Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Airone Timing

Discussion in 'MonoCylindrico' started by GT-Rx®, Apr 5, 2020.

1. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Attached PDF for an english translation for the Airone timing procedure.

Attached Files:

2. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

On Tuesday, April 14, 2020 Patrick H wrote:

Got my magneto static timing light from The Magneto Guys today, did a quick check and found the points opening at 44mm BTDC on my Falcone Turismo. This is quite a bit more than the book which I thought should be between 33 and 40? The magneto is auto advance. I think if I change it one tooth on the gear it will be a long way out?

The timing light is very easy to use, a great gadget.
    ---
    On Tuesday, April 14, 2020, John R wrote:

In reality there is no need of a key on the magneto shaft / pinion, remove it and set the timing to the correct figure
    A gentle tap with a hollow drift on the centre of the mag auto advance where the nut seats will lock the pinion to the taper
    so the nut can be tightened
    Altering the points gap too much will affect the internal timing of the magneto reducing spark intensity
    ---
    ? - Internal mag timing changes a lot more when the advance weights start to fly out.

Difference between 40 and 44 mm may also be due to worn points rubbing block. Or due to weak advance springs or sticky mechanism that don't allow the advance mechanism to fully retard.

If you want to check timing at full advance, mark the flywheel at the manual advance timing mark, connect a strobe timing light (power from car battery) and rev the engine a bit.

Reality check: diameter of flywheel = 280mm x Pi / 360 degrees = 2.44mm/degree 4mm / 2.44 = 1.64 degrees. So you are not that far out.

SED Sci