover away from the case, DO NOT try to draw the cover down using the screws, you might get away with it a time or two, but eventually you'll strip the threads in the case. I have a small piece of plywood, just slightly bigger than the hole in the cover where the pinion gear is, with a hole in the plywood, the size of the crank, or at least smaller than the OD of the nut, then using an old flywheel nut, (or take your existing nut out of the flywheel), I spin the nut down drawing the cover down to the the case, then install the screws, then reinstall the flywheel.
    Good luck,
    Mike
    Boston

3. clive

clive Just got it firing!

Hi Mike.
    I've been messing with it again and I think I've got it sorted. I love tinkering with mechanical things. It all started years ago. I have three brothers and we are all into motorcycles having grown up with them. My father bought a Malaguti motorik junior bike for myself and my younger brother in about '72, '73- (I'd be 6 or 7 years old) and every time my younger brother rode it it would come back with either a puncture, broken chain or some other malady and I would set about fixing it. As the years progressed so did the bikes - and the maladies.

Anyway I digress. Thanks for the tip regarding the clutch cover, i'll rig up something similar.