Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Alarm?

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by pokeyjoe, Sep 24, 2012.

1. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

Anyone put an alarm on their bike? Any recommendations?

And yes, I know, if someone wants your bike, they're gonna get it. If it happens, I want mine to go out screaming.

2. Paxo

Paxo Cruisin' Guzzisti

We may love our V7's but I doubt that they're very high on most casual scumbag's wanted list. If your lose yours' it will probably have been nicked to order. Alarms can be more trouble than they're worth and anyway no one can hear you scream in the back of a fridge van. Get a decent lock and use it.

3. Penderic

Penderic Tuned and Synch'ed

I put a long range wireless alarm on my V7 classic for the times I cannot keep the bike in sight.

I am more worried about people hitting the bike in parking lots and idiots touching it, than pro's targeting it.

I found a copy of a Scorpion alarm - 2 key fob sized units that beep, vibrate and lights up. I did not plug in the siren that goes on the bike, or connect the bikes horns to it - only the turn signals flash when the alarm is set or triggered.

The key fob will indicate the freq and intensity of the shock to the alarm built in sensor. (extra sensors can be added for securing car interiors, dash area etc.) The top of the line alarm unit will also have colored lights to show the type of alarm triggered)

If you wire up the kill switch to the unit, you can also disable the ignition at will.

The ones at the bike shop were over $200 - I found some on ebay for under $100.

Attached Files:

4. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

Thanks. I think that's a bit much for me. I had to find a new place to park my previous bike because other riders kept bumping into my bike (common motorcycle parking area). Go figure. I want something much simpler than what you pictured. Chirp when you bump or nudge, full-on alarm if you move or try to start without disabling the alarm first. A passive disable would be cool, too. I'll just start shopping around, I guess.

5. Penderic

Penderic Tuned and Synch'ed

Years ago there used to be a self contained licence plate holder and keyed alarm - simple and loud and easily adjustable too! Of course they don't make those anymore!
    You could make one from bits and pieces .....

Attached Files:

6. sign216

sign216 High Miler

In a slightly related matter; I stopped at a market for a few minutes. When I came back to my bike I saw that the tool bag I keep on the side was open. Someone had been looking in it. A fellow sitting in an adjacent car said "nice bike." I suspected him, but didn't accuse him.

I checked, nothing seemed missing. Fortunately I keep my good tools under the seat (titanium wrenches, leatherman). In the bag were my assortment of misc. tools. Nothing I couldn't cheaply replace.

This never happened to me before. Not a good feeling, but it could have been worse.