• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

antigravity battery

francod123

Cruisin' Guzzisti
just purchased the 8-cell antigravity battery from Todd, and haven't had a chance to install yet because I'm waiting to install other parts back in first. I'm going to have to buy some foam I'm assuming because it is much smaller than the OEM battery. Perhaps a custom tray is better? Just want to make sure I can fit it in there with just some more foam and the OEM battery holder bracket shown in the picture below. I'll give it a go soon but thought someone might know something already. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-25 at 9.54.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-25 at 9.54.13 PM.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 400
You see how light it is, yes? Take a piece of large velcro and adhere it to the back of the tray. How much smaller then stock is it? I thought it was pretty close, no?

I've been thinking about a new Li battery. The savings in weight and space would be great.

But...there are too many reports of failures or bad performance. As if this technology isn't ready for prime time yet.

Open to ideas.

The ones I sell >HERE< are at the top of the game, and I have them in all of my personal bikes. Zero issues to date. AG is leading the way with superiority to even what is considered to be the reference; Shorai. All others aren't worth their weight in pennies, caveat emptor.
See the comparison below. Their new Micro Start (same battery technology) will start an american V8 ten times in a row.

AntigravityvShorai2.jpg

GT-Rx® said:
You see how light it is, yes? Take a piece of large velcro and adhere it to the back of the tray. How much smaller then stock is it? I thought it was pretty close, no?

That's a good suggestion Todd. I'll have to put them side by side to tell but it's definitely not as tall and perhaps not as wide. Maybe the lightness of it is fooling me into thinking it is actually that much smaller. No doubt it's smaller though for sure.

Yea I read too about inadequate performance especially in cold weather starts. But, Antigravity seems to be doing it right and testimonials like Todd's were enough to pull the plug on buying one. It's so light! I'm not a weight weenie by any means but shaving weight off is not a bad thing in my opinion, especially when you're talking about lbs. Now, ounces is a different story, that's for the weight weenies. Sorry if the term weight weenie is offending anyone here. Just don't be one and you'll be cool...sorry for that too ;)

bdcfe said:
How about at low temps though? The failure reports we're hearing are that these batteries won't start the bike below about 40 degrees. Also- do they require some sort of warmup procedure before starting the bike? Someone on another forum talked of a two minute warmup routine to 'wake' the battery. The light weight and tiny size of some is very appealing, but it won't work for me if it's a California-weather only solution. I want one but am afraid I'll be stranded on the first cool day.
Are you hearing this about AG batteries? If so, I/they are now offering a monstrous CCA version that will handle any weather situation. I've sold a few to our cold climate friends, and haven't heard back from them, so assume they work well. *If* you need to excite the molecules to start, it doesn't take much. Honk the horn a few times or if you can get the headlight to light, wait 5-10 seconds. The newest AG batts have proven really impressive. The V7 YTZ7 is impressively light @<2 lbs.

bdcfe said:
Todd,

How about at low temps though? The failure reports we're hearing are that these batteries won't start the bike below about 40 degrees. Also- do they require some sort of warmup procedure before starting the bike? Someone on another forum talked of a two minute warmup routine to 'wake' the battery. The light weight and tiny size of some is very appealing, but it won't work for me if it's a California-weather only solution. I want one but am afraid I'll be stranded on the first cool day.

That is true Todd, you are spoiled with that perfect moto weather ya got goin on over there.

bdcfe said:
And to Todd's point- I should have clarified that I don't recall hearing any negative reviews about Antigravity specifically, just lithium in general. I really want this tech to work, I'm just uneasy about the reliability. I'm forced to deal with cold temps half the year and I ride down to about 35 degrees. I would want the smallest form factor possible to free up room for storage. Are the internals the same no matter the case size, CCA etc being equal?
I only sell/use AG for a reason.
The 8-cell is available in a tiny case per below, but you'll have to bend & flatten the cable ends to reach. Happy to get you one. It's 4.25" x 2.25" x 3.75" (Height is measured to the top of the terminal bolt heads). Contact me direct to order.

ag_801_400x560__87910.1393605160.1280.1280.jpg

GT-Rx® said:
How much smaller then stock is it? I thought it was pretty close, no?

While I didn't measure it I held it up to the OEM one and it's a good 2 inches or more shorter, one inch or more less wide, and perhaps .5in less deep. Not a huge difference but pretty decent.

francod123 said:
The higher CCA is only for the 16cell though right? Which wouldn't work in a v7 I'm assuming. Anywho, I'm not worried about it.
Any sizes can be built with higher then advertised CCA's. Yours is one of them. Most average users likely won't, as it's a trade off for amp hours to CCAs. AH is most important to those who utilize above average accessories, etc.

picking up my bike from the shop tonight and they said everything is great but asked me if I wanted to let it sit charging overnight and pick it up tomorrow because the Antigravity battery was a "few volts low." I said I would just pick it up tonight. They test rode it and said everything was fine. I don't have a lithium optimate charger yet either. Should I let them charge it or will a good hard ride bring it up to speed? It has been sitting for about 4 months. AGs website says they should be good for up to a year with no charge (grain of salt, I know), assuming no parasitic drains...which I shouldn't have.

As long as it fires under its own power (no assist or bump start), riding it will re-charge it. Have them verify the running voltage at the battery. Seems every '13-14 V7 has a massive over-charge OEM system.

As long as it fires under its own power (no assist or bump start), riding it will re-charge it. Have them verify the running voltage at the battery. Seems every '13-14 V7 has a massive over-charge OEM system.

Thanks for the prompt reply Todd! I need to grab the optimate lithium charger soon anyhow.

Thanks for the prompt reply Todd! I need to grab the optimate lithium charger soon anyhow.
My pleasure, and the Optimate 2 will do a great job. The Optimate 5 will really revive and balance the cells, though at twice the cost, it can be a life (or wallet) saver in the end. AG uses the 5 in house to charge and maintain their batteries.

Battery technologies are taking leaps and bounds as of late. Look like they were hung up/stall there for awhile and then all of a sudden a surge with battery invention.
I'm sure at some point we will all have these things in our cars and bikes. Sort of like the quartz watch/clock.

Back