• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Another which bike thread

gvw

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi there

Am new to the forum out of Brisbane. Am looking at upgrading to a Guzzi next month but would appreciate some advice on which one. Have not ridden anything over a 650 but am a big lug at 6'2" and 98kg.

Initially the 2012 Stelvio caught my eye but the ones that have peaked my interest for daily use are the Breva 1200, Sport 1200 or the Griso. Will be down in Sydney until the end of the month and will start test riding when I get back.

I commute everyday about 25km each way into the CBD, the morning ride is early and a quick run, the evening ride is in peak hour and crawling at times. I also do some 1 to 2 day rides down south a bit but want to get into some longer touring.

Looks wise, the Griso SE appeals the most but the Breva 1200 ABS seems the most suited - only a few rides will tell I guess.

I have a Breva 1100 (except for the engine, there's not much difference to the B12). I bought it new in 06 and never tire of it. I don't commute with it but I have used it to commute in the past for a week or two at the time. This is a real keeper.

I find it quite comfortable (and my round trips are 130km). The only thing is the pegs are a little high and you feel cramped (I'm 6' tall and a fair bit heavier set than you), but you get used to it and don't notice it after a while.

I've ridden the Griso for about 10 minutes - what can I say, WOW. This one inspires you to ride fast and I reckon a license loser. But I don't know if it's a good commuter. Depends on how far you need to go I suppose.

I've also taken the Stelvio out and find it very comfortable. Good looking, easy riding etc. From memory it has more leg room than the Breva and is a more upright style of riding too.

They are all good bikes that will grow on you, so choose the one that fits your riding style and purpose best.

These are only my opinions of what I feel. You will develop your own views, just remember, once you buy it, you will have it a long time so ensure your test rides are at least a couple of hours each. Even if you have to rent them.

cheers

Robert

Hi GVW, welcome to my world.
Commuting on a Guzzi, not impossible, still enjoyable. Impossible? I used the wrong word.
Your early morning commute will be a dream, enjoy! The evening peak hour commute will show up the one area Guzzi's are renowned for, a fairly tall 1st gear. By this I mean, compared to your everyday OEM from Japan or wherever, obviously chain drive bikes are easy to fiddle with if you need to. So you will notice a little more clutch slip/feathering is required when doing the inner city crawl, but it has no adverse effects on the bike.

As for your day rides or long distance multi day tours, any Guzzi is a pleasure to ride and PERFECTLY SUITED to the open road, it can only be more enjoyable if you take the mountain route.

When you've ridden them all, remove thine helmet leaving thy head inside, NOW LISTEN TO YOUR HEART!

You are already drawn to the Griso, if your heart (and face) smiles at the thought, buy it. Any little foible like handlebar position or seat height or footpegs etc can easily be changed/modified to fit you like a glove.

I just bought a Bellagio, have owned MK3 Le mans x2, SP1000, Cali II and Cali Stone. I've toured a Le Mans 2200k in 24 hours and got off fresh as a daisy, I've done track days on a Cali and had a ball. They really are universal.

:D :D HEY ROB STILL GETTING THROUGH THE RED BY THE SOUNDS OF IT. OoPS CAP LOCK ON We havent managed to catch up! Are you likely to come to the Spaghetti Rally in Oct(21-23) over in the King Valley? Some good tucker and vino outlets needing your support. ;) ;) ;)

My advice, which is worth exactly what you pay for it, Is go and ride a few. while you're in Sydney go and see John Viton at Motocicolo in St. Peters and take out whatever he has as a demo. If he doesn't have an 8V Griso as a demo take a ride up to my place in Bungendore and you can take my own personal bike out for an afternoon to see if you like it.

If you decide to buy I would say buy from Motocicolo or Brisbane Aprilia/Moto Guzzi because unlike some dealers in SE Queensland their mechanics aren't technophobes who will set up your fuel injection 'Just Like Carbs' :roll: .

Griso is the 'Sportiest' of the current models. Sport 1200 4V, (Which means it has the 8V motor???)
is probably the sweetest 'All Rounder' of the lot. Norge 8V, (See what I mean? They can't decide what to call what!) is equal or equivalent to any similar bike on the market. The twin O2 sensor motor is a real gem and is also available in the 2011 MY Stelvio with the ridiculously large gas tank, (If you like that sort of thong, sorry, thing!)

Any of 'em will commute but the 8V motor's clutch *is* heavy compared to panty-waist Japanese items, also like any Oil/Air cooled motor long periods of traffic are not good for them, they'll do it, but 200,000Km's between rebuilds will become 150,000 or less.

I have the best of all worlds as I have a G12 and an Aprilia Mana, (Two in fact, one here one in the USA.) and if you are looking for an ideal commuter bike that can still take you out for a bit of fun at the weekend a Mana is hard to go past. It's NOT a Guzzi though, even though it should say it on the tank for historical reasons :D .

My guess is that for your purposes the 1200 Sport would be quite likely the most suited but the 8V Griso has the best suspension, best frame and, especially in SE form, the best looks of the lot.

Pete

I appreciate all the input guys, I am sure you have all been through this, many times, at least I am narrowing it down to a brand now after many months.

As you all say, I can only tell by test riding. At the moment based on looks alone (and trying real hard to ignore the smaller fuel tank) it is the Griso SE - will see what two or three weeks brings.

Hi GVW, I am also new to Guzzi's and recently (about 5 weeks ago) purchased the Griso 8V SE. This bike, is simply awesome IMHO, it cruises nicely, it can tour (will going on a tour of Tassie on it early Feb 2012) and it can really shovel on the straight. The best part, get it into the twisties and you will be blown away with how it handles and with that lovely fat torque on tap it's just great fun. The best part, they're not on every corner and have a real charm and character about them. I put the Termi on and replaced the tires for Michelin Pilot 3's from new, otherwise I have kept it stock. I am 6ft 3inch and 150kgs (just a small bloke) and find the Griso pretty good, a little extra distance between the seat to pegs would be great, it's not too bad

As others have said though, the best is to ride the one's that you're interest in and then take it from there. Good luck mate I just love the Griso. :D

Kym,

I'm waiting for the new batch to mature, so I'm dry at the moment (it' is hard).
Not going to the Rally. My keeper will string and quarter me if I ask. I'm doing the Bathurst 1000 early Oct and a week touring with some mates in Oct/Nov. Divorce would be imminent. I'll try next year.

We should catch up with the improving weather.

cheers

Rob

Hi GVW,

Yep, test rides will sort it out for you. I'm 6' 2" and 92Kg and my 1200 Sport 2V fits like a glove. I have fitted an O2 Optimizer which adjusts the air fuel ratio when running below 40% throttle. This makes it run richer, cooler and smoother at low revs. The bike is a real joy to ride in all sorts of conditions, I'm not changing gears as much as I was on my previous bike, a Triumph Sprint ST. I like the torque down low and it just pulls like a train from 2000 rpm up.

Cheers,
Mark.

Went for a test ride session Saturday morning - they only had a Breva 1200 demonstrator but it definitely sold me on Moto Guzzi. Lots of character, was a great ride, loved the exhaust popping. If I did not know there was also the Sport and the Griso to come, I would have bought the Breva on the spot. My mate who was intending to get a Yamaha or Suzuki semi faired as his next bike took a ride also and is now trying to work out a way of stretching his budget to a Guzzi.

Will be back there as soon as they get demonstrators in and will update then.

Hi All,

After not too long deliberating, pulled the trigger on a new SE this afternoon. Will get it sometime next week I hope.

Thanks to Pete and Wayne for their time for some phone calls to help me make up my mind.

Looking forward to it is an understatement.

Well obviously gvw has been having too much fun on his ne SE to post anything here :lol:

Steady on :)
No fun happening yet
Transport was delayed because of the moto gp so ships Oct 17th- maybe 8 days away :(

Back