• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Another leaky Final drive

Thanks Pete, I'll give that a "whack" and see what happens.

I did think about changing the seals since I have the whole thing apart anyhow. Just makes sense. Now I just have to contact my "stealer" and find out how much they plan to gouge me for the parts. Just for comparison, the little paper gaskets were $4 each!! I can only imagine how much they will be dinging me for the seals.

Are there other replacement seals that will work just as well as the Guzzi parts? That also may not have to come all the way from Mandello?

Update

I finally found a puller that worked to let me remove the spacer, washers and bevel gear to get at the large seal. I had to jury rig the puller a bit to get it to work, but it worked great. However... and there is always one of these...although I think I found evidence that the large seal was leaking (due to some residue outside the seal), upon removing the seal... I scored the metal where the seal mates with the transmission..which of course will lead to much more leakage. Hopefully I can use some RTG or gasket sealant to fix this up when I install the new seal.

I was unable to find any puller at any local parts places to remove the shaft on the other end of the rear drive to be able to get at the small seal. A good however here is that I don't see any evidence of leakage from that seal.

The videos at this site http://guzzitek.org/ are fantastic and show how it all should be done. Much much better than looking at static images. They do make it look really easy, and it truly is not that hard, but you just have to be patient. My seal was much more difficult to remove than the one in the video.

Here are some pics outlining some more of the work.

Here is the puller I used
preview_puller0.jpg

here is the modification to let it work
preview_img003002010103016480.jpg

here is the hollow shaft removed
preview_shaft0.jpg

here is the bearing side - the large seal is on the backside of this
preview_bearing0.jpg

here is the EVIDENCE of the leakage around the seal
preview_sealleak0.jpg

Hope I have been a good guinea pig for you guys who have a similar problem.

Thanks again for all the help along the way.

bimmerheadbri said:
Update

I finally found a puller that worked to let me remove the spacer, washers and bevel gear to get at the large seal. I had to jury rig the puller a bit to get it to work, but it worked great. However... and there is always one of these...although I think I found evidence that the large seal was leaking (due to some residue outside the seal), upon removing the seal... I scored the metal where the seal mates with the transmission..which of course will lead to much more leakage. Hopefully I can use some RTG or gasket sealant to fix this up when I install the new seal.

Now that you have scored where the seal rides, it is only repairable with a shaft sleeve. RTV will not hold up in that application. I have obtained them from bearing supply houses. Look at the seal to see what the inner diameter is. Order that size shaft sleeve. Heat it and place it over the damaged shaft. That will give the seal a smooth surface to work on. Scrool to the bottom of this page to see what I mean http://www.mcmaster.com/#shaft-repair-sleeves/=9iqpfm

Heat it and place it over the damaged shaft. That will give the seal a smooth surface to work on.

I took a look at this... very cool. I will check locally with our bearing supply stores for it. the part I scored is not on the shaft though... it's here on the picture where the white screwdriver is pointing (imagine where the seal contacts the metal)

preview_sealleak0.jpg

I wonder if the repair sleeve is short enough not to protrude? I guess I'll just have to go to the bearing shop with the part and see what they've got.

Thanks John. Appreciate the help.

If the score is at the outside (not the lip side) RTV just may do the trick. Shaft sleeves aren't intended to be used on the outer surface.

Sorry John,

I should have been much more clear. The damage is on the inside where the seal ring mates with the drive. The pictures below show the damage much better.

I'm going to a machine shop today to see what they can recommend. It might be that we machine out the damage, then use a repair sleeve before fitting in the new seal. I'll update after I find out what they suggest.

preview_innerdamage1best0.jpg

preview_innerdamage2best0.jpg

The seal should be able to compensate since the damage is in the drive housing, not any of the rotating shafts. A little RTV for insurance may just do the trick. If you machine out the scratches, the seal won't fit tight enough.

I just wish they were only scratches John. These are pretty good gouges. I will need to smooth them out a bit first and I just hope (pray) that with a bit of RTV and a new seal, they will not cause worse leakage.

At the very least, I might be able to find the seal at the machine shop instead of having to get it from Guzzi. It's been 2 weeks already, and I have not heard anything about my gaskets I already ordered (they are supposed to arrive on Nov 16th!!!)

When I bought my Breva 750 new, there was seepage around the bevel box at the time of the first service. After two attempts to end the problem by replacing the seals, the dealer took it apart and determined that the bevel housing (part 1 on the lower diagram) had a flaw in the casting that prevented the seals from sealing. After the new housing was installed, I have never had another leak.

Hello All,

I'm no engineer but I bloody-well cured this one!¬

Prob due to fact that the OIL SEAL, there for the purpose of keeing oil IN,
is not also designed to keep stuff from OUTSIDE coming in.
One with an outside Dust-Seal is all that's needed to put a permanent stop to this long-suffered problem.

BECAUSE there's no outward-pointing Dust-Seal on outside, the brake-dust dropping down from above onto the shaft, works it's way in easily and in so doing fractionally lifts the inward-pointing Oil-Seal, allowing the oil to get out.

I couldn't believe that 3X - main UK agents didn'f seem to know this!

Finally! The weather here in Calgary has finally gotten nice enough to take the Breva out and test to see if all the work I did to solve the leak was successful.

I've taken 2 short rides so far and have not seen any evidence of leakage!!!

Woo hoo. No more gear fluid on the rear tire!!!

Now back to riding.

I used a Loctite product, a metal epoxy, comes in a stick like that Magic Putty stuff you see on tv. Break off a small piece, roll it arouind in your fingers until the colour is consistent, then apply. I put the putty over all the gouges, let it harden, then sanded it smooth with the rest of the metal. Reinstalled the new sealing ring and new gaskets, then put it all back together.

I was a bit skeptical that it would work and was ready to do another tear down, but so far so good!!!! This Loctite stuff is pretty permanent. I really don't think there is much chance of it breaking down over time as there is no friction against it.

Did another 100km on it yesterday and still no leaks so I think we're good to go.

Back