RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, ALERT FOR Store purchases - riding season is here, so we are in the crazy times for orders. Lead times are long, so we can't do much to rush things. Always best to buy off Season when things are in stock. Also, there are many seasonal holidays this time of year, both here and in Europe (mainly August), so please be patient! We aren't Amazon. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and also, we aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. Please note GuzziTech is largely a ONE man operation. Requests for phone calls will be deleted. We are online only. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE OR JUST disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. Thanks for your understanding and support.
  2. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum; Be sure to try a search and/or post on the Forum before starting a new topic, and as a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. If you are posting on numerous sites on the web, please stop back and follow up. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GT products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our custom builds at GTMotoCycles.com or click the Service tab above.

Airone help

Discussion in 'MonoCylindrico' started by clive, Oct 23, 2018.

1. clive

clive Just got it firing!

Hi.
    I am the very proud owner of an early 50s' Airone sport. After a few teething problems after purchase I got it well sorted and it ran superb - so much so in fact I manage to wear a brand new rear tyre out this summer.

I've noticed that it has developed a small amount of lateral movement at the flywheel. Ah main bearings me thinks. So to cut a long story short I decided to change them - after all they wont get any better if left. especially as I intend to use the bike as much as possible next summer.

Anyway I got the motor out and started to strip it down. Everything was going fine till it came to remove the inner manicotto dentato (as I believe they are called) from the gearbox output shaft.

My Italian is in very short supply but after looking at the workshop manual - Fig 11, I got a good fitting C spanner and a socket on the clutch hub nut assuming the manacotto would unscrew whilst the shaft was held by the socket on the clutch hub nut. unfortunately all that happened was the clutch hub nut unscrewed. So either the manacotto is screwed on really tight (I expected the clutch hub nut to be tighter, thus letting the manacotto unscrew before the nut) or I'm doing something wrong.
    I'm not a novice when it comes to spanner work, but I have never worked on anything of this vintage before so rather than carry on and risk damage I thought I should seek some advice/help from somebody that has more experience of this motor than I have.

So my question is - have I misunderstood or rather misinterpreted the picture and I am going about it completely wrong?

Any help/advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Clive

2. clive

Anybody?

3. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

Hi Clive, I'm trying to get my buddy Mike (below left) comment. He and our friend Patrick just got back from a big trip in Morocco shown below.

M-PH-MGCG.jpg

4. clive

HI Todd.

Thanks. That would be much appreciated.

5. Mike Peavey

Mike Peavey Just got it firing! GT Contributor

Hi Clive,

Sorry for my late response, I had my right knee replaced the day after your 10/23 post, so I've been somewhat out of touch.
    You are correct, if the flywheel is moving, at all, side to side, you likely have a bad crank bearing. I too had a loose crank bearing on my 1954 Airone Sport, mine was the very expensive right side bearing. As an aside, I found the problem to be the bearing housing in the crankcase half, at least on mine, the plain aluminum had been simply peened over onto the bearing housing to keep the bearing in place. I then reset the new bearing into a bed of Loctite 680.

It has been a number of years ago since I've done this, so let me have a look at my notes and photos, but I seem to recall that I discovered, as you have that the clutch nut loosened independently of shaft. I seem to recall I may have held the clutch hub itself rather than the clutch hub nut.

Apologies for the delay and lack of any real help.

Best regards,
    Mike Peavey
    Boston

6. clive

Hi Mike.

Hope the knee is on the mend nicely.
    I thought I might have to hold the hub but I was unsure as to whether the manicotto has a left hand thread same as the outer one.
    Can you remember?

Regards

Clive

7. Celia Williams

Celia Williams Just got it firing!

AWESOME photo ! Great to see the bikes out in action... and great outfits, too!

8. Celia Williams

Celia Williams Just got it firing!

Airone advice needed ! Hi Guys, this seems to be the place to ask some basic Airone Q's. I just bought a nice example of an Airone and before I get to starting it up I would like to know what is the right oil and plug to use. I have downloaded the manuals, but since they are old I can find no real cross reference for the oil or plug listed. I believe the engine is probably original. For oil I am not really sure if I should be using a non detergent oil or not and what weight. And do you have a modern plug you would recommend ? It had a lawnmower plug in it... I live in Florida, so the bike will probably never really see the "cold". I do have spark and fuel so am anxious to ignite it properly and get 'er down the road. Thanks for any help!