• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Any way to adjust the clutch so it catches sooner?

Guzzi_Lou

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I picked up my slightly used '14 California today and I notice that the clutch catches way at the top of the lever travel ... is there a way to adjust it so it's about halfway through the lever travel instead?

I adjusted mine on my Stelvio. Going to assume yours will be the same as long as it is a hydraulic clutch.

There are two ways. The first is the easy way, the second requires a little work.

1. Assuming you have an adjustable lever you can move the lever closer to the grip. This will shorten the stroke and move the engagement point closer to the grip. This also assumes that it is comfortable to operate with the lever closer and that it is not already on the closest setting.

2. If you don't want to move the lever closer or it is already all the way in, you can move the engagement pin on the lever that pushes the plunger in on the hydraulic cylinder. To do this you need to remove the pivot pin on the lever and take the lever off the bike. You will then see the pin that pushes on the cylinder. There is a small grub screw that holds it in place. Mine was pretty stuck so some Wd40 is you friend. Loosen the grub screw and then the pin will turn. May take some force and some WD40 to get it moving. Screw it in to move the point closer. Mark the pin so you know where it was originally. Turn it one half turn and then try it out. It does not take much so be careful. If you go to far in the clutch will drag when u disengage it.

If you're having problems moving this grub screw, apply some heat. I ruined a lever once with so much force it rounded out the allen key socket.

And don't forget to tighten the grub screw again when you are done. You will be scratching your head later when your clutch stops working as the pin screws itself in.

Thx canuck (me too from up the 410) and kiwi dave from the other side of the world.

My Kawasaki Vulcan has the adj't knobs on the outside ... assume Moto Guzzi put them on the inside then. I'll have a look later tonight or on the wkend ... much appreciated!

Ok, so I took the lever off and I don't think this one can be adjusted as per step 2 above (I already have it at 4, the closest dial setting in regards to step 1). Nevertheless, here's a pic from the underside:

clutch-lever-edited_zpsm072friw.jpg

Hydraulic clutches cannot be adjusted like a cable. Only adjustment is at the levers. Your stock levers have adjusters, yes?

I adjusted mine on my Stelvio. Going to assume yours will be the same as long as it is a hydraulic clutch.

There are two ways. The first is the easy way, the second requires a little work.

1. Assuming you have an adjustable lever you can move the lever closer to the grip. This will shorten the stroke and move the engagement point closer to the grip. This also assumes that it is comfortable to operate with the lever closer and that it is not already on the closest setting.

2. If you don't want to move the lever closer or it is already all the way in, you can move the engagement pin on the lever that pushes the plunger in on the hydraulic cylinder. To do this you need to remove the pivot pin on the lever and take the lever off the bike. You will then see the pin that pushes on the cylinder. There is a small grub screw that holds it in place. Mine was pretty stuck so some Wd40 is you friend. Loosen the grub screw and then the pin will turn. May take some force and some WD40 to get it moving. Screw it in to move the point closer. Mark the pin so you know where it was originally. Turn it one half turn and then try it out. It does not take much so be careful. If you go to far in the clutch will drag when u disengage it.

See no.2 above...

IMG_2818_zps2b2wnl04.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, so I took the lever off and I don't think this one can be adjusted as per step 2 above (I already have it at 4, the closest dial setting in regards to step 1). Nevertheless, here's a pic from the underside:

clutch-lever-edited_zpsm072friw.jpg

Pin on the lever....not the hydraulic cylinder............The long pin at the end of the lever in HandyAndy's post. There is a grub screw that holds that pin in place. Once you loosen the grub screw, the pin will screw in or out. In for closer engagement to the grip, out of further away.

There is no pin on the lever. The lever pushes into the plunger on my pic so perhaps the pin is in there ... I just ordered a set of levers from Todd's store here so problem resolved. :D

I also have a small hand with short reach and found that even on the closest dial setting the clutch engagement point had my fingers almost straight and it was hard to "feather" and "finesse" the bite point, so I took the clutch lever out (as per image from HandyAndy above) put it in a vice with soft jaws and very slowly tightened it until the lever began to bend at the pivot point about an inch to the left of the adjuster dial. It's now almost (but not quite) horizontal and took several attempts to get it right. Adjusting the dial afterwards to bring the lever as close as possible to the bar means engagement is now within 1/2 inch of releasing lever - works nice for me, just do it slowly as although the alloy is stiff it will bend if you tighten, pause, tighten, pause - Same technique I've used on my other bikes

Last edited:
Back