• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Anybody actually beaten a speeding ticket?

guzzimark

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Got popped, again. CHP popped me at 80 in a 65.... Have looked at going to court to try and beat it. Have come across thousands of web sites claiming to be able to beat the CHP issued speeding ticket, anything from $29 to $129. Read all the supposed testemonials, but has anybody here ever really used any of these and gone to court and beaten it?

Not sure if i'm wasting my time or not.

By the way this is the 3rd in 23 months (only ever had one ticket before this,23 yrs ago). Managed to do traffic school for one, not eligable for school on this. That's the reason for thinking of trying to fight it....Is it worth it???????

Not sure about where you live, but here in Victoria, Australia, if you get done speeding by less than 10km/ph and your record is good, you can write in, admit fault and request a warning, they usually accept and withdraw the penalty.

I actually did this on the side of the road with the officer, and he agreed it would be a waste of effort writing me a ticket.

But 80 in a 65, and I presume mph not kph, Hmmm.

It's worth it to go. the cop may not show. plead not guilty if he's not there. If he is there ask if you can plead it down. I was offered in NY to plead to unsafe speed, no points on license, $150, but no long term effects. Off course this was 14 years ago and I haven't been stopped for speeding since. asks to change the appearance day.

good luck

You might try getting the hearing changed to another place, other than the one on the ticket. Claim inconvenience....if it is inconvenient enough the cop may not show, or he may not get the word it's been moved.

SgtCrump wrote:
You might try getting the hearing changed to another place, other than the one on the ticket. Claim inconvenience....if it is inconvenient enough the cop may not show, or he may not get the word it's been moved.
great idea. I've beaten one cause the cop didn't show.. He knew he couldn't beat me, he gave me a careless because he didn't get a radar lock. I would have told the judge I was avoiding an accident with a truck and not being careless at all. Judge, I really care about my life!.

A couple of the folks on another list have beaten tickets using the tactics in one of the Nolo Press books. There is one specifically for beating tickets in California as well as one for all other states. I'll ask for the specifics and let you know.

jdg

As roblatt said: ahem. Speeding is your decision, you seem to admit you were, so don't you think you could assume the consequences if caught?!

Aaronmedick wrote:
It's worth it to go. the cop may not show. plead not guilty if he's not there. If he is there ask if you can plead it down. I was offered in NY to plead to unsafe speed, no points on license, $150, but no long term effects. Off course this was 14 years ago and I haven't been stopped for speeding since. asks to change the appearance day.

good luck

This is good advice. As long as the cop gets his overtime and the government gets some cash, they're open to just about anything.

If the cop isn't there, move for dismissal, though in some venues the government gets more than one bite at the apple.

You can always contact the prosecutor and see if he'll plead it down; no points on your license and pay a fine.

The courts are already crowded and I've heard of this being a legit way of dealing with a ticket that gives something to both parties.

the best way to beat a speeding ticket is to NOT stop when the cherries go on. keep going!

;-)

I guess it'd work even better if 2 minutes later you turn in your tracks and head straight for those cherries? :silly:

The best way to beat the speeding ticket is not to get one in the first place :woohoo: Slow down and enjoy the ride, do your speeding on track days ;)

Got mine for doing 85 in a 65 and was glad he only wrote me up for doing 85 mph. I was caging it on rt.95 on my way to Oatman, AZ on the start of a rt. 66 thing with my wife. Her Passat does rather well at 110 from time to time passing trucks and all those "other" people.
I did notice that most folks don't speed much on that stretch of road. I found out why.
It's nice to support the community of Needles, I suppose.
Spent a Saturday in traffic school for that one.
First ticket in 30 years. :angry: BAH! Lost my 30 year cherry

xenarchi wrote:
the best way to beat a speeding ticket is to NOT stop when the cherries go on. keep going!

;-)

Well, it depends, I suppose.

See, e.g, this: http://wsbradio.com/localnews/2009/09/f ... chase.html

On the merits of contesting a ticket, got this recently from an APD officer.

Obviously, jurisdictions and laws vary, but it may be helpful, as frequently traffic laws and procedures are standardized across the country. You may find yours surprisingly similar. So, FWIW ...

===================

"Good Evening Bill -

Normally a speeding ticket is hard to beat (if the Officer shows up for the Court date). However, if one is inclined to contest the citation there are grounds on which to do so other than stating one did not know his/her speed -- which will always fail with a Judge. Below I have cut and pasted a section from the APD's Standard Operating Procedures which outline when a speed measuring device CANNOT be used. While this citation was issued outside the City of Atlanta [in a nearby Georgia county] - these statutory limitation will still apply in Ms. [X]'s case. She may wish to read the statutory limitations and see if any apply to her traffic stop.

If not, she should certainly speak with the Solicitor prior to her Court time. If she explains her exemplary driving record the Solicitor does have the lee-way to opt for resolutions other than a fine. If Ms. [X] cannot sway the Solicitor then she may wish to plea No Contest which will require her to pay a fine but will keep the points of her driving record (at least that is what used to occur).

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

4.10.3 Operational Procedures

(CALEA 5th ed. standard 61.1.9b)

1. No speed measuring device will be operated until the appropriate application for a permit has been made by the City’s governing authority and the subsequent approval and authorization received from the Georgia Department of Public Safety.

2. No speed measuring device will be operated:

a. Within 500 feet of warning signs on the state highway system advising motorists that speed detection devices are being employed (O.C.G.A. 40-14-6);

b. From a concealed vehicle or one that is not visible to approaching motorists for at least a distance of 500 feet (O.C.G.A. 40-14-7);

c. Within 300 feet of a reduction of speed limit sign inside City of Atlanta limits (O.C.G.A. 40-14-9);

d. Within a period of 30 days following the posting of a revised or new speed limit sign (O.C.G.A. 40-14-9)

e. On any street or roadway which has a grade in excess of seven percent (O.C.G.A. 40-14-9);

f. Without being certified for compliance by a technician possessing a certification as required by the Department of Public Safety (Laser not required under Federal Communications Commission; O.C.G.A. 40-14-4); or

g. For any reason other than for the promotion of the public health, welfare, and safety (O.C.G.A. 40-14-11).

3. Speeding citations will only be initiated if the violator’s speed:

a. Exceeds the posted speed limit by more than ten miles per hour unless the speed is too fast for prevailing conditions;

b. Is more than the posted limit by any amount within a marked school zone one hour before, during, or after normal hours of school operation; or

c. Exceeds the posted speed by any amount within a residential zone that has a marked limit of less than 35 miles per hour (O.C.G.A. 40-14-8).

4. Additional operational requirements: The precise method for using a speed measuring device and the enforcement of those laws applying to speed will vary in accordance with the type of equipment used. Generally, the following procedures will apply:

a. The equipment must be properly installed and operated according to the manufacturer’s specifications;

b. The effective range of the unit must be thoroughly understood by the operator so visual observation can support the speed readings; and

c. Any unit not meeting the manufacturer’s minimum accuracy requirements will be removed from service and will not be used until it has been serviced, tested, and re-certified by a qualified technician. (O.C.G.A. 40-14-5)

4.10.4 Proper Care and Upkeep (CALEA 5th ed. standard 61.1.9c): will be performed by the operator, as specified by the equipment’s manufacturer, and will include cleanliness, daily inspections, and necessary follow-up action to correct any noted deficiencies."

I have beaten a speeding ticket. It's actually quite simple. It costs money. You either get a referral or get out the yellow pages and find a traffic lawyer. I had one in AZ back in the 90's because I had a 911 and the insurance companies there plugged you good for a ticket (at least $450 per year for 39 months). I had a guy that cost me $450 per ticket. Beat two of them that way. He just showed up to court, then delayed, then did it again then delayed, etc. Cop finally misses a date and your ticket is out.

Since speeding tickets and the like aren't criminal (civil code), if it's your word against theirs you lose on preponderance of evidence laws. The $450 is what a good lawyer will charge.

Back